Ovi Store reaches 3.5 Million Downloads a day! Up from 3M 3 weeks ago.

| December 6, 2010 | 20 Replies

Word on the tweets: Ovi Store has reached another new record! Only 3 weeks ago we heard that they crossed the massive 3M/day download threshold. Now it’s up a further 16.7% to 3.5M/day. That’s 1.2775 billion a year if Ovi Store doesn’t grow any more (though we know this is just the beginning).

Content, ringtones/themes and most importantly, Apps are increasing in quality as well as numbers. Today we saw a couple of great and Free apps with Roller Coaster Extreme and thetrainline.com’s ticket app by Masabi. (That’s just what’s posted here. There are many more in my piling list of great apps to review as well as well as apps already reviewed in the community).

We’ll update this post when we find more details and figures.

Tags: , ,

Category: Nokia, OVI

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Ovi Store hits 3.5m downloads a day | WOMWorld/Nokia | December 6, 2010
  1. Keith says:

This is gettin’ crazy! There arent even that many apps in the store right now. Can’t imagine what will happen by the end of next year when even more Symbian devices will be released and MeeGo would have emerged too. May be 5 million downloads/day?
    Now all we need are good developers so that we can have more (good) apps. It’s much needed. I hate saying this but the apple AppStore has an app for basically everything. If Nokia can attract that many developers, it’d be awesome

• KeiZka says:

They might, but the thing is still that Symbian doesn’t NEED to have an app for everything, since quite a bit is inbuilt ;)

Anyway, “We require more developers, STAT!”

• Smith says:

> Can’t imagine what will happen by the end of next year…May be 5 million downloads/day?

Eh? It’s just gone up by half a million in 3 weeks! And it’s currently on 3 million. Even at the same growth rate as now it would only take another 9 weeks to hit 5 million/day, that’s mid Feb! And the growth rate will only increase, especially with Christmas. I’d be surprised if we don’t hit 5m/day by the end of Jan to be honest.

How did you come up with a year’s delay!? I reckon we’ll be around 50 million/day give or take 10 million, by the end of next year, not 5 million!

• Keith says:

I don’t think the growth rate would be constant. I’m not saying it will be exactly 5 mil, it could be more. But definitely not as much as 50 million. I’d be a little surprised it it reaches 4 million by Jan end.

• Smith says:

You’re right the growth rate won’t be constant, it’s going to go up constantly, so the rate of growth will be accelerating due to all the new owners. Which is what we’ve seen prior to the new devices and Nokia’s new promotion of Ovi, and Ovi getting better. All this will accelerate.

Your figures are WAAAAAAY off. I think mine are in the right ball park.

2. Matthias says:

Maybe it’s time to improve the contenet of the store?

• Smith says:

What?!? It’s improving all the time, and it’s dependent on 3rd party developers and more are coming onboard all the time. I don’t think you have a point…

3. the_ultimate111 says:

That’s really huge, when I’ve bought my N8 I started using OviStore so extensively – I think everyone on Symbian^3 does the same. But we really need more apps and games to but and download!

4. Fezz says:

There are not so many applications in the ovi store as there are in the android store I hope it can grow much more and especially more quality apps, I use sticky notes for my daily tasks, tunewiki is also nice you can use it to see your lyrics off the song that is playing and if you hook your n8 up to your tv you can use it as karaoke bar really nice

5. Rant says:

Nice number with mostly low-quality apps. There is an enormous market in the Symbian ecosystem for high quality apps. Perhaps they are under development with Qt by now and coming as of next year.

If I had a little more programming skills I’d be making apps right now with a higher quality than most out there. And imho it isn’t hard to one up the current apps.

(not including things like Gravity and such, more the simpler apps.)

• Smith says:

It’s easily arguable that Android and iPhone app stores are mostly low quality apps too, it’s just you’ve got a much bigger number overall giving lots of quality still left even with most being rubbish.

• Rant says:

I won’t go as far as a comparison with the other platforms. Just most of Symbian apps don’t have a quality feel.
        This is without comparing it to any apps, but more in the sense of general design.

Some are so poorly designed and give very little feedback to the user about just what he just pushed or what action he just initiated.
        Aside from that are poor font, color, and layout choices.

Just to stress it again; I’m not comparing it to iOS nor Android, just a stand-alone perception about look and feel of most Symbian apps.

6. gordonH says:

The n8 should be selling better for christmas…So expect the downloads on Ovi to increase.
    Granted the ovi store should have more content but at the moment its good enough. Wait for QT finalization and you’ll get a huge increase of big and small developers.It’s logical for software houses coding complex stuff to wait for QT.

• Don says:

You hit the nail on the head. People are waiting for Qt Quick, it simply does not make sense to use QWidgets directly, or code some custom UI in a QGraphicsView, with Qt Quick coming. You can use it already on the desktop and simulator, and is amazing stuff. But it needs ovi store and sdk support (Q1)

7. VV says:

I for one use Yahoo IM a lot and from what I understand there’s a Yahoo Messenger app for Android and Iphone but NOT for Nokia.What kind of partnership did Nokia make with Yahoo exactly ? It’s embarasing really if you think about it.I really just don’t understand how the biggest manufacturer with the biggest number of handsets on the market (i think) doesn’t get more love from developers?I know Nokia has the basic and most important stuff built in but it just blows my mind – is Symbian that hard to work with? And the fact that Nokia has carrier billing with a huge number of operators worldwide makes the situation even more baffling.

• gordonH says:

Weird but yahoo isn’t known for making reasonable business decisions since a few years back. Whatever reasons….your thoughts are spot on but my guess is developers are waiting for QT. Not logical for coding “complex” apps in symbian first then porting code to QT, even if Nokia says its a simple porting process.

• Rant says:

I don’t know all that much about Qt, but the porting business was about written in Qt and porting to other OSes be it Symbian/MeeGo or even Android.
        It doesn’t apply to apps that were written in Symbian C++ and need to be ported to Qt or whatever.

So it still stands, big apps won’t launch untill Qt is final. And when Qt saturation on devices is adequate. But that shouldn’t be a problem with at least 4 Qt enabled devices out by 2011.

8. jim says:

any of those downloads are from maemo users because there are just like 200 apps like for the last 3 months….. n900 needs more apps at least low quality.