Hey folks. You may have noticed adverts suddenly popping up in more places.
This is because on the day of Nokia World, something happened to our adsense page where they just stopped displaying and hence the revenue was in pennies per day. We’ve kinda been needing this to pay the hosting.
We asked on facebook and twitter and apparently they can’t even see the ads at all, only a limited number of locations being able to see the ads. I don’t know what google is doing, but well, now that means we’re looking for other sources of revenue.
Speaking with other bloggers, they’ve also recommended that I optimize more for ads. I learnt that with our traffic, we could actually make some decent amount of revenue, and not what we were getting with Adsense (that was before it crashed). I’m not looking into making money for me, no.
If we do make some revenue I want to plough that back into MyNokiaBlog:
- Recruit writers who can be aptly compensated for their time and effort. These guys won’t just be anyone filling in space. From the current team and new (if any are interested) we will make sure these guys are knowledgable Nokia fans.
- I want the site to be less reliant on my time table. As a med student, I know I have quite some work to do, especially around exam times. I don’t really want either to be compromised. It has helped a lot certainly to teach me time management (such as getting all work done in advance so I can blog), but then there are definite other times that I want you guys to get the Nokia stories and but I may be out of action (hospital placements, exams, in lectures, in practicals etc).
- We already have a base of writers have have been instrumental along with our readers to help MyNokiaBlog grow. I think if the ads work, I can make sure they get something in return as well as getting others who would be willing to throw in more time as it becomes feasible to (I mean, work for free, but miss out on when you could be working or get paid to blog for something you like).
- We cannot take paid writers right now. We will issue a request to come join some time in the future when I know we are able to fund both current and future writers. As it is, they’re all currently just doing this for the fun of it.
- Improve hosting. Touch wood things have been OK but just in case.
- Site Manager – someone to look after behind the scenes? Also possibly improve layout, colour schemes, design of the site?
- Other suggestions?
- Does the mobile site work? What handset and browser are you using?
- How are the load times? (on full and mobile?)
- Do you see adverts at all or just empty blocks? (If the new non-adsense ads aren’t showing up either then I think it might be another problem with the site which adding more ads isn’t gonna help)
We are still currently in the process of assessing our ad-networks. We are currently testing out what type of ads can help fund the site. We appreciate the support of our readers and thank you all for the feedback. You may have noticed that all of the infolinks have been removed. These are the blue link words as well as the rectangle banner. As much as I want to produce revenue to keep the site up, I'd prefer our readers to be happy with how they visit mynokiablog.com I also want to thank those who are notifying us of other pop up ads. We specifically set our ad networks not to provide things like this (or video ads/full page ads) but they decided to bypass us anyway. That was sorted quite early on though. As for other adverts on the side, that is also being sorted. I am also planning to turn off some other ad networks (especially the annoying you are the 10,000 visitor! banner) if I cannot find a way to curb them from the flashy, distracting appearance. Many Thanks, Jay
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, thanks for reading my post. My name is Jay and I'm a medical student at the University of Manchester. When I can, I blog here at mynokiablog.com and tweet now and again @jaymontano. We also have a twitter and facebook accounts @mynokiablog and Facebook.com/mynokiablog. Check out the tips, guides and rules for commenting >>click<< Contact us at tips(@)mynokiablog.com or email me directly on jay[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- How to Outsource Your BusinessThe 24×7 Networker | October 31, 2011