Videos: Symbian^1 versus Symbian^3 – what has changed?

| November 15, 2010 | 23 Replies

“Everybody says, that Symbian^3 hasn’t changed, but look for yourself!”

I’m surprised no such detailed comparison has been done. Actually planned to do it myself this weekend but caught up on coursework (which I’m half doing as I write this). But jenjaman has done an excellent job and split it into a four round match between old and new Symbian touch.

Although the comparison is with the C6-00 and not N97/N97 mini, the software is possibly nigh on identical. Screen size difference shouldn’t matter too much, neither should AMOLED vs LCD (except AMOLED looking better) though having a capacitive versus resistive indeed does.

S^3 representatives are N8 and C7.

Watching the C6-00 S^1 is quite frustrating.

Dialler, App Menu, Music Player (zomg menu in landscape of S^1 wtf :o the ugly sidebar), Messaging

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNYqnnWPvw]

Ovi Maps

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDnvqp_MYH8]

Ovi Store

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub7BDoduKw]

Web Browser

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmKFzaDfhTo]

So there you go. Quite a lot has changed – but is this even enough?

TheUltimate111

Thanks to jenjaman for the heads up :D

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: 5th Edition, Nokia, Nseries, S60, Symbian, Video

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Symbian^3 vs. S60 5e édition, quels changements (vidéos) ? | November 15, 2010
  2. Vergleich: Symbian^1 und Symbian^3 « S60inside | November 15, 2010
  1. Ali Abdulla says:

Finally, i get to c the new ovi beta

i tried to install it on ma N8, but i get an “Update Error” :(((, hope that would be fixed soon.

2. Ali Abdulla says:

okay, nvm, i just checked the betalabs again

apparently , there was an update at nov 3erd.

works like a charm atm, downloading maps :D

3. estatr says:

Funny. Nokia is a thief

4. Rant says:

I’m genuinely amazed! There is improvement in every single irritation I had with v5. Smooth operating and fast loading/rendering of everything. All that’s missing is some eye candy to win over those that walked away from Symbian or those that have never tried and aren’t drawn by the exterior of Symbian.
    But this video proves there isn’t anything fundamentaly wrong with Symbian, perhaps some weird menu placement and such.

5. Enn says:

I think this guy can’t tell the difference of capacitive screen and resistive screen.
    Most of the time the irresponsive of the C6 is because of he didn’t really “touch” it.

• Rant says:

Can’t agree there, it is also due to the double tap/single tap troubles of S1. Have it every day, mostly when going in the App folder. When it doesn’t respond you tap again and accidentally tap an item in the apps folder. Really annoying.

• KeiZka says:

A question of how used one is, I guess. Hardly ever even notice these days the double tap.

But I agree with your general assessment earlier.

• the_ultimate111 says:

Man, you can really see that I touched it, and it was really hard. I have a big experience with resistive screen, but N8 makes me to loose my habbits.

6. eracnid says:

This videos has not been represented correctly.

1. If you update the firmware of C6, you get the same dialer which is available in Symbian^3.

2. The maps on Symbian 1 was v3.04 where as Symbian 3 reflected v3.06 beta. It should be compared with both versions, as C6 is fast likewise N8, but the difference due to hardware acceleration. Is it worth to buy another symbian ?

3. There is a qwerty KB for C6 too, which was not reflected here.

I think there is nothing improved in the UI as compared to previous touch mobiles by Nokia. The only difference you see in N8 due to the hardware acceleration and more ram. Everything else is still the same UI stuff.

• Ali Abdulla says:

hardware acceleration is enough imo, you do notice that it increased performance like 6x XD

• the_ultimate111 says:

You can have the same contacts apps? You can have theraded messaging in C6? You can alter the music player? You can add Flash 10.1 to C6? You can give C6 Wi-Fi to Gprs roaming? You can have 3 desks in C6?
      You can have the same Ovi Store? The maps version on C6 doesn’t make significant defference, because it lags hard. If you think, that Android presents greater navigation, you’re totally wrong.
      There is Hardware Qwerty in C6, but it is not wise to compare it with virtual one.
      Also you can’t change the video player and gallery in Symbian^1. You can’t get the clock, you can’t get the new graphics engine, etc.
      Overally the system has 100% changed, it’s easy to work with Symbian^3, when it is hard to work with Symbian^1.

• Recluse says:

the_ultimate111 :

Yes. Yes. Yes. Flash 10.1 isn’t on Symbian yet. Yes. No, just 2 desks.

• Kenny says:

2 desks on Symbian^1? How?, i can only hide and show the icons on my N97

• the_ultimate111 says:

Waht yes yes yes, how can you add the same contacts app in C6? And how would you get threaded messgaes without a hack? Wi-Fi roaming too?
          Nice try with 2 desk – it’s still just one – with and without icons, very useful.

7. James says:

In video 1, when a number(or character) is being keyed in, the related contact list is being shown on top of the dialing keypad. My N8 doesn’t show that at all, it just shows the number being keyed in. Can anyone please tell me if there is an option setting for that as I can’t seem to find it. Thanks.

• the_ultimate111 says:

If you start dialing a number, starting from +…. it will just dial, if you use if like t9 keyboard, it will show you your contacts.

8. James says:

Hmmm… my N8 just show the keyed in numbers without the contact listing.

9. amit says:

hello sir/madam
    i always prefer nokia handset.. and a new nokia x6 is best smartphone and look is very stylish..
    but one thing i found that there is no external card slot.. i know 8gb memory is enough.
    but if this is fail due any reason so it will be very costly for repairing……
    i want to say that nokia should make a mobile as x6 but it ought to be a external memory card slot and no 8gb internal memory….and also price should be around 11000 to 12000 INR.
    i think you will please keep in mind ..
    plz think about this .
    i want to convey this message through phonedog,
    PLZ TELL TO NOKAI OFFICE..
    if nokia accept my points so please inform me in email id- contactpatel9@gmail.com ..
    i will definitely buy this new nokia x6. thank you

10. gustavo says:

WELL I JUST WANNA SAY IM LIVING NOKIA FOR ANOTHER BRAND BECAUSE RECENTLY I DID BUY A NOKIA N97 AND IT WAS A BIG LIE, IM VERY VERY DISSAPOINTED WITH NOKIA, YOU SHOULD NOT THINK WE ARE STUPIDS CONSUMERS…DONT LIE WITH YOUR PRODUCTS NOKIA TO US. FOR THE RECORD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE 23 PEOPLE ARE CHANGING TO ANOTHER MOBILE BRAND… OR UPDATE THE N97 SOFTWARE GETTING IT BETTER… A LOT BETTER…

11. Utkarsh says:

I love nokia and have a nokia 5233,can you tell me what is the difference between resistive and capacitive touchscreen?

12. hiring says:

I’m no longer certain the place you’re getting your
    information, however good topic. I must spend a while studying much more or understanding more.
    Thank you for magnificent information I was looking for
    this information for my mission.