I didn’t mean to do this comparison (Sorry for the mess on the wall) but on the early hours of the morning I was just checking video on N97 to run out its battery(to test out the Powermat wireless charger for review) and noticed that the N97 digital zoom and general video quality was sooo bad in comparison to the Nokia N8 (indoor).
- Greater depth of field on the N8 (N97 – ridiculously close though not as bad as 5800). Notice how much more of the “scene” is visible.
- No autofocus on N97 but this active-hyperfocal focusing of N8 means pretty much everything is in focus except the closer macro ranges (I think about 50-60CM is blurry on N97, not that good for self-held vlogs).
- N8 much better with this low-ish indoor lighting.
- Check out the usable digital zoom with the N8. On the N97 you can see all it does is ENLARGE the pixels hence blockiness.
- Zooming is also frighteningly choppy on the N97. I did complain before that we don’t have smooth zooming (as seen in ancient 6630) but compared to N97 N8 zooms like butter.
- File size of the N8 video is 4x the N97, 40MB vs 10MB. Well there are 4x the pixels. Note, comparable files from say, Samsung Pixon 12 are MUCH larger.
Make sure you click 720p for N8 and 360p for N97.
Note: N900 does shoot at higher resolution than N97, at 848*480
BTW: It’s day 2 of MeeGo Conference. Check out the live streams if you can.
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, thanks for reading my post. My name is Jay and I'm a medical student at the University of Manchester. When I can, I blog here at mynokiablog.com and tweet now and again @jaymontano. We also have a twitter and facebook accounts @mynokiablog and Facebook.com/mynokiablog. Check out the tips, guides and rules for commenting >>click<< Contact us at tips(@)mynokiablog.com or email me directly on jay[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- Nokia N8 Vs. Nokia N97 video comparison | WOMWorld/Nokia | November 17, 2010