Spoke to my friend at Vodafone today, regarding the conference he went to during the week.
He had a hands-on with the device and is quite impressed. He said he wants one, despite at first being skeptical when I told him I thought it was better then the iPhone. He now agrees :p
He informed me that it is being launched in Australia next month, exclusive to Vodafone retailers. The 16GB model will be available for all, but apparently he was told the 64GB is for “Vodafone employees only”. No confirmation on whether or not the 64GB is only available in Black.
Some interesting things he told me about Nokia’s presentation:
- Cocky attitude when discussing the N9. Do they think this is going to be their saviour?
- Stating why would they bother with and waste time “publishing banking apps when it can be done in the browser”. Does this mean app development isn’t a concern for Nokia? Or is this based on them releasing the N950 dev kits? Either way it doesn’t matter seeing as the N9 can adopt Android Apps based on Myriad’s Alien Dalvik.
- When asked about Sea Ray Nokia did not confirm (nor deny) that it would run on WP7.5 Mango. Could it be a Nokia variant of the OS?
- Reason for N8 faults – Since the device is manufactured in an extremely cold climate, when it is shipped around the world (countries with hotter climates) the parts expand and breakage, as well as disconnection, of hardware occurs.
- No mention that they are limiting the number of handsets produced. Nokia really thinks this has game changing potential it seems.
He also said when he gets the device (presumably before public launch), he will allow me an exclusive hands-on for the readers here at MyNokiaBlog. I’m quite excited
Knowing that the N9 is indeed confirmed for September and the rumour that the iPhone 5/iPhone 4S is to be released in the “last weeks” of September, based off rumours of an “event-blackout” seen only for the launch of the previous iPhones, Will we see the N9 and iPhone 5 go head-to-head?
About the Author (Author Profile)Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- Official N9 release date in Australia is sometime in September | Le Gadgeteer | August 6, 2011
- N9 Confirmed For September Launch In Australia Exclusive To Vodafone | August 8, 2011
- Nokia N9 Launching Exclusively to Vodafone in Australia This September | Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more | August 9, 2011
- Nokia kündigt MeeGo Smartphone N9 in Schweden offiziell an – für den 23. September *Udate* » Netbooknews.de - das Netbook Blog | August 9, 2011