Windows Phone 8 Officially Announced, 1280×768, multicore (up to 64 cores), SD storage, NFC

| June 20, 2012 | 49 Replies

Image via Engadget

A flurry of news is coming in that Windows Phone 8 is now official. A quick round of specs:

• Screens up to 1280 x 768 (so standard 1280×720 available)
  • Multicore processors (engadget says up to 64)
  • External Storage on SD card
  • NFC
  • C++ native code
  • One platform for desktop/tablet/phone, porting apps from one device type easier than before. Full fledged NT kernel for coherent ecosystem.
  • Wallet function
  • IE 10, double HTML5 performance over WP7.5
Hopefully, Nokia decides not to be Nokia and tries to push the specs and not go for the standard bare minimum for the next gen Lumia.

Source: Engadget

Category: Windows Phone

Sites That Link to this Post

1. 10 reasons I want a Windows Phone 8 device | TechRepublic | July 30, 2012
  1. BellGo says:

I was not blow away, but at least WP 8 fixed some of the many issues I had with WP 7.5.

Also, up to 64 cores? Lol that will be enough for a pretty darn long while.

2. BellGo says:

Oh, also will this be available as an update for current Windows Phones?

3. rishabh says:

what did you say 64…. now it feels like nokia is also having some cool card to through

4. Marc Aurel says:

Any info on lower than WVGA resolutions supported, he any? Nokia would need them to compete with Android in the sub-$200 segment.

• KF says:

don’t worry nokia will make a lumia 510 running wp tango with 128mb RAM that can’t run apps or recieve sms or make calls :S

5. KF says:

I have a feeling nokia will use the good enough specs, maybe a snapdragon s3 at maximum

6. Marc Aurel says:

Any info on lower than WVGA resolutions supported, if any? Nokia would need them to compete with Android in the sub-$200 segment.

• Raj1402 says:

WVGA resolutions is max supported resolution!!! bit suprised max resolution fixed at WVGA resolution but multicore fixed at 64 !!!

7. vladest says:

no multitask? flop

• Rejei says:

not even Bluetooth file transfer :(

• Jay Montano says:

Nokia will have an app for this.

• Rejei says:

that’s not confirmed though, right?

• Reonhato says:

I hope it is free unlike the ones in cydia for ios $10usd for that feature @_@

• Grendell says:

Still not the same as with it through file management system. USB OTG, HDMI out, Pureview and FM Transmitter would round out it out perfectly. Get these out and Nokia has me back on board. Despite the tile interface. I have to admit this looks very promising for Microsoft. I have to feel bad for early Lumia adopters though, specially the ones that were so vocal towards Meego. It seems they’re on the same boat now. It’s really sad Nokia thought nothing of shafting its new fans on WP7.5 as it did it’s old fans on Symbian and Meego/Meltemi.

• Jay Montano says:

Oh totally. flop flop flop. Check out that flopping iPhone.

8. Law says:

Hell ya, finally dual core, 720p screens and memory card support. Thats all i really needed from nokia/msoft. And with pureview tech to take care of the camera we will finally have a worthy phone that nokia fans can be proud of

9. Reonhato says:

any word on bluetooth file transfer and no zune software required to operate?

10. Kan says:

SD Card is a massive fail. People will put in sub standard cheap cards and then blame the phone.

No need for SD card- memory is cheap. Phones should ship with 32 or 64gb as standard. The whole industry is stupid in aping Apple who gouge their customers with 16gb, 32gb, 64gb models. Lumia should never have been 16gb.

11. lordstar says:

So if you’re a potential Nokia buyer, would you get current lumia devices or wait for windows 8 handsets?

12. Gokul says:

wp8 comes in september So Nokia will face though quarter . Last chance is q4 .if wp 8 fails no Nokia in 2013.

13. Titanium says:

Native C++, so Qt on WP8 is technically possible. On both WP8 and S40. It depends only from Nokia to do it.

• incognito says:

You will still, probably (they haven’t explained), have to utilize their UI layers and APIs if you decide to code native, and you will need to pass through Q/A on the Marketplace which does state that your app should confirm to the UI guideliness, so even if you port Qt you won’t be able to do much with it.

14. Paul Grenfell says:

No mention of pureview? Will it it even come close to the 808?

15. rstyle says:

Now I’m really excited for the next Nokia phone…

All I want is