NokConv: Unique Nokia 808 PureView coming to America

| June 19, 2012 | 62 Replies

After the hints on the Nokia USA facebook page, and the subsequent US addition to the 808 availability map yesterday, the Nokia 808 PureView is official at NokConv too.

Unique Nokia 808 PureView coming to America

Specs page for anyone interested: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/808/specifications/

The revolutionary smartphone will be available unlocked and unsubsidized through Amazon.com. U.S. consumers will be able to purchase the Nokia 808 PureView for $699 and use it with a compatible SIM card from AT&T. It will also work with T-Mobile – but only at 2G speeds.

They make note of the recent achievements from the independent tests performed by GSM Arena too. Good stuff.

I can see some complaints about the price. I was just talking about the PureView with some of my friends yesterday and they said they thought something like that would be worth at least 1000EUR. But then again, they’re not techy.

Cheers Jonny, Steelicon

Category: Nokia, Symbian

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Nokia potvrdila dolazak Nokije 808 preko velike bare! | NokiaMob | June 19, 2012
  1. amoshydra says:

“T-Mobile – but only at 2G speeds.”

This could make people hate the browser more..
    Isn’t Nokia 808 using penta-band network as N8?

2. JD! says:

Unique Nokia 808 PureView coming to America… And UNIQUE part is : “T-Mobile – but only at 2G speeds.”

Great Uniqueness… Good Job again Nokia!

3. JGrove303 says:

Are they fucked in the head or is there something missing from the specs? Like, “it doesn’t have a 1700 band on 3G because it has an LTE radio and uses the 1700 band for 4G LTE.”
    That would be the only conceivable reason ours would be ‘unique,’ be favored to AT&T, and cost 200 bucks more.

4. JGrove303 says:

STUPID

5. zlutor says:

2G speed – OMG! I cannot believe it…

6. Dave² says:

It seems 1700 band for T-Mobile 3G is not included for the USA version.
    Can’t have some good news with out some bad at Nokia, it seems…
    Regardless, I am still getting one.

7. Aliqudsi says:

Unique maybe the new colors?

8. Janne says:

I think the word “unique” simply referes to the 808 as being unique.

And clearly the are releasing the RoW version of 808 in the U.S., so the main benefit is the U.S. warranty, but other than that it is like the Lumia 800 – mostly for AT&T customers.

I don’t think expecting a special U.S. version of the 808, tech-wise, was really plausible. I doubt they sell enough to justify it. Damn those weird American frequencies. :)

Here are the 808 specs from developer.nokia.com:

Frequency Bands
    GSM 1800
    GSM 1900
    GSM 850
    GSM 900
    WCDMA Band I (2100)
    WCDMA Band II (1900)
    WCDMA Band IV (1700/2100)
    WCDMA Band V (850)
    WCDMA Band VIII (900)
    Data Bearers
    Dual Transfer Mode (MSC 32)
    EDGE Class B
    EGPRS
    HSDPA Cat10 14.4 Mbps
    HSUPA Cat6 5.76 Mbps
    WCDMA
    WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n

9. Sonny says:

Why couldnt nokia beefed up the specs a bit? Like say a arm cortex a8 instead of an arm 11? Or 1gb ram instead of 512mb? Make it a bit better for the usa cause there its multi core wars.

Any news if it will come to south africa? I need to upgrade but dont want the 800 or android

• wat says:

Yes, everything is compatible. The universe is one.

wat

• Janne says:

Cost is probably one reason, the other not fragmenting the Belle platform – now that Symbian is on the way out anyway. Why Nokia’s Symbian has lacked always in specs is another question… Symbian itself (or Nokia’s version) is one reason, the other Nokia’s frugal bean-counters.

I doubt 1 GB of RAM and a better CPU would make much difference in the way 808 sells – it might simply sell less if it were to cost more. The performance seems to quite good for a Symbian device as is.

• Ebon & Unicorn N9s says:

Nokia SA on facebook confirmed that it would make it to SA but am yet to see it on their website or on the availability map..

• carbontubby says:

Because Nokia can’t figure out how to port Symbian to ARMv7 architecture so they would rather have us all enjoy slow ARM11′s rather than the Cortex designs.

Oh, and it saves them a few cents per phone by using old junk, so they can post even greater profits…

10. stylinred says:

we need some clarification from nokia…. is it pentaband still or not if it isn’t i think i’ll just wait until the phone is in the bargain bin

11. carbontubby says:

Knock knock Nokia, is there anybody alive in there?

I can’t believe nobody knows which bands this thing supports. Either it’s pentaband or it’s not, simple yes or no answer anyone from Nokia can come up with.

It would cost too much money to have one country variant use a different baseband just because Elop hates Symbian :-) Either they’re all pentaband or all quadband.

12. SLAYER says:

There was a time when nokia were Unique. not anymore.

If the international version can work on your preferred network, I’d suggest shipping from europe. it might be even cheaper this way.

13. Janne says:

I do wonder what happened with 1700 3G. The 1700 reference seems to have disappeared from many places, but it was in the 808 manual delivered to FCC. End of page 126:

Was the 808 supposed to ship with it, but chipset availability, cost or something meant it didn’t make the cut in the end? Or is this simply a PR mistake (one way or the other) somewhere at Nokia?

• Ebon & Unicorn N9s says:

I don’t think this is a PR mistake for the reason that all consumer related materials show the new quad-band 3G instead of the penta-band one. It is a decision taken due to some reason.

• Janne says:

It is strange considering all Belles are pentaband 3G and the developer.nokia.com (usually the most reliable source for specs) still lists the same pentaband there for 808 as they do for other Belle phones. And places like a manual sent to FCC are not exactly the kind of places were mistakes related radio frequencies are good to have…

Weird. I wonder if they had issues technical with the 1700 frequency and disabled it?

• Ebon & Unicorn N9s says:

I know.. Even the high-end Ashas have them..

The only technical reason I can think of is that the 808 uses a new antenna which doesn’t work well with Band IV (AWS system – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands) but this seems far off since Nokia must have been testing them on all the bands while designing the antenna. The other reason is it uses a Qualcomm chipset which seems unlikely at this stage.. I wish Nokia would release some info on this soon.

• Janne says:

Agree. If anyone hears anything on the reasons behind the lost 1700, please post.

• Ebon & Unicorn N9s says:

the conversations site has updated saying it does support Band IV and it was a mistake due to wrong specs on the consumer sites…

If there is someone I want Elop to fire, it would be the guys who maintain the consumer websites. Big mistake especially on a day when Nokia releases a Symbian phone in the US. :-D

• Janne says:

Didn’t you get the memo, Elop himself writes all the blogs disparaging Symbian. He can’t fire himself. :)

• stylinred says:

oh never mind thats an amazon seller not sold by amazon

• waiting4808 says:

I’ve been checking amazon daily for the 808. This seller had no feedback just a few days ago and had only 3 phones available. Now all of sudden he has 3 five star ratings and still has the 3 phones available. I’m calling a scam.

• stylinred says:

well it was originally a placeholder by amazon for the 808 but it was just listed as “unavailable” and the reviews and likes were for the 808

I think the seller or amazon just latched on to this seller as an alternative

still waiting for Amazon themselves to update the listing with their own preorder :/

14. Sonny says:

Why dont nokia market their symbian something “symbian dont need dual core for simple stuff” Also something like “look we can do 1080p videos on a arm11 cpu, no need for dual or quad cores” or “look we’re running 20apps at the same timenon 256mb ram, can your quad core phone do that”

• lordstar says:

I think Nokia is quite aware of the strengths of Symbian and its advantages compared with other devices. The problem is Nokia has focused on a completely different strategy which is to build an ecosystem via microsoft lumia devices. Those statements right there would have worked if Symbian was still the main strategy of Nokia of course that doesn’t take away the fact that what you’re saying is true.

• Sonny says:

I know what you mean but still symbian is part of nokia and doesnt matter if it will bw phased out but why sell the 808 then? I find it hard for a CEO to just let one of your own products just fade and die like that without even try to make a success out of it.I think its not too late to make symbian better then what people think of it now because belle fp1 isnt as bad as 5th edition and pr1.0 what caused all this negativity towards symbian.

Better keyboard, better browser. couple of thousand apps then bam! we back

only if nokia could still care about symbian like they do for WP like they do now then things would look better

15. To american T-Mo users, there is hope because they are developing 1900 band for 3g to get Iphone users to switch to T-Mobile. Also,I cannot see Nokia selling 808′s with different hardware in the US, but I can be wrong.

16. Alex says:

Not happy…

No pentaband = no sale

And I was so ready and excited to replace my N8…

Can someone confirm that the European or Asian models are or are not Pentaband?

17. Reonhato says:

I’m surprise no one has commented on how high the price is ;)

hope it goes down a bit.

18. bogdo says:

Honestly, it’s like they try to piss off their loyal customers with this no pentaband nonsense. There is no way a pentaband can’t fit in that bulky body. They are either being cheap or stupid, most likely both.

19. Viipottaja says:

Update on the Nokia Conversations on the band issue:

“UPDATE: We incorrectly stated that the Nokia 808 PureView would only work with T-Mobile at 2G speeds. This was incorrect and caused by an error in the spec sheet. We’re sorry about any confusion. The Nokia 808 PureView works just fine T-Mobile in the United States.”

These folks running Conversations need to get a bit more savvy and double check this kind of information. At the very least, don’t go out making statements like they did about it only working on 2G.. jeesh.

• Viipottaja says:

Not to mention the folks putting together the specs sheets also need a big boot deep in their arses for continuing to make stupid mistakes like this. FOCUS PEOPLE! :D :D :p

• Ebon & Unicorn N9s says:

+1. All the consumer sites of Nokia has this error.

Glad that we’ve the developer site to rely on for specs..

• reptile says:

Just saw this! This is HUGE! I’m so happy it was just a mistake!

• amoshydra says:

We have to spread this news around before ppl get bad impression on it!!

20. steelicon says:

Ok. What is the secret code to really make sure which band frequency is supported on the handset? Secret code like *#0000# and *#06#. Does anyone have an idea?