How To: Changing Fonts in Symbian^3 (very easy, done in a minute) Nokia N8, C6-01, C7

| November 23, 2010 | 72 Replies

UPDATE 2: Major apologies for those trying this and finding errors. As noted, try at own risk. This already mucks up Ovi Store and prevents it from starting. Also I’ve had problems with Nokia Panorama but that’s been buggy since this morning.

Back in June we asked should Nokia change their icons and fonts. From 496 votes as it stands, 71.98% agreed on both, with 8.47%% only wanting icon change, 7.86 just font change and 11.69% were happy with fonts and icons the way they are (not exactly encouraging).

Well icons change variably with themes and are mostly up to the theme designer (check out screenshots at end of post to see different icon styles). Fonts on the other hand is soo easy to change yourself thanks to this tip from gadgetbuff to mynokiablog.com/tips! That’s great because the Nokia font has been heavily criticized as one of the factors making Nokia phones look a little old. We were exstatic when we saw a different font in Symbian^4 leaked screenshots only to find out they were modified.

“A font says a lot, though quite subtly, and so often overlooked.

The narrow Nokia font made sense in older phones when trying to conserve on pixel usage. But now we’ve got high res screens and can afford wider fonts, narrow, sharp fonts look much less appealing than their plumper, rounder counterparts.

The curviness of “Century Gothic” [Very similar to "Prelude", used in Palm Pre I think] is often found in children’s books because of the emphasis on classic alphabet shapes and thus readability. Prelude is probably the best font at the moment being used on phones. The letters are very curved, a little more readable than Century Gothic (E.G. letter r), but less wasteful on character spacing.”

So how can you change your font too?

Click to read the rest of this article to change your icon fonts!

Note: this is for Symbian^3.  Folks have been doing this since old Symbian days. We don’t know yet if there will be any adverse reactions so to speak for S^3. This is not complicated at all. The thing that will take the longest to do is deciding which font use :D From steps 3- 6 that could be done in a minute. When you want to change fonts again you’ll only need steps 5 and 6.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk.

UPDATE 2: As noted, try at own risk. This already mucks up Ovi Store and prevents it from starting. Also I’ve had problems with Nokia Panorama but that’s been buggy since this morning.

To fix, remove memory card and delete “Resource” Folder.

Instructions:

1. You’ll need a memory card. Do not do this from mass memory.

2. Then get any True type font you wish ( should be of extension .ttf ) . You can download fonts online (just google for them) or find them on your pc. (In XP go to control panel>fonts) Yes I’m still on XP and will be until they stop supporting it :p.

3. In the Memory Card’s Root (the first main view with all the other folders) create a new folder called Resource. E.g. you should now have F:/Resource

4. Now inside  F:/Resource create a new folder called “Fonts” so now you’ll have F:/Resource/Fonts

5. Paste your font there. I have chosen Avenir which is very similar to the Palm Pre’s Prelude font.

6. Now make four copies of it. Ignore the “copy of….” we’ll change that. After, rename each one to have the exact names as shown below. (In windows you won’t see the ttf bit.)

• nosnr60.ttf
  • nssb60.ttf
  • nstsb60.ttf
  • S60ZDIGI.ttf

7. Turn your phone off. Pop the memory card back in. Reboot. Some screenshots below

Now it’s up to you want font you use. It doesn’t take any time at all now that you have the folders set up. Here the fatter font does consume slightly more space but I think it’s much more pleasing to the eye than the narrow squashed default Nokia font.

What’s your favourite font? Got some screenshots? :D

Via Gadgetbuff

Update: Got a few minutes – just noticed after backing up, my theme reverted back to default. Here’s what it looks like on a different theme.

keyboard not working to well here. No contrasting colours (but that’s due to theme)

Tags: , , , ,

Category: How to:, Nokia, Nseries, Symbian

1. Sh says:

Who can tell me the name of this theme on screenshoot

2. Curious says:

what happens if i remove the memory card? will the fonts still work?

3. Mihai says:

I can’t create a folder named “Resource” On my memory card… nor can I copy it from my PC… got any ideas?

4. arh24 says:

does it work on C7?

5. Hardeep says:

But after doing this my ovi stoe is not working

6. agung rb says:

*first sorry for my bad english*
    why in my n8 with symbian anna leaked the font not change whole. Only in application ???

7. ajay says:

i cant create resource file..and i cant copy as u said four times..what do i do now?

8. sabir says:

we can only use this font as u show up there ??? or something else… reply me plzz

9. cikin says:

how come my font only change the CLOCK only.not change whole like yours???please help me

10. maaz says:

In lumia 800 where is profile & how to change the font size of contact list

11. SR_Karl says:

How the heck can it be that Nokia is supplying a chinese dictionary for Symbian phones (N8-00) without the phones being able to display the translation as chinese characters.

Basically chinese characters can be displayed, like in chinese webpages, but not in office documents or the dictionary.

• SR_Karl says:

I got it to work, but don’t ask how.

Found out that after installing an “old” Nokia Font numbers and also letters in some screens where not displayed at all. After booting with this “bad” Font and reinstalling a working one after that, it all of a sudden worked. Dictionaries and Office documents display chinese characters now.

Lost the function after cleaning up the “Fonts” directory from disabled entries, but could restore function by doing again as described.

Strange, but it works and I’m not gonna touch it again until Nokia brings something serious.

12. nooor says:

when i change themes on c6-01 it takes so much time …. what i have to do just waiting …

13. Prem says:

This works well! however if youre using swype, please disable it (thru swype settings) Rebooting twice usual helps.

You can create the Resource folder easily on the phone if you use a data cable, bluetooth wont cut it. The resource folder is usually present if you have had it on an older nokia phone, then just copy over the files.

One worry is that i still cant get chinese input, i can now at least see chinese characters. If any knows it will help.

14. zaw says:

yes , i do same your instruction step by step. .Now i can see my new font name in my phone(Z:Resource\Font). But font style is not change until now. Why like that happen ? So i remove my memory card from my phone but my new font name stay same place until now. I can not remove them. So what should i do ? How to do ? My mobile is Nokia C7-00 . Please help me for my problem. (sorry for my poor English )

15. Aditya says:

Its not working on my Nokia E5…. Help me guys :(

16. furniture says:

Precisely how would you manage to create this kind of fantastic crowd of commenters to your site?

17. wael says:

i did exactly what you said in this article ,but it didn;t work on my nokia E5-00 mobile

18. ashfak malil says:

my fon c6 and i c’not read god hindi font giv me sagetion.

19. You’ll be met with an earthquake and woof, then afterward
    go talk to Pua. When somebody mentions grow tents an awful of people have no idea what is
    meant. There are many different styles and types of equipment that can be purchased from your local grow shop or
    garden store.

20. rajesh says:

no need to do all these steps just to change fonts we can instal font zoomer and can change fonts but i want to instal more fonts with exisiting fonts like some languages