Update: Nokia 808 PureView works fine on T-Mobile too – NOT 2G only speeds.

| June 19, 2012 | 48 Replies

Folks got pretty annoyed with the news this morning that the Nokia 808 PureView for USA would only have 2G speeds when on T-Mobile.

That is no longer the case, and NokConv cites this was due to a typo.

UPDATE: We incorrectly stated that the Nokia 808 PureView would only work with T-Mobile at 2G speeds. This was caused by an error in the spec sheet. We’re sorry about any confusion. The Nokia 808 PureView works just fine with T-Mobile in the United States.

Cheers Mariano for the tip!

Category: Nokia, Symbian

1. Cameron says:

such kind of typo was so intentional and naked negative PR. they never want 808 any success in the first place

2. t t says:

I wonder how poorly they know their own products.

3. JGrove303 says:

Well know that that is cleared up…

Why the ridiculous price hike? Middle class (as if there is one now) Americans are almost poor as Manila Philippines residents. Why do we get the pric tax? Are ours built in Finland instead of China? Will will get additional packed in goodies like the tripod mount? That should be standard equipment really. Who’s not going to want that.

• Janne says:

Quick check confirms that the 808 is still cheaper in the U.S. than in Finland, at least.

• Viipottaja says:

What Janne said. Plus, this is a niche device and possibly in relatively short supply at least right now (they may of course ramp up production later). Supply and demand, basic economics.

And, as much as I love the middle class :), in this case I am more than happy if Nokia can milk some margins on this while it lasts.

• zlutor says:

“supply and demand” – yes. But if something is purposefully overpriced (like in case of N9) the demand will be lower than it could be. Frequent cents instead of rare dollars/euros, you know… :-)

In other case, how would somebody explain that a device running on an obsolete, burning platform performs comparable with the over hyped, extremely subsidized, uber-total-brutal flagship running on a modern but not so well received OS?

• zlutor says:

let’s imagine how many N808 could be sold for 100$. Or for 49$. Or together with the famous 100$ bonus.

How many N9 could have been sold with the same conditions? :-(

Anyway, let’s hope N808 will perform well and it let Nokia to buy some time…

• dpr says:

Don’t you get it? Only Windows phone will be cheaper doesn’t matter how high end it is. Obviously this phone will be fail on US.

4. Janne says:

Well, that makes more sense. All the Belles have been pentaband.

5. steelicon says:

Day 1: First 2 sold of more to come. 2 of 20 / mo. = 18 to go. :)

6. TS says:

Would that mean it is a peta band? Specs sheet has to be updated.

• Janne says:

3G pentaband, yes. The spec-sheet was always correct on developer.nokia.com / Devices.

Never read those consumer specs. The real stuff is always on the developer.nokia.com site.

This mistaken info never made any sense to me. And yes, it turned out to be a mistake.

7. Yemi says:

Glad to see this corrected. I was listed for a minute. Now lets wait for it to become available and see what it comes with. I cant decide on which color to buy. Most likely white or red.
    I hope the other blogs pickup the correction

8. reptile says:

Now I’m curious as to how the US variant is different than the international version. How is it “unique”? Is it unique? My overly hopeful and optimistic side thinks it’s getting 4G or the new colors, but I don’t think either will actually happen.

9. deep space bar says:

dumbasses……..that is all they should have left it as it is At&t and Tmobile compatible on 3G+ speeds :/ they always do this with symbian and never with wp7 for ‘some’stupid reason

10. dss says:

So the specs on their developer site are .. somewhat accurate. They still state that it has two charging ports like the N8, which isn’t the case

• Janne says:

Well, obviously the developer site can have errors too (anything can), but overall it is the place to go for the most accurate specs. The consumer specs seem to get dumbed down and hauled through some different process that seems to produce sub-standard quality more often.

11. Joe says:

Every single time Nokia Conversations announce a new top line model that doesn’t run Windows Phone, they mess up at least one important detail. This occurrence is therefore not surprising.

• lordstar says:

Well the ratio is 20 lumia articles to 1 symbian/meego related news. Haha it’s not even helping

• Janne says:

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

This is Nokia we’re talking about, okay? They have been fumbling things since times eternal.

Suddenly after going Lumia people seem to think every mistake Nokia makes is proof of sabotage.

That is just silly talk. They’re still the same fumbling Nokia we care about. No matter how irritating they are at times.

People should just keep their calm. 808 is getting the global release people said it wouldn’t. It is pentaband. The price in the U.S. is same as in Europe. It will go down in time. Symbian just got update to the free Microsoft Office suite. Belle Refresh will come to older devices and so on.

They are not trying to sabotage their products. The limited N9 release in any case was a special case for special reasons.

12. steelicon says:

Well this is a bit unsettling. Received 2 units so far and NONE of them are sealed. :-/

I’ll be escalating this concern when I receive the other units with the same condition later this day.

13. Extraneus says:

Hmmm, we’re talking frequency 1700, right? It’s still listed as:

WCDMA Band V (850)
    WCDMA Band VIII (900)
    WCDMA Band II (1900)
    WCDMA Band I (2100)

On EVERY Nokia site around…

If it’s a typo they really should be getting around to fixing it asap! I’m from/in Denmark, so no worries for me (as usual, Yanks have to be contrary to most everyone else! :D ), but this seems to be a serious marketing flaw from Nokia’s side, and I can’t for the life of me understand why they let it happen, and why they don’t fix it as soon as they notice it?!?

• Janne says:

But not on developer.nokia.com which is the important site. They always had it right.

The mistake never made any sense to me considering the technology used in all Belle models.

I am not surprised to hear it was a mistake. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

14. Tomi Ahonen (not really) says:

But Elop hates Symbian! That is why he removes 3G chip from 808 so it cannot be used on AWS! Symbian must die so Lumia can live!

(not really)

Janne is right, before considering ill intent, don’t leave out plain old stupidity.