GSM Arena's Screen Showndown: Nokia's CBD AMOLED – best contrast, best colours, better sunlight readability than Super AMOLED!
The meticulous folks at GSM Arena (Thanks Aymen Kanzali for the heads up to email@example.com) have compared the display technologies used in HTC Desire HD, LG Optimus E900, Sony Ericsson X10, Nokia N8, iPhone 4, Nokia C6-01, Samsung Wave and Galaxy S.
Basically, LCD vs AMOLED vs IPS LCD vs Super Clear LCD, vs CBD AMOLED vs Super AMOLED.
Nokia C6-01 with Clear Black Display (CBD) AMOLED proves to be a mighty contender, having best contrast with the Wave, followed closely by the N8 leaving iPhone 4 behind.
For sunlight readability, CBD is in first place with iPhone 4, BEATING the SUPER AMOLED buddies Galaxy S and Wave to 2nd and 3rd place.
On best colours – Super AMOLED? No guess again it’s Nokia’s C6-01 CBD with best colour rendition, edging out the two SUPER AMOLEDS.
BTW, as an early concern of mine and highlighted by GSMArena, due to the N8′s super zealous Ambient light sensor, it appears that the screen is dimmer than what it can actually display as it keeps lowering light levels despite setting it to full.
GSM Arena goes into each display into more detail. Here’s what they’ve said about CBD AMOLED:
ClearBlack AMOLED (Nokia C6-01).
The invention of the Finns is not about the display itself. It’s the glass over it, which is said to act like a polarizing filter.
It may sound like just another gimmick but its real life benefits are huge. We for one, were pretty impressed with the Nokia C6-01 screen. With reflections reduced even further compared to the N8 you get to experience the full potential of the underlying AMOLED.
That means you get to enjoy the highest contrast in the industry (Clear Blacks share the lead with Super AMOLED). Artificial lighting no longer takes its toll on the contrast and even the bright sun has negligible effect.
Viewing angles are comparable to the best and the impressive color balance (a hard one to pull off on AMOLED) rounds off a thoroughly impressive overall performance.
Nokia is really going the right way with its CBD technology too – it’s just a matter of time before they lift that resolution cap and start using it to its fullest.
Fingers crossed for the Nokia N9 – Bigger display, Higher Resolution with CBD AMOLED.
via GSM Arena
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, thanks for reading my post. My name is Jay and I'm a medical student at the University of Manchester. When I can, I blog here at mynokiablog.com and tweet now and again @jaymontano. We also have a twitter and facebook accounts @mynokiablog and Facebook.com/mynokiablog. Check out the tips, guides and rules for commenting >>click<< Contact us at tips(@)mynokiablog.com or email me directly on jay[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- GSM Arena’s Comprehensive Mobile Phone Screen Performance Testing « KLOR.net | November 30, 2010
- Las mejores pantallas táctiles del mercado | My Little Posterous | November 30, 2010
- Video: Nokia Promos – What is Clear Black Display (CBD?) Wouldn’t you want blacker blacks, whiter whites, brighter colours and better battery life? | My Nokia Blog | December 1, 2010
- Nokia E7 Review from All About Symbian : My Nokia Blog | February 8, 2011
- Bocoran Nokia E6-00 Muncul Lagi Plus Sebuah Foto | Coretan Adit38 (dan Galaktus) | March 10, 2011
- Video: Nokia N9′s AMOLED CBD VS Samsung’s Super AMOLED PLUS : My Nokia Blog | June 24, 2011
- Help needed!! A phone around 15000 - Digit Technology Discussion Forum | June 27, 2011