No Meltemi, what about Smarterphone? What is there beyond S40? What of Qt?

| June 15, 2012 | 407 Replies

Much may have changed in a short time as news trickles in to say that there will no longer be a ‘Meltemi’ effort from Nokia.

Meltemi was a Linux based OS what was thought to be capable of scaling down to very basic phones but also possible of scaling up. Meltemi followed the Maemo series of Wind names and gave some hope that there was still a bit of Linux effort going on inside Nokia.

Why not go full out Windows Phone for low end? Because WP can’t scale to the same levels something like the Asha 311 is doing – nor does it yet have those basic features expected from those users (e.g. BT file sending).

There was a shake up in the ranks as the head of the next billion project (next billion which was tied to Qt for next billion), McDowell steps down.

It just leaves me with more questions.

• What was Meltemi?
  • What was it like to use?
  • How did it tackle the Apps issue
  • What’s happening with Qt?
  • What’s happening with the purchase of the Smarterphone linux based OS?

According to TheRegister, the Smarterphone team will work on S40 instead.

There has been speculation as well regarding what will happen with Qt. Readers have been anxiously reading tweets from people concerned with Qt and have come to a conclusion that it is a dead end at Nokia. However, TheRegister provides a different insight.

So is it farewell for Qt and QML? Not at all, says Nokia. “Speculation is groundless,” a company spokesman told us.

Well, that’s all good saying that now. What people want is evidence that this speculation is groundless. What are they going to do with Qt? Why is Qt important? We need to show them that.

What now?

As you know I lean towards being a more optimistic person, especially regarding Nokia’s potential on what they can do. But day and day it gets harder as the walls around them close in. The factors are not simply stronger competition but Nokia’s own inability to be strong against outside forces.

I think that there is still a chance that Nokia could pull this off. But it requires precise alignment and success of various other factors outside of Nokia’s control. It is a gamble but one with a chance. Nokia have positioned themselves now at the centre of Windows Phone. Nokia could produce an Amazing WP8 Lumia (could. I am very hopeful but I have a sneaky feeling we’ll see some classic Nokia compromises somewhere that would kill it).

Lumia Windows Phone 8 can be significantly bolstered should Windows 8 become a hit. Xbox continues to grow, especially now with Metro and Smartglass integration, as well as other Microsoft assets such as skype, office, mail etc.

However, should it fail, then Nokia fails. And even if it should succeed, Nokia will have stiff competition gunning for a piece of the pie – and Nokia may not have the arsenal to defend itself.

It is a very difficult time right now.  We need Nokia and MS to deliver high quality products and services fast. Mindshare lost is not impossible to regain. But Mind share is difficult to reap back unless you consistently deliver attractive and desirable products. We can’t win a fight if we don’t even throw a punch.

Cheers all for the tip!

Category: Nokia

1. larryg968 says:

The sadness in Jay writing is now palpable.

I remember last year when I, and many others, said WP was a horrible idea. I couldnt have dream it would get this bad. I thought Nokia would become an OEM like lg or samsung. Boy was i was. Nokia is on the vergwe of bankruptcy.

To all the WP supporters, do u still think going all WP was a good decision. I bet even if Nokia goes bankrupt WP supporters will say Nokia had no choice because they would have gone bankrupt anyway, haha.

Anyway, I’ve moved on to android but Im looking forward to seeing how WP unfolds.

Its unfortunate that many people will lose their jobs and the man who orchestrated it all will make millions of dollars. Now thats sad

• manu says:

ive predicted wp will fail in symbian dominant asian and middle east market,but expected wp to succeed in u.s and europe.
      Check out the artice.its say 900 did well on april but crashed even below other wp in may/june.

But it failed everywhere

• jiipee says:

I’ve talked with a couple of Finnish sales guys on Lumia. One trouble they have, when customer asks what they should take 900 or something else, they have trouble not to propose L800. It is almost the same device with bigger screen and FFC that noone in Finland really uses. And the price difference is huge.

• Marc Aurel says:

And if you choose the Lumia 800, you could almost as well choose the Lumia 710, especially if camera quality is not that important for you. Furthermore, the 5 MP unit in L710 is actually pretty good, so for typical phone camera use the difference is very small. Of course the L800 has much more appealing design, but for many people that is not so important in the end.

As for the wider matter, I think it is now completely safe to say that the WP 7.5 Lumia line was not a success and in some places, Europe in particular, it has been an outright flop. So, unless the WP8 phones are really something incredible, Nokia will probably be done as an independent company before the end of 2013. That might of course happen even before that, because the stock is now so incredibly cheap.

• Anonymous says:

According to the article..
        “According to Compete, it outsold all but the iPhone 4 online, and sold at the same rate as the iPhone 4S, in its first month.”

Wouldn’t iphone 4S sales be atleast 500,000 per month online?
        So L900 sales online alone in its first month would be 500K. Add another 500K in store. Thats 1 million right there. At the start of its release, people were happy if L900 sales touched 1m in Q2. But it might touch the 1m mark in its first month only. Its not doing to badly in May and June either.

I think Nokia is abandoning plan B (meltemi) because plan A is a success. Its probably saving cash and allocating all available resources to WP.

• manu says:

ive predicted wp will fail in symbian dominant asian and middle east market,but expected nokia wp to succeed in u.s and europe.but it failed everywhere,

• Zipa says:

That article is full of BS. The Lumia 900 was the best selling “non-iPhone” on AT&T in May as well.

Anyway, Lumia sales aren’t really the problem. The problem was and is Symbian.

The only thing that kept Symbian afloat in 2010 was the fact that it was pretty much the only thing available for the smartphone buyer on a $100 budget. The high-end was already lost by the time the N8 and the other Symbian^3 phones went on sale, as is brutally evident by the drop of the ASP from a steady ca. 200 euros to 156 euros by the end of 2010.

As Android phones started to come rapidly down in price in 2011, Symbian was pretty much as dead as a dodo. It had no chance against the onslaught of the cheap Androids, and the rest – unfortunately – is history.

It’s not the high-end (Lumia) that’s causing Nokia to stumble. It’s the low end (Symbian). If you think about it, Samsung has reported to have sold “over 24 million Galaxy S2 phones”. Whoop-dee-doo. That’s a “massive” 2 % or so of the total smartphone sales in 2011. Yet Android had over 50 % of the market by the end of 2011.

I hope that you can see my point here?

• dr_zorg says:

“Anyway, Lumia sales aren’t really the problem. The problem was and is Symbian.”

The problem isn’t the oligarchs, the problem was and is Stalin – (Russian liberals in 2012).

Admit you are at fault and move on. Don’t make up silly excuses. Your pride is bigger than yourself.

What does Symbian have to do with WP failure as an OS? Nothing. Who are you still trying to fool? Or are you trying to wiggle out of admission of being wrong? :)

• Zipa says:

“What does Symbian have to do with WP failure as an OS?”

What does WP have to do with Nokia’s problems? It is selling about on par with the top-end Symbians.

Why don’t you admit that you don’t have a clue about the mobile industry and are only here to troll and bitch about Elop and WP?

• steelicon says:

Zipa, my dear Zipa. When will you ever open your eyes and see the world in a different light from what you are seeing right now?

I do not wish ill of you, but what you are doing is hurting yourself.

What kind of CEO would say that his company’s product is worthless shit and should be discarded WITHOUT even a working, not even a shipping, model of the replacement?

What kind of CEO would shut down factories where they make the models of their products which ARE STILL viable in marketability?

What kind of CEO would cripple the financial portfolio of his own company while saying that everything is going to be fine when in fact it is not?

Zipa. You can still be saved. Don’t believe the lies. Embrace the truth. It will set you free. You don’t have to defend the liars and the deceivers. You will be set free.

• kundo says:

Nokia have shorten symbian phones range.
              There is not really high end symbian phones now … n9 the sucessor of n8 is not symbian. Anyway without selling n9 in all countries it reaches more than a millon sells. It is estimated that nokia would have sold about four millons if was sold all over the world.

And Nokia also is not selling cheap symbian phones like before with nokia 5230 for example. Instead is selling more powerfull s40 phones. There is a part of symbian market that was replaced with s40. But if you see s40+symbian the market is still.

Perhaps selling WP is that bad, specially for USA market.
              But what have not sense is to anounce the death of your primary product (today most selling OS) before making a success alternative.
              And the fact of refuse selling a product in markets where it would allow important earnings.

The only thing I hope, is that they respect their words, to bring qt to the next billion phones … anyway Nokia would loose all credibility.

• twinklestar1792 says:

I like to use N9, but in India it was not released. I was waiting for successor of N9 with either(MeeGo / meltemi). But Nokia announced Meltemi’s death n I’m disappointed.

• jiipee says:

Well, the latest launches have been only WP phones, no new Symbians. The 900 is the best that they can do with WP since the HW specs are limited – ok, they could make one with 6 inch screen and have metallic body. And have the excatly same internals. Where is the qwerty model? The 900 launches have taken ages globally – the volumes arent that high that they would have problem with component supply.

What I am trying to say is, that yhey killed Symbian, the development and marketing too fast. Elop – or the ones who legitimized his actions – killed Nokia. And no, I am not saying that Symbian was the way to go. WP primarily for NA and maybe W-Europe, Symbian andMaeemo especially to China with China mobile support.

• Zipa says:

“What I am trying to say is, that yhey killed Symbian, the development and marketing too fast.”

There was nothing to kill. The very instant that Android made it to the ~$100 handsets Symbian was shot in the head at point blank range by the cheap Androids.

• snoflake says:

No Lumia sales are exactly their problem (and were always going to be, because no new platform can ramp up as fast as they needed it to) because Nokia so very public destroyed the credibility of their other products. Given half a brain between the entire BoD they would have introduced “the Lumia range to re-introduce themselves to the US market in parallel to their competitive world platform” blah blah and then brought WP to rest of world once it was more finished and they actually had a product not cannibalised their own market share and dropped 3/4′s of it in the process. Amateur hour from ass clowns.

• kundo says:

Its a terrible mistake to try to sell a new product saying that you should buy it because last products are not good.

Now I am selling bad things, things with no future, so you should buy this new product that has a great future.

What about the credibility of the Brand?

Elop didnt need to mention anything about symbian or meego, just sell it as before adding another SO, and if things go well and you have put qt in another products …then you could have told that you would stop symbian in the future.

I mean, if you introduce a new product, It should be there because Its good, … and not because the others are bad.

Its very clear that there is a lot of disguss with Elop in the web … so, Its clear that at least the comunication with customers is bad.

• faby says:

I second that mate.. People who spent their time kissing Elop’s ARSE since the burning platform memo now want to act as if they weren’t warned. However, this is not by any stretch of the imagination the worst think that ever happened to Nokia.

To all, just be patient we shall all find out in couple of months when Nokia world comes around.

Funny enough I am a big user of MSFT products.

• kiyari says:

I don’t think WP is a good decision anymore, and I was a WP supporter in the past (you can go through all the kani / kiya posts where I supported WP). It’s just when so many people are getting fired, some I know personally, and production is changed to cut costs and OS are stopped after ppl spent years making them, for nothing, then I can’t support WP any longer.

2. PuppyMonster says:

I have already used iphone, and android, but still coming back to Nokia. My very first phone was NOKIA, since I was a kid and until now. But hearing these bad news makes me think what will happen to the company we love? Elop kills everything Nokia has brought and made, including those good promises. if this will continue, I guess I have no choice but go with android. this is just so sad.

• Average Joe says:

The company you love does no longer exist. A company is made by the people who work there, the collective experience they’ve accumulated by working there over the years, and the vision of those who take the decisions and care about the company’s long term progress.

Nokia’s workers have been fired, their factories closed, their own technical platforms killed, and their best professionists left the company. In other words, only a brand is remaining, to be applied on someone else’s products.

• PuppyMonster says:

i know. But I just can’t seem to get over with it. a Nokia fanboy’s always a Nokia fanboy.I guess everyone here still has the little hope on Nokia.

• Cloud_Connected says:

I´m still using the X3-02 Nokia but smartphonelike I´ve bought an SE Arc S and Im quite satisfied with it. I didn´t want to browse mynokiablog and other sites in search of “good” Nok-news that would offer me hints of an successor of the N9 (despite any Elop comment) or a meltemi phone.

This is my first post here since months, but nevertheless I was reading MNB all the time: it´s sad to see the downfall of a great company at such a speed, but having bought an other company´s phone has saved much of my nerves…

3. manu says:

the final match for nokia is wp8.hope some miracle with it.

4. Adnan says:

Since Elop came to Nokia the company’s dead

• dr_zorg says:

Yes, that article summed everything up very well, a year ago. The writing was on the wall for everyone to see. However I find it amusing to watch flop’s bootlickers squirming and wiggling and saying they didn’t know. What a farce.

• Marc Aurel says:

Yes, but of course many of them are now saying that Symbian killed Nokia in 2010 and the WP effort was simply too late. There is no way of testing or confirming such a claim; it’s pure alternate history speculation, but of course that will not stop them from using it. Just see above in this discussions.

That said, I think the safest bet for Nokia in 2011 would have been to adopt Android and phase out Symbian pretty much the same way as they have done historically. Differentiation among Android manufacturers would have been more difficult, but I believe Nokia’s superior design, good build quality and unique imagining technologies could have achieved sufficient differentiation. Unfortunately is now probably too late to switch even to Android; Nokia will either live or die with the success of WP8.

• snoflake says:

Symbian’s dismal-ness in 2009/2010 inc S^3 and lateness and slowness of development and their complete failure to fully commit to Maemo (and then arse around with Meego) in 2009 or earlier even and to really sling some muscle behind it’s development (they could have stopped Android in its tracks) is what fatally flawed them and made their ultimate reliance on a third party platform probable.

But I am and have been since the announcement (check my AAS comments) hugely critical of the utterly amateur and destructive way in which the WP strategy was announced. Actually bringing in WP to address Nokia’s problem in gaining traction in the US would not have been a bad idea – IN PARALLEL to their other products. But to commit 100% to a third party supplier’s platform without any other strategy was lunacy or a deliberate act of wealth transferal from Nokia shareholders to Microsoft. The whole conduct of Elop makes the speculation on his motives and the probity of his relationship with his former employers more and more believable. Anyway too late now< Elop and his cronies will steal off into the night when the last bit of juice his been syphoned off to MS.

5. Edmund says:

Sigh, it is really a pile of mess that dated back a long long time ago huh, one misdirecting move after another. From OPK, to N97 to Anssi Vanjoki leaving, to Symbian mismanagement for years to Intel leaving Meego, Elop and now undoing the past. Everything we hoped wasn’t happening is happening. WP8 better be good…

• Guest says:

Intel only killed meego because Elop ended Nokias support for the plattform.

• Zipa says:

Yes, Nokia has been a ship without a captain, direction, engine and rudder pretty much since OPK. Elop at least brought a sense of direction and a clear strategy back to the company. Too bad that the execution has not been as good as hoped for, but I think that there’s definitely too much gloom and doom at the moment.

Sure, the axing of Meltemi and Qt also closed the door on what I thought would have been “plan B”, that is to roll out Meltemi across the whole range all the way to the high-end models.

Still, even the more negative estimates/analysis predict that Nokia would still close the year with around 3 billion in the bank, which isn’t all that horrible of a situation to be in.

6. sad day says:

Sad day indeed for nokia. A much beloved brand brought to it’s knees by a lousy os. Surprising that all those wp fanboys didn’t see it coming even though they were warned time and again. Besides the point actually, dead is still dead

• nickem51 says:

After useing Nokia N9 for three month now I dont understand how they could stop developing this amazing OS. How can they be so stupid.

Lets see will they stop the PR 1.3 at once or will they release it soon.

• noki says:

Its great right?, love my n9′s.

• J says:

Everybody loves his n9

• Janne says:

I love my Lumias more than my N9. :)

• Marc Aurel says:

It’s called “Stockholm syndrome”, dear Janne ;-)

good for you :)

• noki says:

see you make a really good point without wanting….
              I like the N9, I would buy the next N9+? You will probably buy the next Lumia. and that’s fine, but…..
              there wont be another N9 it was the last one, so and as you can see with the comments for many the N9 was their last NOKIA, nokia cornered itself to a spot with only a few million devices to sell… and not many wanting to buy them….

Most OEM’s sell what ever devices the consumers want… NOKIA decided that she knew best and knew what consumers wanted… Result is plain to see….

Enjoy your Nokia Lumia, it may very well be also the last Nokia.

• kundo says:

love my n9 too

and will never buy a WP

and I’m not the only

it’s about diferent kind of customers, if nokia plans to replace symbian/meego market with WP it will loose a LOT of market share

now there are a lot of people that is buying android because they have read that symbian/meego are obsolette (thanks Elop anouncements)

• Sefriol says:

I too love my N9, but people need to get some sense. ATM saying that WP is crap and Nokia shouldn’t have supported it is wrong. Blaming Elop is also wrong. Nokia itself chose OPK and Elop over Vanjoki. And I don’t really blame them. There was a reason why he was called Vanjoking.
          Plus, Nokia itself chose to take WP as their primary platform and I think it was almost their only choice. Making a PERFECT software has never been Nokia’s strengths. Abandoning Symbian was inevitable, because it had too much bad reputation. Even FP2 isn’t were it needs to be to compete with other OS.
          So why not Harmattan/Meego? Because it had almost zero app support. People say that WP doesn’t have enough app support, why would Meego be any better? People would have avoided it to this day. Current Lumia devices got some sales because they had heavy marketing behind them and Microsoft supported it.
          I know that people want to bash WP and I know why, but please do it when it’s right: After WP8 release, because that tells were Nokia and Microsoft are.
          And if WP8 gives all needed updates then all is up to Nokia itself. If those new Lumia devices are bad it’s unfair to say that Nokia would have done any better with other OS.

• Luisito says:

I think blaming Elop is right… yes under OPK mistakes (the big one N97) were made, but its under Elop managment that Nokia got this kind of problem, under my standars WP isn’t perfect, but still I can recognize why Nokia choose it over other options, the problem was the way the transition is/was handle; Symbian memo thing just make things go so fast, faster than expecte by Elop and Pals (yes Symbian was failling, but it was something happening in a relative slow pace), those 150 millions Symbian devices that were planned to be sold, these incomes that they need now. All this is a Elop fault, no matters what metric do you use, it’s HIS fault, OPK fault was is slow reaction to the market, and the lack of vision and a bad executions, but the guy left a company that would be save without this horror show…

The actual state of Nokia is just Elop fault, simply…

PD.: even IF Nokia survive as a standalone company, I’m still wondering if they will be still relevant, if we will see homemade beauties like the N9 Harmattan, or it will still be a Filand company

• noki says:

I bash WP not because its bad, (it is), but because Nokia decided that it could only have WP, there there was no space for anything else and everything else had to be killed.

This was the result of the only WP policy… Nokia will soon be sold for scarp metal…

Me and most of Us are perfectly fine with nokia experimenting with WP, but what about android? and Nokia pass product range?? Are sales a bad thing that nokia had to kill at all costs???
            Nokia did not had to search far, see what other Oem’s are doing experimenting with anything that sales and making profits out of it…

NOKIA did not had to go all in with WP, it was an unnecessary risk that ended up being NOKIA death.

• larryg968 says:

Agreed. If nokia just added WWP to its portfolio that would be perfect. But dumping everything else. Nokia was bound to fail.

On top of this, people r speculating whether W8 will be another vista. That make tings even worse for Nokia. If people associate WP8, Nokia and a PR crushed W8 with metro and tiles, Nokia goes bankrupt immediately.

• Average Joe says:

So where’s this PERFECTION that WP brought in? After two years of WP, we still have an OS not devoid of bugs and missing features of S40. We still have people waiting for the next version of the OS to make things better (Mango will fix this! Tango will fix that! No, WP8 will!). Can you change the backgro0und picture without hacking the registry yet?

Believe it or not, “apps” are a transient phenomenon. People (and I mean big players such as Google and Mozilla) are fixing HTML to make web sites work exactly like apps. Without the lock-in. You can see the first results in the Nokia Maps site, for example. That’s why Samsung weren’t afraid to develop their own platform, first with Bada (which has been a success in its market segment) and now with Tizen: because many technologies are now converging towards HTML5, and closed “ecosystems” sooner or later will wither (except Apple’s perhaps, because of their cult status, but then again Apple and their users are quite used to big changes, and Apple are one of the leading HTML5 contributors).

• Odin says:

The reason Vanjoki got a nickname ‘Vanjoking’ was that he told that the mobile phone could replace a compact camera in the future ä which was a laugh at the time. Obviously he knew about the ‘Pureview’ technology already back then. Nokia 808 has just beaten award winning Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, a camera that won a dpreview silver award.

• Jorge Arturo says:

And he was right, in this very moment more photos are taken with mobile phones than compact cameras, the fact that we are seeing special zoom, wide angel and other lenses for the phones is a prove that in time it will replace the profesional camera.

• Death Merchant says:

You’re gonna have to increase the amount of Kool-Aid you drink, because it’ll get very ugly for WP/Elop.

“There was a reason why he was called Vanjoking.”

Well, it seems Vanjoki will be vindicated. 808 Pureview is damn close to a DSLR quality already. That Olympus that 808 was pitted against in the latest blind test by GMSArena, has the same 4/3 sensor that is used by Olympus in their DSLR cameras.

WP apologists however…not looking good. Moving the goalposts again:
            “Wait for WP8…”
            Before that it was “Wait for Tango…”
            And before that it was “Wait for Mango…”

Pathetic…

And MeeGo’s lack of apps is because the OS was killed by Elop before it even came out. Not many are willing to start developing to a platform announced dead by the very company that developed it. And still MeeGo has many very good apps. Most essentials are there thanks to community.

• Janne says:

We may not agree on many things, but I always thought Vanjoki would be vindicated on the DSLR quote. Partly of course because he was misquoted, but also because he had a point.

808 camera is magic. I love mine.

• snoflake says:

Keep it boxed carefully could soon be collectors item like the last Ericsson models.

• lordstar says:

How is the ui? I’m waiting to hear your thought with belle fp1, is it competitive enough??

Would a cheap belle fp1 phone be profitable or no? Seeing that Nokia again emphasized on lumia.

• Lord US says:

The 808 is lacking a proper zoom. It has only that cropping tech they use to simulate zooming. That’s a decent solution but it’s not a real zoom. When you use the cropping zoom you lose the PureView effect.

I would love to see a comparison between 808 and compacts when the real zoom is used. Have you seen one?

Software support for the N9 and Symbian is not so great just because the installed base is not so huge. It would have been small compared to the competition without the burning platform memo.

• noki says:

“It would have been small compared to the competition without the burning platform memo” You know that because your magic crystal ball tells you??

Think its safe to say that in worse case scenario it would have sold as many Lumias were sold so far (i believe it would have sold much more transition from symbians being much smoother), so if the pathetically small user base works for WP it would have not for N9 because????

BTW after spending countless hours looking at the over 200 LUMIA apps reviews here I’m not so sure about the overwhelming quality of them, most look incredibly cheep and alf baked, specially the free ones. On the N9 there is more than a couple with extreme quality and given its DOA status its incredible the amount of available good apps.

• Death Merchant says:

“Symbian is not so great just because the installed base is not so huge”

Installed base of Symbian not so huge? In which bizarro universe is that, because it sure as hell isn’t so in this real one.

That comment alone proves you are totally clueless and just trolling for WP/Elop.

Here’s the installed base at the end of 2011:

2011 SMARTPHONE OS INSTALLED BASE

1 . . Symbian . . . . . 314 M . . . . 35%
                2 . . Android . . . . . 247 M . . . . 27%
                3 . . iOS . . . . . . . . . 149 M . . . . 16%
                4 . . Blackberry . . . . 106 M . . . . 12%
                5 . . Windows Mobile . 20 M . . . . . 2%
                6 . . bada . . . . . . . . . 13 M . . . . 1%
                7 . . Windows Phone . . 7 M . . . . . 1%
                Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 52 M
                TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . 910 M

• steelicon says:

Oh my… what a tiny installed base.

• loci says:

There might actually be a point in that: From the moment when statcounter started seperating S40 and Symbian (S60/S^3/etc.), the numbers do not look that good for what we understand to be Symbian! Go check the graph for the period after April 2012!

Also, this gives a totally different view on “there were so many Symbian phones out there in 2011″ – many of them will have been S40 feature phones or old S60 phones. But Android had moved in very, very fast within 3 years, and the masses certainly weren’t looking at buying a new S^3…and smartphones, that were the market was/is headed (and the money is to be found).

• kundo says:

“Abandoning Symbian was inevitable, because it had too much bad reputation.”

Anouncing its death doesnt help the reputation.

Android is not better than Symbian Belle … there is a great work in the last versions of Symbian, but it is anounced as obsolete.

I agree to replace symbian in the future, but keep in mind that today is primary nokia OS. It is what Nokia is selling now.

7. Skyfall says:

Nokia can still survive if they start making Android phones

• Luisito says:

Not so easy, specially due to the todays harware racing on the Android camp

• Marc Aurel says:

Yes, it is almost too late to change to Android as well, and if and when WP8 phones fail to become a major success, it will definitely be too late. Elop has obviously managed to convince the Nokia BoD that WP8 will save Nokia, so he will stay at least 6 months longer and while he’s in charge, it will be WP or or bust.

• snoflake says:

Or both

• kundo says:

There is no way for nokia to succed with WP.

Suppose for a moment that WP sells a lot and reaches the amount of symbian/meego sells. That should indicates that WP is popular as Android. In this case Samsung and others would sell WP, and there wouldnt be enought diferentiation with other WP selling companies.

The only way to have a big smartphones maket share is with its own OS like the times it has symbian and it was the best smartphone OS. Apple wouldt have its market share selling Android.

Thats why S40 is now very important for low/middle-end. But nokia needs also a sucessor of harmattan for high-end.
            Applications will arrive to new platforms very fast if nokia anounces a clear road for qt. It is not difficult to port qt symbian applications to any other SO with qt.

8. Fadi says:

Speaking of Mind share.. When will they realise that people don’t want Windows Phone???

I finally saw the other day a guy using a Nokia Lumia 900 (for the first time)! And I came up to him and told him that it was a great choice of mobile device (since it’s a Nokia), and all he said was.. “Eh, it’s okay.”

I personally will never buy a Nokia Windows Phone.. Currently, I have a Nokia N8, Nokia N900 and a Nokia N9. And will buy the Nokia 808 PureView. But if the 808 Pureview is the last non low-end phone that is not a Windows Phone.. Then that will be the last Nokia phone that I will buy until they stop selling anything that’s Windows Phone based.

I will always be a Nokia fan, and I will always keep an eye on Nokia and even promoting Nokia (as usual) if I have to. But definitely won’t bother to waste my money on Windows Phone and their ugly Metro UI.

9. Jesse says:

Nokia is running out of money. Which is sad.

• Zipa says:

Not in the next year or two, though.

• noki says:

That’s the reason Nokia is saking 10.000 people because they are swimming in money, that’s the reason they are selling the IP portfolio because money was blocking the door.

• Death Merchant says:

By years end they will be seriously low on cash and nobody will loan them. Thanks to that junk rating that Elop just got to Nokia.

What a wonderful CEO. Right Elop/WP apologists?

• noki says:

Nokia wont make it to the end of the year, Q2 numbers are another disaster, and Q3 will only be worse (no one will by old Lumias after the wp8 announcement).

• Death Merchant says:

True. Nokia is a dead man walking now. Only question is whether Nokia is bought by someone or goes bankrupt.

I hope that Nokia will not be allowed to go bankrupt, but that Samsung will buy Nokia and revive MeeGo-Harmattan/Swipe UI/Meltemi/Qt in some shape or form. Maybe they could put Swipe UI into Tizen and incorporate Qt. And maybe even give Symbian some love for a few years. Also Samsung could really use those patents against Apple and need to keep them away from Microsoft.

Last thing I hope is that Microsoft gets Nokia. Imagine MS with all those patents. In the words of Colonel Kurtz: “The horror…The horror…”

• Marc Aurel says:

Just Kurtz, though. That line in “Apocalypse Now” is a direct quote from Joseph Conrad’s original book, where Kurtz is not a military officer and has no title.

• Death Merchant says:

Yeah, was referring to Apocalypse Now. One of my favourites of all time. :) It had a huge impact on me when I was lucky enough to see it in a movie theater in my late teens. It even was the alternate ending version where we can see the camp spectacularly destroyed by firebombing.

That movie made me a Doors fan as well hearing The End for the first time. “This is the end. My only friend the end.” How fitting that is to Nokia’s current situation.

• snoflake says:

Will run out of operating cash before then – obviously Q2 results are going to be worse than Q1 and therefore cash burn will have accelerated (I think I recall it dropped by E1.5bn between Q4 – Q1) they had c.E4.5bn in liquid cash at Q1 results so cash burn prob c.E2bn or north of that leaves E2.5bn cash which is barely enough to operate a manufacturer the size (although shrinking fast) of Nokia (in terms of parts suppliers and day to day financing and they can’t borrow money from the banks because half of them are f**ked up and all of them are battening down the hatches because of Euro crisis and Nokia’s credit rating and prospects (as reflected in the share price) are lower than whale sh*t.

According to Thursday’s statement Q3 is expected to be no better so at best Nokia run out of cash Q3/Q4.

Game over

• Jesse says:

Nokia was sinking under Symbian long before Elop arrived. They have never been competitive in the Smartphone era. Nokia was in the conversation all year for the first time in a long time but unfortunately they never delivered a compelling product.

Personally I love my Lumia 800 even though it is missing too many features to ever be very popular. As for the 900, I absolutely despise it.. Which is sad, they put so much marketing into that piece of junk. It is so uncomfortable to hold.

• KF says:

“They have never been competitive in the Smartphone era”

typical american that get brainwashed by the american media (with all the respect) ;)

• noki says:

Jesse nokia was sinking with symbian, but they did not have to jump to the frozen water. the current WP or nothing strategy did no one no good including WP… it placed incredible pressure on WP wen its simply could not deliver… I think elop and blamer thought they were being smart, and that nokia user base would simply move over to Lumia range, fact is that they did not, for one thing WP was not ready to replace the symbian consumer expectations on basic functionality and price range, at this moment Nokia as no user base, sales of WP wont grow at least until the new WP8 devices, and nokia does not have the money to survive till that point.

Nokia is now up for sale, and I’m not sure Microsoft will want/can buy it. and to make things worse it will mark WP as the OS that killed NOKIA, not sure any OEM will want to touch WP ever again.

I know Nokia had problems and it cant be all WP foult, it is not. But at the end of the day WP was the boat that Nokia was sailing to get it out of trouble and it plunged Nokia into bankruptcy…

• Jesse says:

To me, Windows Phone is irrelevant in the Nokia conversation at this point. They have had less than 1 year in limited markets and Microsoft fitted a billion dollar bill for the developments.

Nokia’s cash mostly came from the feature phone market which is unrelated with Windows Phone.

• incognito says:

Yes, but Nokia, like any large company, has huge expenses and in the past 6-7 years a third of those expenses was covered by their smartphone unit. The very inability to make any money (actually they are still selling them at loss due to marketing expenses) out of the Lumia line, along with killing any alternative but the Lumia, is what puts Nokia at loss.

They’ve cut out the fat in the first go, now they’re cutting the meat as well, and still nothing comes out from the deal but huge loses. And that is augmented by the 250M Microsoft gifts them each quarter since Q4’11, otherwise it would be even worse.

There is no other way to spell the current situation than a – utter and total failure of the strategy. Now they’re hedging once again on the promise that Microsoft will, so-they-swear, actually deliver something that could entice users with the WP8. It hasn’t happened in the past several iterations, no real reason to believe that it will now. And Nokia is betting what little they have left of their farm after the last bet on Feb’11 on it. Shear lunacy, but OK. Some WP-lovers seem to prefer Nokia to die so long the WP can live, but the plain fact is, as I have said earlier, that Nokia will drag WP to the grave with them. Karma, ain’t it a bitch.

• Jesse says:

Definitely a fail in execution, if Nokia had made Symbian a competitive product none of this conversation would exist. Windows Phone to me is still irrellevant in the big picture. Microsoft was looking for an OEM to push Windows Phone and Nokia was looking for cash handouts.

What has Nokia brought to Windows Phone that you think would be successful with Symbian or Android?

• noki says:

“Windows Phone to me is still irrellevant” It might be irrelevant to you but it was not irrelevant to nokia strategy for the past 18 months, and the results are public… Me like many others here have nothing huge againts WP, except that for some reason it had to be all in for nokia, no one as done that… WP was not ready to be an all in strategy, and NOKIA suffered the penalty. NOKIA is going to die and the MICROSOFT WP NOKIA love affair is directly involved in that.

• noki says:

“Nokia’s cash mostly came from the feature phone market” that was dying and that nokia was migrating into low cost symbian’s, same symbian that was publicly killed for something that could not take its place…its all connected, don’t try to remove WP out of the equation as its probably the most fundamental part of it.

I know alot of cheep androids that compete in that market and they are no better than crapy symbian most are way worse, so nokia plan was good and would phase out symbian nicely, maintaining important sales/userbase that nokia needed, the plunge into only WP left Nokia with nothing in that segment.

Its not Microsoft foult. WP was thought as a Iphone killer never as a economy smartphone.(for the US thinking of the US, by the US) I would say it was incompetence of ELOP & CO for not knowing what Nokia was.
                Example no BT trasfer or USB mass storage is irrelevant in the US bit not in India Africa or China.

This is just the result of the initially bad call.

Cheers

• Jesse says:

Everything points back to Symbian’s failures and Nokia’s uncompetitive devices if you really step back and look at it.

Would Elop be there if Symbian and Nokia were doing well? No. Was Symbian losing marketshare in the masses before Elop? Yes. Is Symbian now competitive with Android and IOS? No. Does Android, Symbian or Meego make Nokia competitive today with their current devices? No.

• incognito says:

… does Windows Phone make Nokia competitive today with their current devices? Even less so…

• Jesse says:

Exactly, it is irrelevent what Nokia did with Windows Phone as their demise came way before it was even born.

Nokia let the industry pass them up, and they have no solution to the problem. Not Windows Phone, not Meego, not Android and not Symbian.

• noki says:

@Jesse NO WP is not irrelevant WP only strategy was fundamental to Nokia demise. Fortunately WP will be remember by that.

Nokia demise did not camed with symbian it was having profits and increasing sales numbers, sure it might have started to fall in market share but sales were up….
                      after the memo BUM nothing uter colapse of sales…
                      And did wp help in any significant way to mitigate that???? NO none at all WP is irrelevant to the world wide market as it was wen launched… unfurtunalty that irrelevancy proved to be fatal for nokia…

• Jesse says:

Forget the memo, forget Elop.. Just tell me one device that would save them if it ran Symbian in the current market?

• noki says:

“@noki Tell me a Nokia device they make today that would save them if it ran Symbian?”

Its not about the ones they made, its about the ones they did not made the sport they did not publicly shown, the marketing they not use, because it was all about WP…

if Nokia would have sported symbian I think we could expect a similar decrease sales curve in Nokia as the one we see in RIM, so nokia should be sealing something like 20-30 million symbian phones now, instead i suspect that in Q2 symbian sold something like 5 million

This gap marks the difference between a small loss and a Nokia Bankrupt.

• Jesse says:

I don’t know, Blackberry has a very unique user base that is hooked on BBM especially in developing countries. And they also embedded themselves into so many big businesses that cannot easily transition. Blackberry is hanging on because of its services, but they are both heading to the same end.

Also Blackberry devices are still tied to carrier subsidies.

• noki says:

No if you step back and look at it you will see that symbian sales were up, losing market share but selling more and more devices at each quarter, in fact this was fundamental to the strategy elop expected the sales numbers to keep nokia on float as it would ship Lumia range (remember 150 million more)…

The memo and the actions Elop took in the following months were moronic (remember the “leeked” lumia 800 vid, or its all about the “ecosystem” rants), and mined symbian sales were simbian was not even in direct competition with the Lumia range, I think he was over confident on the success of the thing, in a way he suffered from the same exact problems the Fins do…

• Jesse says:

This isn’t two years ago, products have gotten better and Nokia has not kept up.

If you go into a ATT store in the USA Lumia’s have a big presence and good customer satisfaction rates, something I have not seen in years from Nokia but like you said it doesn’t matter because that is not the market Nokia depended on.

They dominated a market that basically no longer exists.

• incognito says:

@Jesse, and instead of adapting to the market that exists now, they went on to dominate a market that not just no longer exists, but never existed in the first place. Yeah, brilliant strategy…

• Jesse says:

Exactly incognito, they had no strategy.

• noki says:

“Exactly incognito, they had no strategy.”
                      so you admit that WP only was no strategy?

I will fully agree with you on that.

• Jesse says:

For sure I agree with that. Windows Phone can’t even run on the majority of Nokia’s product range. Windows Phone makes sense on smart phones but nothing else. I do think the market is transitioning to only smartphones but it will be around 2015 before it becomes cheap enough.

• Death Merchant says:

Was Symbian Nokia’s cash cow and making profits before Elop killed it replaced it with WP? Yes.

Has WP, Elop’s new cow, become a cash cow for Nokia? No. It’s not milking.

In short:
                    Nokia with Symbian – Profits
                    Nokia with WP – Losses

• steelicon says:

But… but… but… Look at the tiles! It’s so wonderful! And it is so fast and smooth! They even done away with that pesky Mass Storage, Bluetooth transfers and modem capability to prevent virus from entering the pristine environment!

Symbian is too clunky and cumbersome with all those features!

• kundo says:

1) Would Elop be there if Symbian and Nokia were doing well?

Dont know :/

2) Was Symbian losing marketshare in the masses before Elop?

Not much when he arrived … it was stable worldwide last quarters.

3) Is Symbian now competitive with Android and IOS?

Symbian Belle is very similar to Android. The bad part is that nokia says its dead, and this kind of bad publicity doesnt help to popularity.

4) Does Android, Symbian or Meego make Nokia competitive today with their current devices?

With S40+Symbian Nokia is still the company that sells more phones in the world.

As you said before, WP is not relevant, that’s because its market share is not so relevant.
                    But what is relevant is that Nokia is killing its own products because of WP.

• Jeff says:

Can you stop with your spam/necro-posting…
                      It’d be excusable if you had interesting arguments, but you don’t.
                      (and I’m actually more-or-less on your side of the argument)

• nickem51 says:

Money should be enough for approx. 2 years maybe. What IF something POSITIVE will happen? Now everybody are only seeing troubles and bankrupcy ahead. What warries me is that they seem to rely 100 % on Microsoft. No PLAN B what so ever.

10. Odin says:

Originally, Meltemi was developed in collaboration with subcontractor called Nomovok. In spring 2011, all subcontractor contracts were terminated. Meltemi development was continued in Oulu and part of the work was transferred to new location in Ulm,Germany (possibly because the termination of the Bochum plant was proved to be extremely expensive operation). If Nokia had continued to use subcontractors instead of moving the development to new people in new location, the Meltemi phone would have been ready last January. It is possible that McDowell got fired because she could not deliver the Meltemi phones in promised schedule.
    Meanwhile, the Android phones have become cheaper and are now competing in the same price points the Meltemi phones were planned to operate, which could be a reason to cancel the Meltemi project. However, Elop has not admitted anything yet. It could be that the Meltemi work still continues in Oulu and the reason to close the Ulm was that they were just incompetent. Nokia still continues to develop QT and now that Symbian is buried, the only reason would be that there will be another QT compatible OS coming. I hope that Maemo/Linux work still continues, but I’m getting more doubtful all the time.

• Oleg Derevenetz says:

“Meanwhile, the Android phones have become cheaper and are now competing in the same price points the Meltemi phones were planned to operate, which could be a reason to cancel the Meltemi project.”

As I understand, Meltemi was intended to compete with Android exactly in that sector (top of low-end), where S40 currently isn’t able to compete. There is no reason to cancel it because Android penetrates in this sector, on the contrary, Meltemi SHOULD BE there because Android is there. Relying only on S40, Nokia will lose battle for this segment for sure. Personally I don’t think that neither Meltemi will survive (according to all these twits from Nokia engineers), nor WP8 can help to overcome Android in that sector – WP is too fat for that.

• noki says:

Plus it was an OS tailored to preform well there were android does not. Bada as been doing ok there despite android. Of course that’s Samsung a company that knows what he is doing, placing all the eggs in all the correct places…

• lordstar says:

The strategy now is to make a more low end lumia range to compete with budget Android devices right? I’m not sure if there will be anymore to look forward to with regards to a new os in development..

• Oleg Derevenetz says:

Well, as I already said, I think that WP is too fat to fit. Latest MS effort in this direction was Tango (512M RAM -> 256M RAM) and Lumia 610 (Tango-based) with price $250-$300, which is nowhere near enough to S40 hardware requirements and price (~$100-$150).I don’t think that Apollo will be significantly better in this regard. What I think, Nokia is firing people, closing divisions and selling patents because of its disastrous financial results (and not less disastrous prognosis for a foreseeable future). I think that this is just a panic and agony.

• Marc Aurel says:

The key issue in Apollo HW requirements is screen resolution. In order to compete with low end Android, it should support HVGA (480×320) and hopefully WQVGA (400×240) as well. If WP 7.5 supported those, there would be now reason to skimp on the memory. Memory is cheap, displays are expensive. Unfortunately recent rumors suggest that VGA (640×480) will be the lowest resolution supported by WP8 (intended for portrait QWERTY phones), which will not cut it. At the very least nHD (640×360) should be supported, or Nokia can forget competing with low end Android.

• noki says:

Yeah I think its very clear now the Q2 and Q3 are disasters on the making… And nokia does not see any way to survive to try to market WP8, plus its not even sure WP8 will sell any better than WP7.5, so it liquidating all that can be turned into money and hoping for some miracle…. Honestly I don’t see any future for nokia now Lumia range sales will only slow down after the WP8 announcement…and Nokia wont be able to capitalize on a big WP user base wanting the best new thing from their favorite OS…
            IMO Nokia is now Dead we are just watching a Funeral.

• jiipee says:

That is very interesting information! And sounds valid. Thank you for it!

11. Maybe says:

After axing everything in Nokia. Axing Meltemi is not a big deal for Elop. What left of NOkia only s40?
    So now, you guys that stand behind him will be so happy regarding this news. After one year and a half become CEO of Nokia, only axing and talk rubbish that he does best. N97 was the biggest mistake but Elop is thousand more worse than n97 that make N97000…

12. Deep Space Bar says:

soo umm guys they symbian back and meego back PRONTO to fix this i don’t car what anyone says right now but the situation they are in they need everything and and anything they have right now to get back cathey need to stop waiting for microsoft to help and make their own shit again like before and speed up the process of development and design and push their own hardware and seign hard and have better service but for symbian and Meego cause Windows is slown with progress and nokia is limited

13. Twinklestar1792 says:

Who is gonna fire Elop from Nokia?

14. Death Merchant says:

“Amazing WP8 Lumia”

Now that’s an oxymoron if I ever heard one! :D

15. steelicon says:

Breaking news!

WP Apologists / Shills / Evangelists / Liars = ABANDONED and CORNERED.

• Oleg Derevenetz says:

Well, many of former Elop/WP apologists are already beginning to suspect something ;)

• noki says:

Yeah I noticed that even a few WP apologist started to believe something fishy is going on and that it hurts WP in the long run….(Malcolm Williams at http://wpsauce.com a good example)
        I agree fully, this management is doing no one any good, no one will want an OS that marked the end of a what was the #1 smartphone maker in the world.
        Nokia is probably dead and it might just have taken WP to its grave along with it… In the near future we will see alot of court fights by Microsoft using nokias former patent portfolio. But I suspect that will back fire with consumer market hating Microsoft even more.

• incognito says:

Well, if we are to look on the positive side, there might at least be one good thing that might come out from failure of Nokia – they’ll drag WP with them to the grave. Nokia has been a mortal enemy to Microsoft since late 90s, they pushed Symbian and invested a ton of money just to make sure Microsoft doesn’t get a foothold in the mobile industry, so it will be a kind of poetic justice that they drag them to the grave. Still, the price is too high… But karma is karma…

• Death Merchant says:

“…it might just have taken WP to its grave along with it”

If that happens, it’s the only good thing coming out of all this madness. Microsoft not getting their ugly monopoly in the mobile.

16. sepp says:

nokia is so dead. wp8 to the rescue, lol

17. pik says:

“Nokia is also exploring alternatives for another of its development environments, known as Qt, which today is used largely in embedded devices.”

“We’re fans of Qt, and we’ll continue to support it in the near term, but are being open about looking for opportunities which may be best for this developer framework,” Kerris said.

Pretty much confirms they have no long-term plans for using Qt now.

• Jesse says:

I have yet to meet a developer in my travels that has ever tried QT. I am not saying it is a bad framework because I would not know but it just never caught on and things are moving so fast.

• noki says:

Jesse do you fly? you know all those infotainment systems most of them are powered by Qt, Qt is massive on the embedded scene, also hugely popular on the movie rendering area.
        The embedded area is exploding, with every single appliance having a touch screen powered by Qt under.
        At Qt no one is really worried, lots of potential new bosses of the people in Oslo.
        The LGPL license makes it non lockable (never was with the deal they have with KDE) so Nokia stake on it is basically only the contracts with people working on it, and its not a huge amount of people new contractors for those people are lining up, and Nokia as to actively convince them to stay.
        Or sell but they wont make much out of it since all they have is really just the contracts with the people working on it…

• noki says:

P.S. you should give it a go and test it, Its a lot of fun. Specially Qt Quick declarative language.

• Jesse says:

I would like to if I find time, I just never get projects for it. Everything is Objective C these days which I hate but that is the demand. Everything else is C++, C# or Javascript. I get very few requests for anything else.

• noki says:

Doing only mobile right? if you get some embedded you probably will ge a chance… If you are comfortable with Javascript qt quick will be a breeze… plus you can use your how c++ there as well for extra speed… even if with the new V8 engine in Qt5 Javascript should be really fast..

• Jesse says:

Mobile and Web lately, used to do a lot of desktop stuff but that is dying out a bit. I will definitely give it a try, love javascript but hate HTML so might be a perfect framework for me haha!

• noki says:

Dude you you have no idea ;) I’m so happy I don’t have to do HTML stuf this days. Me remembers fighting with css and failing in 10 different browsers in 10 completely different ways, with me going loco on the process…

• yasu says:

Well Qt is a C++ framework and QtQuick is a Javascript like one. You should feel right at home.

• gabriel9 says:

Even Miguel De Icaza (MS dude) says QtQuick is better:

I started some projects in Qt and QtQuick and it is really great framework.

Well i have meet a lot of developers who use and tried Qt.

• incognito says:

Then you don’t meet a great lot of programmers outside of your (MS-oriented I presume?) bubble. Almost whole of the scientific community heavily relies on Qt, a good portion of the movie (especially Hollywood) as well, quite a lot of embedded development, too… Generally in all environments where there are mixed platforms Qt is usually the binding material.

Now, if you were thinking on Qt-on-mobile specifically, then yes – not a lot of people are on it. But that’s only due to Nokia’s failure to keep a straight aim and entice developers for their mobile platforms. We have yet to see if RIM can do something about it…

18. Anonymous says:

According to the article..

Wouldn’t iphone 4S sales be at least 500,000 per month online?
    So L900 sales online alone in its first month would be 500K. Add another 500K in store. Thats 1 million right there. At the start of its release, people were happy if L900 sales touched 1m in Q2. But it might have touched the 1m mark in its first month itself. Its not doing too badly in May and June either.

19. Peter says:

The thing is, with Symbian death looming and now Meltemi facing the axe, Nokia HAS to have some kind of plan for the low-end that we do not know about. Or perhaps it’s Smarterphone?

WP will be the mid-range to high-end platform but what about the cheapest segment?

• Shane says:

Yeah, that’s the whole point, have you not been reading the articles all over the net & here…
      They’re going to push WP into the area Meltemi was going to sit, only S40/30 remains for the very bottom-end.

• Peter says:

I have been reading articles, but it’s hard to get a definite answer among all the uncertainty and speculation. I was aware WP is expanding lower, but by how much was the question. Lumia 610 right now is the lowest WP device and it goes for well above 100 euros.

But you are right, it seems WP and S40 are the only platforms part of Nokias future for now.

I hope they can get atleast some use of the Smarterphone purchase. Nokias continuing story of not going the whole way with their projects and just sucking at “execution” is really frustrating.

• Shane says:

I can totally relate to the frustration…
          But I’m beyond that now, hopefully it’ll all end soon.
          Then we can stop talking about Nokia for good.

• kundo says:

There are more S40 models now than before.
      This seems to be the strategy for low-end.
      Today this means 1Ghz+touch … but … very litle RAM (not multitasking).
      The question is if we will have QT on S40.
      I think this would be the way to make it very competitive against cheap androids.

If nokia decided to use a sucesor of Harmattan, I think it wouldnt need symbian in the future. There is nothing intermediate between harmattan needed hardware and s40 needed hardware. The only problem today should be to have enough applications for this sucesor (if it would be one).

• Jeff says:

No, it’s technically infeasible to shoehorn Qt into the spaghetti code that is S40.
        That’s why the whole Meltemi/SP axing is so bizarre & blows…
        The end game is to eventually phase-out S40 & squeeze WP 8x to the very bottom.
        Or to not even bother with the very bottom any more….
        Or to continue with S40/derivatives & eventually just ditch Qt entirely.
        Now shut-up, please….

20. lordstar says:

Qt’s main function for Nokia now that it has cancelled meltemi is for Symbian apps right? I hope we get some more quality apps for Symbian before it completely fades.

• Shane says:

Yeah & Maemo6x, & to a much lesser extent Maemo5x

• Shane says:

Oh & BBX & Tizen, but it’s really only a side project for the latter.
        And easy portability between those platforms isn’t even close to being a priority at this stage, as far as I’m aware.

• lordstar says:

Well I hope Nokia diverts qt developers for symbian now that the 808 has just been released.

• Shane says:

I’m sure it already has quite a solid base since the S^3 gen. 2 devices that arrived end of 2011.
            There won’t need to be a much bigger diversion…

21. Odin says:

I was extremely disappointed to hear that Nokia is terminating Maemo Meltemi project. Even the official press release did not give much hope for open source development except that Nokia said that they remain ‘fans of Qt’.
    I have been following open jobs in Nokia and last week there were no open position in Finland at all. However, when I checked the situation today there was one position; Nokia is looking for senior software engineers who know C++,Qt and Unix, which obviously mean Maemo/Meltemi development work, not java based S40 which is not Qt compatible. If Nokia is still recruiting software engineers for Maemo development, it means that the Maemo work has not been terminated but is consolidated to Oulu. This is why Nokia still continues to support Qt also. So, why would Nokia not tell the truth? One reason might be the hard lesson of Symbian sales dropping after the ‘burning platform’ memo and an another the Lumia sales suffering of coming WP8. If Nokia would say that they will replace S40 with Maemo, that would hinder Asha sales at the moment.

• Shane says:

Maybe, extremely wishful thinking though I think…
      I’m sure they still need Qt devs for work NOT relating to Meltemi for quite some time.

• Odin says:

ob Description
        SW Developer, UX/Application Development-RES0000030W

Description

Nokia makes adventure possible everywhere, everyday. Adventure is any size, and happens anytime and anywhere. It’s not limited to only big experiences. It is accessible and ‘on your terms’. Adventure shakes up the conventional so that people can lead more interesting, exciting and richer lives.

Our goal is to build great mobile products that enable billions of people worldwide to enjoy more of what life has to offer. At Nokia, you have a personal opportunity in an inspiring environment to make a global difference. Build a career that you will be proud of. Go on an adventure everyday. Help shape a new era in the mobile industry. It’s your world. This is your moment to shape it.

We want to invite you to work with us together on the next-generation platform and on innovative solutions.

In Nokia Oulu we have the reputation to make things happen. We have the courage, right attitude and right mix of competencies to succeed. Will you be the right person to join our talented team?

Our Offering

To join our growing team
        To work with evolving and challenging technologies
        To work together with the most talented individuals in the world in diverse teams
        To invent next-generation mobile services for users world-wide
        Competitive salaries with excellent progression opportunities

We have an opportunity to strengthen our newly established team with you as a Senior Application SW Engineer driving next generation products innovative form factors.
        To be successful in this role you have several years of professional experience in C++ SW development in Linux related environment. You have solid command of Qt/QML and SW development tools and version control systems. You have strong experience in mobile related application development.

Qualifications

As a potential candidate you have knowledge and experience of the following:
        MSc or equivalent degree related to software development
        5+ years of professional experience in C, C++ SW development in Linux related environment
        Deep understanding and Experience of Qt/QML SW development
        Strong experience in application development.
        Deep understanding of Qt/QML and SW development tools and version control systems.
        Understanding on base technologies such as kernel, upstart, glibc, toolchain
        Good Team Play skills
        Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills
        Ability to work efficiently under high pressure with tight deadlines and demanding quality objectives

• Shane says:

Yeah and?
          There’s still a small no. of people needed for Maemo6x.
          For at least another year or so I imagine…
          That’s just all recruiting speak, it means little.
          There need to be way more solid info than just this.

And even if it is still going, it’s progressing at snails pace compared to what it would’ve been, so it may as well be cancelled.
          In-fact it’s probably already on the books for Elop’s next round of chops.

• incognito says:

Given the latest proceedings, it’s far more likely that somebody got away on time and Nokia still needs those people for ongoing operations (they can’t really abandon it all as N9s and even some N900s are still under warranty) – hence they are just seeking a replacement for a guy that has quit.

• Shane says:

Man I hope BBX can bring it, it’s our only decent Qt refuge.
        But it seem MS’s making a powerful move w/WP8 to drastically weaken them.
        There’s a very strong enterprise focus that WILL hurt RIM.

• Odin says:

“We want to invite you to work with us together on the NEXT-GENERATION PLATFORM and on innovative solutions.

I don’t think Nokia needs software engineers in R&D department because of warranty issues. R&D focus is in the future.

• Shane says:

As I said, most likely just recruitment speak/spiel..
          It’s a BIG leap to make, that they’re recruiting for R&D/future_disruptions, just because of the way the txt is written.

• Odin says:

Why would Nokia recruit people to Oulu, where is an R&D center for developing mobile phones (not ‘WP smart phones) with specific skills C++, linux and Qt, if they were to terminate the Maemo development work?
            One must realize that Oulu has been a center for Maemo development work for a long time. Ulm in Germany was utilized only for a short time since last year after the subcontractor deals were broken. How successful was the knowledge transfer to Ulm, and did the Ulm deliver what was expected?
            If Oulu as the major maemo development hub would be closed, hundreds of software engineers would be sacked, it would be illegal to offer corresponding work for someone coming from outside of the company or announce open positions.
            There has not been talk about closing the R&D department in Oulu.