After mourning the death of MeeGo and its fall into the hands of Samsung with Intel as Tizen, here’s something positive to pick up on. WSJ has revealled more details on Project Meltemi. You may have heard it mentioned in a leaked internal memo in April, and also quite casually in the leaked staff keynote by Stephen Elop (remember SeaRay hands on. After that was quite revealing)
Meltemi is a type of wind. Do note that Maemo naming schemes have previously had wind names – Harmattan being the latest officially announced with N9/N950. Then comes possibly Maemo 7 with Meltemi?
Well, no not quite. It’s apparently for feature phones and is being led by Mary McDowell.
Now joining some dots:
- 1GHz for lower end (e.g. S40)
- Qt for lower end and next billion
- Swipe and MeeGo-Harmattan styles for lower end
- S40 to be Linux powered or replaced completely by Meltemi.
- = Compelling, disrupting at the low end.
Whilst Windows Phone came in to rescue the high end, it is intended to go to lower price points ($100). Do you see the low starting Meltemi growing and reigniting Maemo hopes at high end?
Thanks 3rp3 for the tip!
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, thanks for reading my post. My name is Jay and I'm a medical student at the University of Manchester. When I can, I blog here at mynokiablog.com and tweet now and again @jaymontano. We also have a twitter and facebook accounts @mynokiablog and Facebook.com/mynokiablog. Check out the tips, guides and rules for commenting >>click<< Contact us at tips(@)mynokiablog.com or email me directly on jay[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- Meltemi OS, νέο λειτουργικό σύστημα από τη Nokia (;) | September 29, 2011
- Meltemi OS, νέο λειτουργικό σύστημα από τη Nokia (;) | StinFora.com | September 29, 2011
- Nokia będzie miała swój własny Bada OS. Jest już nazwa – Meltemi « Spider's Web | September 29, 2011
- Nokia To Replace S40 With Linux Based Meltemi To Connect The Next Billion? | Androsym | September 29, 2011
- Linux-based Meltemi could be replacing S40 for Nokia’s low-end phones | Mobile Phone Tech News | September 30, 2011
- Nokia Meltemi - neues OS für Featurephones? | October 2, 2011
- My Mobiles» Blog Archive » Linux-based Meltemi could be replacing S40 for Nokia’s low-end phones | October 3, 2011
- Nokia to release "Meltemi" Linux based OS for low end phones... | October 4, 2011
- Nokia preps Linux-based Meltemi OS for feature phones, says report | System Monitoring | January 24, 2012