Nokia N8 vs Nokia N9 Camera – “Nokia is on to a winner here”

| June 28, 2011 | 34 Replies

Probably the largest batch of Nokia N9 samples so far, the Engadget folks are testing out the camerabuttonless (:p) Nokia N9. Check out engadget for their sample pics.

How’s it faring?

• Nokia’s camera application definitely lives up to the company’s own hype
  • nearly instant captures and an equally brisk return to a state of readiness for more image-taking
  • picking up a ton of detail and controlling noise admirably
  • Vlad makes sure we consider that this is a prototype.

They also recognize the awesome camera that is the N8 and compare the N9 to the “trusty N8 with its world-beating 12 megapixel sensor”

As Damian Dinning alraedy pointed out in his post at Nokia Conversations, the Nokia N8 is still the camera king. But the N9 is a great performing camera considering the 70% reduction in size.

This is a good post from NokConv about the N9 camera: http://mynokiablog.com/2011/06/27/nokia-n9-camera-introduced-by-damian-dinning/

Vlad points out that though the N8 has better colour balance and is sharper, we should consider this as a strength of the N8 and not a failure from the N9. Wow, such kind words for the Nokia handsets.

Video demo: Check out that high quality stereo audio. Vlad notes a slight out of sync but remember, this is proto.

Conclusion?

• “considering the quick software operation and consistently detailed imagery on offer from the N9, we’d say Nokia is on to a winner here.”

Both cameras looked murky. Perhaps a smudge on the screen?This can alter photo quality so much. Or the reduced sample size for their site? Check out the full sized versions of the pics though, folks are saying they’re beautiful.

Via: engadget

Cheers to @whousah for the tip!

Category: MeeGo, Nokia, Nseries

1. Arbegla says:

I remember the last time Encrapdget compared the N8 camera to the iPhone’s. Yeah, iPhone was a “winner” in their opinion. It’s good to see the N9 getting the attention it deserves, but let’s not get too excited about Engadget’s “tests”.

2. Lekker says:

Seems like they need to play with the image stabilizing system so it stops jumping when the phone is panning.

I want to see this phone compared head to head with the N8, iPhone, and some others all mounted together on a rig and then compared in a split screen video.

3. whousah says:

thought N8 is still unbeatable until Nokia release their new camera flagship or N8 successor :D

• Deep Space Bar says:

i hope that happens whith LED/Xenon flash 16/32/64gb variant …1ghz CPU w 512mb RAM/3.8 – -4 inch screen w CBD/AMOLED. 1500Mah battery and all the goodies that the N8 already has
      and the 12mp has to have optical zoom

• anonymous says:

why not make it 1mb of ram…

• Harangue says:

That would be a little too frugal. ;)

But indeed 1GB of RAM would be very welcome, but with all that imaging prowess I would also like to see a decent GPU, PowerVR SGX545? Although that could be asking for a lot.

All in all, a replacement for my N8 in autumn or so would be nice. Either running MeeGo or WP I don’t mind.

4. Ballumi says:

I would not promote the Engadget fools any further.

Here is a site with some cool infos many dont know about the N9.

5. phishbone says:

The N8 is a freak of nature. For the most part, it’s replaced my SLR for portrait shots; enough that I trusted it to document my son’s birth.

• Ergonpandilus says:

That’s very impressive. Not too many people would rely on their mobile phone when it comes to witness the birth of your own son.

The best part about having excellent camera phone, is that it’s always with you.

6. Giuseppe Grilli says:

Since it doesn’t have hdmi out, anyone knows if the n9 is compatible with this kind of nokia video out cable?

7. Mirza says:

They just LOVE the Nokia N9, and i don’t blame them =P

8. Sam says:

All this Nokia love from engadget is starting to get me suspecious. What is their true intension?

• Ergonpandilus says:

Maybe this is the power, when you are ally with M$. ;)

• Jay Montano says:

#conspiracyhat says it’s a a clever long con to work against Nokia by inevitably using this MeeGo success against flagship Windows Phone.

#tilfoilhat (similar to above) says Nokia giving them early access to achieve more hits if vlad talks about it positively

#jadedhat says typical engadget, just going with what gets hits.

#hopefulhat says they’re finally giving Nokia a chance and N9 is the first to let them see that. It’s not just engadget loving N9, it’s everyone (except the fortune teller)

There are too many hats in this comment.

9. Mario says:

Regarding the quality of the pictures, I think the overcast climate didn’t help much.

• Chrom says:

Actually this is a good thing for the imaging sensor; they have a limited dynamic range so extreme contrast such as deep shadows and bright highlights you would see in a bright summer afternoon would ‘clip’ most digital camera sensors. Remember, N8 has also a built in ND grad filter which helps with the situation above, whereas N9 doesn’t.

In other words, bright and overcast day is the best time to shoot to extract maximum quality from any digital sensor, including the N9.

10. Faab says:

IMO the difference between N8 and N9′s camera is that the only ‘real’ moment you want your N8 with you, is when you see something REALLY REMARKABLE.

N9 is just perfect for casual use (just like the N8).

11. Cocco Bill says:

Engadget should really make sure the lenses are clean before testing the camera. Those N9 pictures are so obviously taken with a smudged lens. All that light “shine” that bleeds from the lighter parts into the darker parts of the photo. Reduced crispness and sharpness. I’ve seen it so many times with my N8 when there’s greasy finger prints all over the lens. That’s the bad thing about not having a lens cover, the lens gets easily covered with finger prints.

12. Alvester says:

Waiting for GSMArena’s impression on N9′s camera. They know it better than Engadget.

13. robert says:

eagerly awaiting what the N9 can do in the area of photo’s. Would be nice to know why nokia did not included the same as in the N8. is this one better or did the N8 12mp xenon not fit within the measurements ??
    and o.., this is not about megapixels. my first digicam was a casio 3500 around 10 years ago, which was only 3mp. and i could make A4 prints which looked great. (later they f…d up in the mp race)

• Antonio says:

There was no space for the huge xenon capacitor, which is even bigger than xenon itself. That’s why they use LEDs.

No, the LEDs are fine for common usage, but it is not as good as Xenon, can’t capture very quick moments properly and can’t “freeze” the image. It is only some sort of light to help you see the image, but as Nokia said, and I totally trust them: it’s some bad-ass, very bright and useful dual LED flash.

14. Camera Cable says:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to provide one thing again and aid others like you aided me.

15. manisankar says:

best n8 ,just small different only,, i m waiting for symbian belle for n8……..n8 its best mobile for nokia………