Video: Nokia Smarterphone UI demoes. They look darn good for Über-Budget non-smartphone.

| January 8, 2012 | 28 Replies

Just after the 303 post, it got me thinking, “what does smarterphone OS, (Nokia’s new purchase for $25-$75 handsets), look like”.

Quick search on the Y-tubes finds some hands on for you to look at. Please note they may be older versions. I think these videos are from the official channel. They’ve only got about 30-300 views each, so relatively unknown I guess.

Impressively, this can pull in facebook contacts. You can do this one by one or all at the same time. Whilst not everyone will use facebook, nor have all their contacts on facebook, I think it’s critical to keep up with the times and be social. Facebook is the biggest social network, in the UK alone more time is spent on facebook than any of the other top 5-10 sites combined. It’s huge pretty much everywhere else too, so being able to take advantage of that is a great thing.

Look how smooth the darn scrolling is on their facebook app. Er, Nokia Social say what?

Facebook Upload

Media and Internet.

Scrolling in gallery very smooth. You can share pictures to facebook directly from gallery. YouTube playback from browser via player. Music player looks pretty nice too.

Considering where this phone is aimed at, I’m rather impressed by how it looks in its current state. I don’t know how it will look when Nokia’s done with it, what additions it may have, what it could bring with Qt apps perhaps.

BTW, what is this phone?

General UI demo

Interesting Fan menu system there, or ‘radial’.

Phone looks like a HTC in this video. Or an old Nokia. (Thanks folks, it’s a kyocera).

Update: Seems Smartphone OS was last updated in October to 3.2 which lists:

- MultiSIM. It makes possible to use more than one SIM card.
- BiDi. This feature adds support for bidirectional writting. Necessary in languages like Arabic or Hebrew.

The software has also turned even more social, with many improvements to Facebook integration like:

- Video upload support.
- Better support for comments and status.
- Use pictures of friends in the address book.
- Posting of pictures.
- Chat.

We have not forgotten about Twitter and we made it easier to use.
Support for uploading videos to Youtube has been added.

Usability improvements

- Geonames integration in Worldclock and Weather.
- Better datetime picker.
- Conversational Messaging.
- Cut’n’Paste.

UI improvements

- New screen transition effects.
- Configurable Widget bar (on left, or right, top or bottom).
- Idle screen desktop shortcuts.
- Scrollable wide desktop with background parallax effect.

There are many changes users won’t directly see, but they will feel them.
I am of course speaking about performance. The software is noticibly faster and has a smaller memory footprint.

Category: Nokia

1. Dan McGuire says:

I heard this company had around 30 employees and they made a OS [or whatever] that’s smoother than anything Nokia has ever written (Excluding things made in QT).

Well done :)

2. Deep Space Bar says:

do you think they will used the coding and things like that for symnbian Carla and Donna…that might be why they bought them

3. can't be helped says:

the os is smooth, need more work on graphics design and bring in swipe ui, then this low end os is invincible

4. kolokoyme says:

The device name is called Kyocera C4700 running in the Linux based Smarterphone OS then called Mimiria OS or Kvaleberg AS.

5. kintoun says:

Much smoother than N9.

6. incognito says:

Pretty smooth for a low-powered OS. Too ugly, if you ask me, but smooth nonetheless. If Nokia is planning to use this in their next entry-level devices, let’s hope they’ll infuse it with some style and some Qt goodness.

• Heron says:

Well, one would argue that looks-wise, it’s on the same level as Nokia dumbphones, only including new features.

Nokia brought this to remove a potential rival, I feel. But more importantly, the optimization these guys did to their OS is great.

Swipe UI, less cartoonish looks, and Nokia has got a winner.

7. et3rnal says:

Nokia wont use this OS, Simply nokia bringing Qt to the S40 alternative and this team of experts could add a lot to nokia new OS :)

8. TheLumiaAsha says:

i will like if this available for s60

9. FireDragon says:

This is one VERY impressive piece of software engineering, and it is for low-cost phones that is impressive as its highest possible level! After viewing above videos and how good it is performing it is instantly slip into “I want it” list.

Nokia guys better put this thing into a better use for sake of their own existence and for sake of the users.

10. xkdk says:

well, at least it has nothing to do with micro$oft

11. Alex Kerr says:

As per my comment on the previous story on Asha 303, this is absolutely 100% a smartphone OS. It cannot possibly be classified as anything else. The fact it runs on low end hardware and sells for a cheap price has nothing to do with whether it is a smartphone or not.

• migo says:

Interesting that people were trying to argue that iOS wasn’t a smartphone OS because it didn’t have multitasking, a fault the Asha 303 shares.

12. stylinred says:

looks like symbian s60v3 got updated

13. hambrosio says:

the new Nokia OS is look like great =D

14. Stan says:

Very interesting :)

15. Prasenjit Bist says:

I have a interesting piece of news to share. I heard that Nokia future UI updates will work seamlessly wih the Nokia smarterphoe OS based new OS that will be rebranded as some thing new. so that does leaves a room for future UI from Nokia compatible with symbian that runs swipe UI ;)
    so nokia is technically creating a abstraction of UI and platform software like s60 calling it Nokia belleand in future something else that with little engineering can be made to work on symbian as well as new OS. i dont know wat name they will decide meltemi is good as internal code name but in market they might call it some thing else.
    That brings me to thinking ohhh dear Nokia who the fool was in your platform technologies team who decided to kill s90 just guess where nokia wud have been with that. I believe Nokia loves reinventing the wheel at times… but i still love them they are champions and genius and every genius is a little weird ;)