Olive is the first full length feature film shot completely on a N8!

| November 30, 2011 | 37 Replies

gsmarena 001 Olive is the first full length feature film shot completely on a N8

Dear MNB readers, the Nokia N8 impresses once again. Say what you may about Symbian^3/Anna/Belle and even Nokia, but we cannot truthfully deny the craftmanship that went into designing and developing the N8′s 12 Megapixel 720p Carl Zeiss camera module.

From GSMArena:

The rapid progress that cameraphone have been making over the past few years is no secret for anyone, but shooting a whole movie on one? Yes, please! – said phone directors Hooman Khalili and Patrick Gilles and proceeded to shoot their full length feature film Olive on a Nokia N8.

We are talking a full cinema-ready movie here that should be hitting theaters in the US soon. And all it took for the N8 to turn into a piece of cinematic gear was a 35 mm lens adapter, which was modified to fit the smart phone in order to achieve the needed shallow depth of field.

The film stars two-time Academy Award nominated actress Gena Rowlands as well as John Scurti, Chris Maher, and Ruby Alexander. And the sound design was created by the George Lucas-owned Skywalker Sound.

Side rant: How come all the N8 vs. Other Phones videos never compare Digital Zoom during HD video recording? Answer: All other phones show the weakness of their camera modules and software and would lose massive amounts of detail, thus, the N8 becoming the obvious winner! Really, the quality of the N8 720p HD digital zoom compared to other phones HD digital zoom has to be seen to be believed. Does anyone know what video editing program is used to show split screen video comparisons? I want to make a N8 vs SGSII side by side video comparison.

Without further delay, head over to the GSMArena article for more information and a special Behind the Scenes and First 5 Minutes video preview of the upcoming movie: Olive.

You wont be disappointed.

Source: GSMArena

Thanks goes to Edmund for the tip!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Nokia, Nseries, Rant, Symbian^3, Video

Good day everyone! My name is Demitrius Harris and I am a fan of all things true. I currently hold a position in the IT Department at a college and I teach various classes when the opportunity presents itself. In the past, I was a Special Education Teacher and a Technology Education teacher at an elementary school and have held titles in the Financial industry. What does that mean for you, our dear readers? It means that I love to write and communicate as accurately as possible! It is my hope, that I will always be able to provide factual information concerning all things related to Nokia (even when the Nokia brand isn't printed) and anything else in the scope of technology that fits within the purpose of MyNokiaBlog. I humbly thank you all for reading my posts (and the MNB Team) that sometimes contain THOUSANDS of words. You all are the best and most respectful blog supporters in the world! Thank you for choosing MyNokiaBlog.com! Sincerely, Demitrius Harris. Favorite phone of all time: Nokia N82 - Black

1. MoritzJT says:

I could easily do a side by side composition with adobe after effects, but there are many other tools to achieve that ;-) But if you do, please put them on a rack so they move alligned!

• Deaconclgi says:

Thank you for the information. What are some of the other tools?

• pezman726 says:

download the demo of sony vegas video. You can add multiple video sources. Then take your top layer and crop out whatever side you want so the bottom layer shows through.

To do that just click on the little thing that looks like a film clip just to the right of the slider bar for your video. It’ll open up a window that has a wire of your video…just adjust the size and you’re all set!

• Deaconclgi says:

Wow! Thank you.

• pezman726 says:

been a while since i’ve used it! Now that i’m thinking about it…it might not be in that little “film clip” but on the video clip itself, there’s a little “crop” icon that shows up, you might need to click that. also, with vegas and adobe’s tools, you can add as many video and audio streams as your computer can handle! (they may have some arbitrary number…and i’ve never really done any more than 8 at a time…so i’ve never hit a limit!)

2. Heron says:

Just wow. No other phone can do that.

I hope such a camera phone comes to WP7 ASAP.

• Rock says:

No other phone?

Are you forgetting part of the Avengers film was filmed on an iPhone 4.. You guys need to stop over hyping this..

• Deaconclgi says:

Hmmmmm….THIS Avengers film…

“UPDATE: McGarvey told The Hollywood Reporter that he had been misquoted and that none of the footage was actually shot on an iPhone. He claimed that he was speaking to the new technologies available to filmmakers, the iPhone being one of them. However, none of “The Avengers” was shot with an iPhone”

What is a shame is that the iPhone, with it’s unworthy camera is still hyped and mentioned by McGarvey and others while the N8 and it’s worthy camera is ignored. Seems like people who should know what they are talking about…..don’t know….what they are talking about.

• mussab says:

Not true:

“I was talking about how up and coming film makers have access to a whole range of new technologies which expand our options as filmmakers. I mentioned that the iPhone and the Canon 5d Mk2 were devices currently used on many Hollywood productions. I used the Canon on some shots on Marvel’s The Avengers movie. Unfortunately, this was edited to read that I shot some of the film with the iPhone. This is not true.”

- Seamus McGarvey

• Rock says:

k then my bad..

• Deaconclgi says:

But I’m a fanboy? :P

It is ok, we all may be wrong from time to time. Lesson is, always go the extra mile and research something before posting something as absolute truth.

• Rock says:

Sorry ignore my rudeness there. I was frustrated due to COD :L

But yeah I should have, I was thinking about double checking but I didn’t.

Still the N8 only does 720p, I didn’t know that was sufficient enough for a feature film.

• tiyo xi says:

nokia 808

3. Cocco Bill says:

N8 is the absolute camera king, has been over a year already and there’s still no real competition in sight. It’s picture quality easily beats most real point and shoot cameras. Only N8′s successor, the new Symbian camera giant coming next year, will dethrone N8.

4. kevinaux says:

If you live an alternate lifestyle, try Kdenlive. You can even split it 4 ways with this baby, maybe include them pesky iphones as well.

5. dss says:

I gave them $5…but i just don’t see how they will be able to get 300k in two weeks

6. David says:

Im still surprised there is no “GorillaCam” Gorillapod mount / app out for the N8

Especially concidering its still the best camera phone!

7. hr says:

now where are u cod3rror.. Why not ur android or iphone not get chosen??

8. Rock says:

Part of the Avengers film was filmed on an iPhone 4.

Guarantee that film will be bigger than this.

C’mon stop getting so excited guys.

• Deaconclgi says:

Oh…and another..

Updated: It turns out that Seamus McGarvey was misquoted. From The Hollywood Reporter:

“I was talking about how up and coming film makers have access to a whole range of new technologies which expand our options as filmmakers. I mentioned that the iPhone and the Canon 5d Mk2 were devices currently used on many Hollywood productions. I used the Canon on some shots on Marvel’s The Avengers movie,” he stated to THR. “Unfortunately, this was edited to read that I shot some of the film with the iPhone. This is not true.”

Please don’t continue to spread false information. What you are stating is not true.

9. reptile says:

It’s on sale today on amazon for $300!

10. amirulfaiz says:

And that’s why I love this n8. :)

11. Deep Space Bar says:

i’ll be picking me up a kit for next year for my project i have ;)

12. Rock says:

As for the video editing you could just use any really.

E.G. On Sony Vegas, just put one video on top of the other, mask out half of the top one and align them to be in sync. Done?

13. dss says:

Its been over a year.. nothing comes close. The 30 fps upgrade made a big difference. So thank you mr. Damian Dinning and your team for supporting the N8

14. Andreas says:

So it’s only 720p? Not saying it’s bad, but is it such a good idea to shoot a movie (which seems pretty good)in 720p? What if you want to release it in 1080p bluray or even higher res in the future.

Or am I missing something here..?

• Deaconclgi says:

Quality is more than resolution. If they were going for resolution, they would have chose another device. They, as do most N8 users value the optical quality, color reproduction, light sensitivity, detail and smoothness that the N8 camera produces.

Even if we match 720p with 720p, it does not equal the same quality. Lense type, aperature, software and other technical details have to be taken into account.

With that in mind, there are 1080p recording devices that produce worse results than the N8 due to lesser components and software.

• Andreas says:

Hi!

Yes, me myself is an N8 owner and nothing wrong with the quality. But you can’t upscale 720p too much without loosing quality. Sure 1080 may work, but it will still loose some sharpness.

What about the cinemas where the resolution is WAY over 1080p, more like 2000p for digital?

I’m not saying they should’ve used another phone, but I’m pretty sure they had more than 400$ bucks to spend on the recording equipment. Maybe go for an 1000$ dedicated video recorder, I don’t know.

It seems such a waste to limit what seems like an ambitious movie to a very limited resolution if they want to port it to different formats.

15. stylinred says:

nokia should foot the bill that these guys are trying to raise funds for ($300,000) finishing the film and getting it into theatres http://kck.st/tgMdrW < if you want to donate

depending on the amount you donate you can receive a "thank you" phone call from the director/writer up to a Producer credit

16. mohammad says:

nokia itis great thank you for information nokia n8

17. Very good article. I’m dealing with some of these issues as well..

18. minecraft says:

Greetings! This is mʏ first visit to youг blog!
    Ԝe are a teram οff volunteers ɑnd starting a new project in a community
    inn thе ѕame niche. Υour blog provided uѕ useful iոformation to work oո.
    You have donе a extraordinnary job!

mʏ web site – minecraft