@EldarMurtazin: "Nokia N9 Hardware is near perfect, I like it."

| October 4, 2010 | 105 Replies

This N9?

A while back, Eldar didn’t seem too positive about the N9 and was actually supposed to leak his review early August. Whatever happened since then, he’s kept silent (no N8esque reveal) and was found today to say

“Nokia N9 Hardware is near perfect, I like it.”

NEAR PERFECT? And it’s Eldar saying this? About a Nokia? :p

I have no idea what perfect hardware is by Eldar’s books, but he is a man of high expectations. Similarly, (for me) I’d be wanting that N8 camera. Then it would be perfect. But is that why it’s “NEAR” perfect because he doesn’t have it?

But hold your horses – on MeeGo…

“In terms of SW is not so good at the moment – but hope they will change it in 2011″

Eldar has also mentioned previously that Nokia’s own version of MeeGo looks better than Vanilla MeeGo we see floating about. To be fair, as an incomplete piece and judging as final, MeeGo does look like there’s MUUUUCH room for improvement. I also hope MeeGo handset UI gets its act together, especially now with Mr Skillsman and Mr Elop watching over.

via @chilko

oh and in reply to @chilko for pointing out that comment:

OMG, i’m so bias how you could mention such words from me :)

Tags: , , ,

Category: Nokia, Nseries, Rumours

1. Andre says:

George :

No, that is not my point.

I don’t mind both coexisting, I just don’t see a need for S^4 if it’s going to try to mimic MeeGo.

Keep iterating S^3 and the lower-end OSes. S^3 can run QT anyways so the apps are portable. The fact that S^4 exists means S^3 and MeeGo has less resources. I think a better S^3 and MeeGo is better than having all 3 but being weaker across the board.

Not mimic, mirror.
    There will be differences but there will also be similarities.
    It’s better to do that for Joe Average simply because he won’t care what OS it runs. Once it can run all the cool apps that you’d usually find on the more expensive phone, he’ll be inclined to pick it up anyway right?

In essence it’ll be like this. Symbian has a decent UI that looks somewhat similar to MeeGo’s UI. There are a couple of differences with MeeGo devices having much more flash, pop and whizz while being that bit more zippy and fun to use. However, the basic apps will be available to both, keeping Joe average with his cheap phone happy. Now if Joe Average happens to start looking around more and realizes that he can get something better than his current phone but not lose any of the apps he spent oh so much money on, you can bet your bottom dollar he’ll switch to the somewhat more flashy UI, OS and device.

It’s vertical migration and can only serve to benefit the company ;)

• George says:

Andre :Not mimic, mirror.
      There will be differences but there will also be similarities.

No disagreement there.

My contention is that a stripped down version of MeeGo makes sense than a high-end Symbian. Always easier to take stuff a way than to add something new, especially if it duplicates work done on another platform.

Now, I’m not sure how “cheap” its going to be. Is S^3 going to go away altogether? At minimum S^4 will sit just below MeeGo so the differentiation may not be as significant as with an S^60 or S^1 device. If all S^3 goes away and S^4 extends all the way down to the super low-end smartphone device then I can see how no version of MeeGo could go that far, but as far as I know, S^4 is the high-end of the Symbian line so to me its replaceable by a low-end MeeGo if they were to create one.

It’s vertical migration and can only serve to benefit the company

I don’t disagree about the vertical migration. Now, if creating a MeeGo Lite would prevent MeeGo proper from being as good as it could be then it wouldn’t make sense, but given the right resources I think MeeGo could be optimized to run on lesser hardware

It’s just an opinion and I’ll leave it at that. There’s no point in going around and around. I respect your opinion, but this is mine.

• Andre says:

S^4 will hopefully be able to run on the current S^3 hardware with S^3 devices being upgradable. That’s my hope at least, otherwise adding S^4 to the mix will lead a muddled mess.

In my ideal world I’d have S^3/S^4 positioned where S^1 is right now. Mid-range, creeping into the feature-phone territory at the absolute bottom-end.

With MeeGo devices being the cream of the crop for both the manufacturer and the market. While having S40 maintain it’s current role.

In a sense I can see this happening because
        I honestly believe that MeeGo will only see 1 maybe 2 devices a year at best. 1 slate and 1 with a keyboard,
        with Nokia attempting to keep these devices as their premium devices and hopefully with capabilities above and beyond what is currently being posited by other manufacturers.

• Andre says:

And I value yours, hence why I’m engaging in this back and forth debate :)

• George says:

I appreciate that.

I don’t know if these are good examples but back in the day when Seagate used to make a bunch of drives all individually. The end result was that the drives were expensive and they were failing. The CEO asked them to have more common components but the engineers kept saying there was no way they could use components across drives because each drive was different. The new CEO would have none of that. I forget if he gave them an ultimatum but in the end the engineers came back with a design for drives that more than what the CEO asked for.

You see the same in other areas like the auto industry where Nissan used the 3.*L VQ engine across low-range sedans (Altima), to the mid range (Maxima) then luxury (G35, M35) and a high-end sports car (350Z). The same engine tweaked over and over.

I’m not married to the S^4 going away, but all I know is Nokia has waaay too many variations of Symbian today and something has to give. They need to streamline. Another option is to keep S^4 but dump S^1 and S^3. I don’t know but they need to make fewer models and spend more time making the software great the first time around, and not waiting for PR 2.0 to get the OS where they want it to be each time.

• Andre says:

In that regard, we’re in agreement. They seriously need to trim their portfolio significantly as well as minimize the different software versions they’re working with at any given point.

If I so much as see a S^1 device released between now and year-end I might have a stroke.

2. I just like the helpful info you provide on your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and take
    a look at again right here regularly. I’m slightly certain I will
    be informed many new stuff right right here! Good luck for
    the following!

3. This is because there is such a leading divergence that is observed when wearing the
    Nike air shoes. The 1960′s saw UGG boots becoming a fashion staple among the mod and hip of
    the day. Natural colors are great also but now
    you enjoy more of a selection to decide from.

4. Carlos says:

magnificent issues altogether, you simply won a new reader.
    What would you recommend about your submit that yyou made some
    days in the past? Anyy certain?

my website :: sublimedirectory – Carlos -