Video: Indoor Positioning with Nokia N8, NAVTEQ indoor Navigation

| February 15, 2011 | 18 Replies

Whilst we’re on the subject of NAVTEQ, let’s take a look at indoor positioning. Remember, we saw something like this at Nokia World from Nokia Research Centre whereby you can find out exactly where you are and what booth to go to all with precision indoor positioning. That’s useful for

• Being at a new mall. Indoor positioning can help you find shops/services that you are looking for.
  • Being at a airport or train station and not knowing how to get to a certain gate.
  • Imagine being at a huge concert and you need to find your mates who have disappeared off somewhere (or find the toilets!)
  • keeping an eye on your kids (or like in face off, keep an eye on your prisoners).
  • Conferences and conventions like Nokia World, CES, MWC. Find your colleagues or the booths you want/need to visit instead of roaming around callously.

Here you can see the N8 tracking with a little green attachment at the top.

Woops no idea what happened to the video.

via cellularmagazine

Tags:

Category: Nokia

1. fahoum says:

really nice. i can see myself using this. looks very promising

2. David says:

Do we know how long this will take to become a reality?

3. mee go MAD says:

what? it has maps of building “I” use or is it just famous building in cities?

btw airports have massive maps every 10m to show where you are and you get personal maps now.

when are you ever going to use this?

maybe useful to people who travel to a lot of buildings without a guide or looking at boards

• fahoum says:

imagine ur self going into a mall looking for a specific store… lets say , i dont know, ZARA …
      now we know how malls are , multiple stories , each has from 30-50 different stores. and u r in a hurry! that could take age’s!

so with this technology , u walk into that mall, just search for zara on ur phone , and off u go!

• stylinred says:

it would be good for amusement parks (especially those in asia that are masssive)

use in a foreign mall etc etc

its a nice feature

4. Jack says:

By the way, N8 PR1.1 updates finally seem to be live now in North America.

5. N8Owner says:

Don’t trust every comment you read here. A lot of them are made by Nokia’s new New York PR agency for damage control.

We don’t trust you Nokia.

The dream is over.

Just release Qt and Symbian^3 code to the community so that we can continue to develop it.

6. GS65 says:

I found this related clip on YouTube. The funny thing is that one of the avatars is called Nokia E7. This was in september 2010. Pretty long time ’til it hit the stores? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbgYzJFrZW0

7. larry says:

They mentioned this last year and still they havent released it. Everything at nokia is vaporware

8. Hi! I know this is sort of off-topic but I had to ask.
    Does building a well-established blog such as yours require a large amount of work?
    I am brand new to blogging but I do write in my journal every day.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

Take a look at my blog … audiovox walkie talkie

9. memory foam mattress on slats memory foam mattress living social
    memory foam mattress orlando memory foam mattress good or bad memory foam mattress queen size
    memory foam mattress zones

Also visit my web-site :: memory foam mattress & bed frame set

10. jenny says:

“Already since 2006 there are suppliers like infsoft (www.infsoft.com) providing indoor positioning and navigation solutions i.e. for airports
    or trade fairs. The technology is mostly based on WiFi and BLE/iBeacon combined with the sensors of the smartphone. It’s great to see that this
    topic is becoming increasingly significant.”