Nokia Lumia 800 Firmware out? Camera update with panorama, sport mode, self timer and smart group shot

| March 2, 2012 | 52 Replies

Over at XDA developers, firmware 1600.2487.8107.12070 for the Nokia Lumia 800 has been spotted, and it seems there are some interesting camera updates as Damian Dinning suggested

We can see noted down are:

• Smart group shot
  • Panorama
  • Action
  • Self Timer

I’m most interested in Panorama, hopefully it’s as good as Nokia’s Panorama app.

Thanks for the tip, TIM!

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

Sites That Link to this Post

1. New Nokia Lumia 800 firmware out, may bring battery, camera improvements | WMPoweruser | March 2, 2012
  2. New Nokia Lumia 800 firmware out, may bring battery, camera improvements – - MobileNewsX - Mobile News AggregatorMobileNewsX – Mobile News Aggregator | March 2, 2012
  3. New Nokia Lumia 800 Firmware Spotted? Camera Updates? | WP7 Connect | March 2, 2012
  4. Nokia Lumia 800 New Firmware spotted over Navifirm! (Update includes 4 new camera modes) | SymbianTweet | March 2, 2012
  5. Nouveau firmware pour le Nokia Lumia 800 : amélioration de la caméra et de la batterie | WindowsPhoneFR.com – Windows Phone 7 / Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) | March 2, 2012
  6. In arrivo un nuovo firmware per il Lumia 800, Nokia è pronta a migliorare le performance della fotocamera | March 2, 2012
  7. New Nokia Lumia 800 firmware out, may bring battery, camera improvements – - LiveNewsX - Live News AggregatorLiveNewsX – Live News Aggregator | March 2, 2012
  8. New Lumia 800 Firmware Details: Battery Fixes, Camera Improvements & More | The Handheld Blog | March 2, 2012
  9. Nokia Lumia 800 Firmware Leaked, Comes With Battery Fixes » Geeky Gadgets | March 2, 2012
  10. Une nouvelle mise à jour pour le Nokia Lumia 800 bientôt disponible | March 2, 2012
  11. Nokia Lumia 800 Firmware Due to be Released? | SmartPhone Apocalypse UK | March 2, 2012
  12. Nokia pushing out firmware update for Lumia 800 with battery life fix - Xponent 4 | March 2, 2012
  13. Is the Camera Update Coming for the Lumia 800? : Nokia Innovation | March 3, 2012
  14. Refresh Roundup: week of February 27th, 2012 | March 5, 2012
  15. Refresh Roundup: week of February 27th, 2012 | xvid entertainment news | March 5, 2012
  16. Refresh Roundup: week of February 27th, 2012 | Android Developers | March 5, 2012
  17. Nokia Lumia 800 Firmware Leaked, Comes With Battery Fixes : A heart Spade | March 5, 2012
  18. Refresh Roundup: week of February 27th, 2012 | My Paleo Diet Blog | March 5, 2012
  19. Refresh Roundup: week of February 27th, 2012 | BiZZBo@rd | Find People Who Share Your Business. | March 5, 2012
  1. Tim says:

Haha, I’m glad you used my tip! :P (I’m tjramage over at XDA!)

If you read that topic, you will know that I have the firmware flashed on my phone. It doesn’t provide any new camera settings from what I can see, and there is still a slight red tinge in the centre of the picture… :-(

2. S2Korpio says:

Great news. Seems like the update (although Vodafone branded) brings the Lumia’s idle power much lower, as noted by one of the XDA members. 50 – 65 MAh instead of the usual 140. Expecting near-Symbian level battery life soon.

3. GS65 says:

HDR and Time Lapse and it’s complete.

4. angelos says:

anyone else tried flashing to see the battery improvement? or is this from one user opinion only? that is an improvement

5. tris says:

Sounds good, but frankly im still waiting for the 11500 update to be released!! (orange, UK)

6. Shamus says:

How does this compare to the recent improvements done to the camera in the N9?
    Some sort of functionality added for both etc?

7. Lu me a says:

PR 1.2 is what it was referred to, apparently Vodafone Ireland has just approved it today so we should be expecting to see it shortly.

8. Ronan H says:

It’s good to hear about (yet!) another battery issue fix in the pipeline, and camera improvements are welcome also, but seriously, there’s a lot more work to be done:

- Equaliser for music
    - Locked orientation for some apps, not for others
    - Wasted space on the calendar tile (one meeting shown at a time, no to-do stuff shown? C’mon, Symbian on the N8 even did better than that)
    - Power-up issues when phone is dead (no mention of whether this is in the fix, but I presume not, and it IS an issue, widely)
    - Only do wireless sync once phone has been plugged into the mains for at least ten minutes (seriously, could you make things any more cumbersome?)
    - No ability to add folders to main screen, secondary screen, have to scroll down, down, down if you hve a lot of apps installed? How about some horizontal action?
    - Can’t rename pictures, videos, make folders etc. in the gallery, basic customisation stuff like that.
    - I could go on…

I’m starting to regret giving my wife my N8, I constantly find myself yearning for it again, trying to do something on the Lumia and thinking “If I had the N8 I could do this…”

I dunno if it’s Nokia or Microsoft to blame for this stuff, but the lack of basic functionality is astounding. Yes it might be the saving Grace for Nokia after Symbian, but just barely at the moment from what I can see…

• Shamus says:

@Ronan H

Do you also own the N9/950?
      Any idea if camera improvements are the same as that done for Maemo6x?

• Ronan H says:

No I don’t have an N9/950. To be honest, if the N9 had a different OS than Meego, I would have it in a heartbeat. The N9 and the Lumia 800 are both stunningly gorgous phones, as physical entities. The Lumia is let down by it’s software in my opinion, and it’s clear that Meego is dead in the water too. Better software would see me owning (and in the case of the Lumia 800, keeping) either of them.

Anyway, that is a bit off topic from your question, apologies! I don’t know about the camera improvements for Maemo.

When I bought my N8, I knew that I would never have to own a standalone digital camera, video recorder or satnav, ever. Now that I have the Lumia, I need to re-evaluate that statement.

• Shamus says:

“Better software would see me owning (and in the case of the Lumia 800, keeping) either of them.”

Hmm, not sure how you could make a judgment about Maemo6x if you don’t actually own/use?

“On the Lumia fix, I would prefer to see a fix that addresses the light handling and focus issues, rather than a self timer and a panorama feature. Its low light abilities are poor, and that fact that you can’t adjust the zoom when recording a video is nothing short of shocking.”

Maemo6x as far as I can see so far doesn’t have those new features.

Cheers.

• Ronan H says:

I should probably have clarified my reference to the N9 software. You are correct I have not used it. My thoughts are based on the reviews and comments I have read online. I would not commit to a phone for which the OS has little or no future.

“Ah excellent, thanks for highlighting the areas of improvement & the deficiencies as you see them.”

Sarcasm? Or actual thanks? :o)

“But surprisingly most of the issues you raise do seem to have been addressed in 1.2.”

PR1.2 is an N9 firmware version isn’t it? Is that where they have been addressed? So the issues I raised for the Lumia 800 are separate to that and at the mercy of the Nokia / Microsoft partnership, are they not?

Like the navigation much on the Lumia? Navigation has been driving Nokia sales for the past few years, yet the navigation on the Lumia pales compared to Symbian variants on the Nokia 5800 and N8 (I guess the put the emphasis on the Windows thing rather than the maps this time round). Want to set a Home location? No you can’t do that. Want to save a location? No you can’t do that either. Want offline use? No you cant do that either. Fundamental.

• Ronan H says:

OK I see that this new leaked firmware 1600.2487.8107.12070 for the Lumia 800 is also called PR1.2, so your last post makes a bit more sense now…

…and while it seems to be addressing the battery mainly, the reports on the camera are still lukewarm, i.e. no change in quality, just a couple of extra features, which don’t seem to be lighting peoples fires too much. Indeed some of the replies earlier in this thread suggest that too.

So I don’t agree that “most of the issues” I raised “do seem to have been addressed in 1.2.”, or at least the feedback doesn’t suggest that they have…

• Shamus says:

No I was referring to PR1.2 for Maemo6x.
                Only recently released…
                I guess Nokia uses similar naming schemes for their WP’s.

One thing I’ve noticed with these WP “updates”…
                Is that they’re quite minor compared to what’s come out for Maemo6x in the past 5mth.
                I guess everything’s going into Apollo.
                Which does sound like a huge change overall.

• Shamus says:

["I would not commit to a phone for which the OS has little or no future."]

I did for maemo5x and had a great old time.
              Depends on the person but…
              Still enjoy Android/iOS/Symbian etc.

["Sarcasm? Or actual thanks?"]

Thanks of course, not sarcasm whatsoever.

["PR1.2 is an N9 firmware version isn’t it? Is that where they have been addressed?"]

Correct.

["So the issues I raised for the Lumia 800 are separate to that and at the mercy of the Nokia / Microsoft partnership, are they not?"]

Partly M$, more-so Nokia I’d say. Given their nature of the ones you raised.

["Yes, I guess the issues I have raised are the sort of things that can be addressed in future software / firmware updates, but, for the life of me,, I cannot get past the fact that some of them are so fundamental that they should have been ironed out prior to the release."]

Well you do have to remember that WP’s relatively young compared to Symbian.
              It’ll take some time before it has the same depth of functionality.
              In some ways it’ll prolly never be the same.
              It’s just not the way MobileOS’s are evolving in general nowadays.
              That’s why we still have Symbian, Maemo et al to keep us sane, at least for a little while longer ;-P

["Like the navigation much on the Lumia? Navigation has been driving Nokia sales for the past few years, yet the navigation on the Lumia pales compared to Symbian variants on the Nokia 5800 and N8"]

Actually there seems to be a bug push coming to get it at full parity.
              LT it looks like it may even have most of the features.
              Maemo6x only just reached parity w/Symbian (shy 1-3 minor features).
              And it seems it may be forgotten about from now on, or at least mostly going forward.
              So the FOSS community will once again have to step-in & fill the void LT.
              Whereas ND3 will be targeted “specifically” for WP, Symbian will still be in the picture though.

• Ronan H says:

Yeah OK I’m a bit hard on stuff sometimes. I guess it’s not entirely fair to compare two entirely different OS’s”ss’ss”s and expect them to have the same features.

I will admit that. But, it’s hard to live with changes in things that make an item (in this case a phone) more cumbersome / awkward / time-consuming etc. to use. That’s the nicest way I can put it.

Anyway, I’ve unlocked my Lumia and it’s almost sold, so I am already moving on after a month long affair. I’m not willing to take the risk that the issue that I find some frustrating, “might” be addressed. I’ve never had an iPhone so I’m thinking I might get one of them and pick up a 5800 for pennies and glue it to my windscreen as a permanent satnav.

Tis been a pleasure rambling with you Shamus!

Be safe!

Ro

9. DesR85 says:

If this update include the camera software update Dinning promised, then that’s good. Also, I hope that it cleans up the camera’s interface as well because I see no use for Metering Mode, Flicker Resolution and Focus Mode. The former two should be automated whereas the latter’s ‘Macro’ option should be merged with the Macro mode in Scenes and the rest be left at ‘Normal.’

Just an opinion. ;)

10. Sachin says:

I am from india i got the latest update 1600.2487.81.12070 when i connected my phone to zune today but i dint get any of the mentioned features on my phone. No extra camera modes no internet sharing… there is no extra features added . i donno abt the battery but the capacitive buttons light prob has been solved….. It took 20 min for update but i dont get any extra features and the music BASS sucks . My samsung wave 525 has better bass and sound clarity and effects. Nokia ear phone provided with nokia lumia 800 is awesome oly if its connected to other good phones… with lumia 800 it sucks . Its a shame to Nokia. I had paid 29k last week and this week price has been dropped to 23500!!!… even dint get nokia music on my phone..!!!!! Hope nokia does something abt this soon …

• Seesaw says:

Get a N9 you’ll be much happier. I had both.
      Aside from a larger library of 3rd-party apps L800 was disappointing.
      If you’re not trying/buying new apps every day then there’s already enough for the N9.

11. dev says:

although i love nokia, i absolutely hate nokia, i dont think indian people want a phone with so many restrictions. even iphone dont sell well here. No bluetooth file transfer,no sd card, no usb mass storage, no file explorer, bad battery backup, u name it…… not everybody owns a pc. a mobile is use as some sort of a replacement for a computer here. 3g data is also very expensive. Nokia will definitelty fall if they dont do something very quick…….!!!!!!

12. Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins
    to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve
    worked hard on. Any recommendations?