Swype updated for Symbian^3. Get it from Nokia Beta Labs

| February 19, 2011 | 8 Replies

Not sure how recent this is but fahoum and Nils has notified us of a SWYPE update for Symbian^3. I think Swype is awesome but NOT for two handed landscape, and is even worse one handed-landscape. I can type much faster with the standard landscape keyboard (turn prediction/autocorrect on, it’s actually quite good).

Swype – it really is, in my opinion, meant for one handed portrait QWERTY swyping (and we may not get this until we receive a default portrait QWERTY). Though I do know some really like landscape Swype too.

As you can see, there are some changes compared to the old SWYPE.

• Text box larger due to buttons moving to the side
  • Keyboard shorter in height
  • Keyboard narrower in length due to buttons moving from top to the side.

I think this is a good change, smaller keyboard more useful for one handed swyping – less travel for your fingers.

Fingers crossed for portrait Swype/Split screen swype. Perhaps the option too just to have swype for portrait and normal QWERTY for landscape.

Are you a Swype user?

Category: Applications

1. Duncan says:

If you read the swype responses on beta labs you will see all these changes were for pr2.0.
    What I am most excited about is Vlingo is finally availsble for the n8.

• fahoum says:

what i like even more about the new Vlingo is its a full version, and has a better implementation of the homescreen widget.
      plus its very accurate , even with my foreign english acccent :)

2. law says:

vingo is very good like it also

3. Zhe says:

If you like portrait qwerty, try this: http://shouji.baidu.com/input/

4. he says:

please N8 users tell me-IF N8 ABLE TO PLAY YOUTUBE,MY SPACE,DAILYMOTION,METACAFE VIDEO IN INBUILT BROWSER??? Q-2)Does it able to load heavy webpages in inbuilt browser without automatic exiting as seen in previous phone???

5. he says:

please N8 users tell me-IF N8 ABLE TO PLAY YOUTUBE,MY SPACE,DAILYMOTION,METACAFE VIDEO IN INBUILT BROWSER??? WHAT IS THE RAM OF N8 AFTER 10 MINUTES OF BOOTING

Q-2)Does it able to load heavy webpages in inbuilt browser without automatic exiting as seen in previous N and E series phone???

• Syed says:

It can play videos from those sites.

and depends on how heavy website,engadget loads fine full site but if u have 2 heavy tabs then browser will exit with memory full eror eventho free ram will be around 70mb!
      After booting free ram is around 150mb which depletes to 120 after a days heavy use

6. Doug says:

Very disappointing change. The sizing of the previous keyboard was perfect, and should have been the sizing of the stock QWERTY. Now they’ve made it the same size as the stock QWERTY on Symbian^3, which is too small. Looks like I’m keeping old Swype keyboard.