I randomly came across this app yesterday called Health Choices. It’s a NHS choices app mainly for the UK but there are aspects of it that can be useful outside the UK.
It’s really useful in finding a range of health services around you. I remember before the difficulty in actually trying to find my new GP in Manchester – even a call to the central NHS board couldn’t find it. But this app uses your location and shows you what’s around you, e.g. dentists, pharmacists, GP etc. Some practices have ratings so if you’re thinking of joining a new one, you can see which ones are rated better.
You can also look up illnesses, information derived from the NHS so quite reliable. You can see the symptoms, causes, and diagnosis. Very useful as a learning tool. There’s a button to get treatment (sorry it got cut off on the video) that will allow you to contact the appropriate people, from booking an appointment to perhaps realising that something is an emergency. There’s also a news section for health related findings.
Unfortunately this appears to be a UK only app.
This is the second app video today because yesterday’s (206) didn’t get published in time.
#207) Health Choices
**** APP NAME CHANGED ****
Please note the application name has changed from ‘my NHS’ to ‘Health Choices’
Health Choices brings information about NHS services and health information to your fingertips. This App has been developed in collaboration with NHS Choices who supply all NHS service details and condition / treatment information. Integration with Microsoft® HealthVault® adds the ability to save condition and NHS service information against a secure personal account.
* Search for NHS services by name, location or close to you.
* Find contact details for GP’s, dentists, hospital departments and other NHS services.
* View ratings and key indicators for NHS services.
* Health A-Z for comprehensive information on conditions and treatments using content supplied by NHS Choices.
* Find where you can get treatment for your condition and compare NHS services.
* Get the latest health news from NHS Choices.
* Connects with Microsoft® HealthVault® to securely retrieve and store information about conditions, your local NHS services and more.
* Pin contact details of your local NHS services to your home screen.
NHS Choices supplies service information for the NHS in England only.