Advertising Goofs: Samsung Galaxy S3 920 in Red, Exclusive from Walmart

| November 28, 2012 | 37 Replies

image

Every now and then we stumble across an add that makes us scratch our heads, and wonder what on earth the person in charge was doing; today is another one of those days. With the launch of the Walmart Exclusive Samsung Galaxy SII 920 in RED! Which just happens to look exactly like a Lumia 920, but runs Android 4.0 (Blerg). Unfortunately the S3 920 is only available in stores, so good luck getting it anyplace other than your local Walmart :P

Still anyone want to place any bets on how long before Samsung makes their own lumia?

Via Source

Category: Android, Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. jmlion says:

Why so much disrespect towards Android? :|
    It’s the closest thing to Symbian philosophy. Open, customizable, without restrictions, etc.

• aboodesta says:

because it somehow lags on a quadcore processor.

• swain says:

No it doesn’t. I am a long time Symbian user. Last week purchased a tablet(yes, it’s my first ever android device). I was waiting for a Nokia tablet but god knows if they can ever make a tablet.
        I must say Android is not that bad as I was thinking earlier. It’s much like my Symbian. All the Symbian functionality are there and even more than that.

It doesn’t lag like many people complaint. That’s a different story if you are using a sub $200 android.:)

• lumianer says:

Wait few months and there will be lag

• swain says:

Yeah may be it will but that’s due to huge number of apps installed during those months. But hey there are tools like “fast reboot” in ‘play store’ which will help you in killing/restarting unwanted processes and free up resources. Cheers:)

• Pathetic says:

You’re right it is impossible to have lag in windows phone , you know why ? because Windows Phone does not have enough applications , sorry if I hurt your feelings lol

• Pradeep says:

Personally, I don’t mind the said ‘lag’ (coming from N97>E7>701>Lumia 800). But then, the lag is questionable on 6 months old Galaxy Note – 1.5 GHz Exynos dual core SOC with Mali 400 GPU. The same was the case with a friend’s One X (all running ICS). I really didn’t buy this ‘lag’ stories on high end Androids, but facing that in person (at a friend’s marriage in Punjab yesterday), it does reflect on OS’s resource consmuptions.

• swain says:

Hey check if you have lot of apps running on background. Download any tool like “fast reboot” which will help you in killing unwanted processes and free up resources.

• Method Beat says:

Haha, One X, try the JellyBean 4.2 for AOSP One X (Intl.)
            Doesn’t lag at all, 450MB+ RAM is free at all times :D

• dss says:

As long as they have that shitty java VM in there I am not touching it… yes, it is the closest thing to Symbian.. but yet so far.

• ndeep4318 says:

same here after using belle ,, bought an ics tab . the thing i like about android is unlimited options like on belle there are hardly 4-5 web browsers .. While on android there is boat skyfire chrome mozilla and many more

• keist says:

Android is a true smartphone OS with tons of features and proper multitasking. A bit of a lag is forgivable. iOS and WP are dumb OSes with no multitasking and not so much processes going on in the background should be faster on same hardware. Even WP8 takes a while to open apps.

• stormtroller says:

agree with everything except multitasking. noone beat maemo5/maemo6 yet when it comes to multitasking.

• Pathetic says:

android is the best OS in these days no matter what your mind fanatic pro windows phone tell you or make you think windows phone sucks , I do not understand how you fans are blinded by a poor OS , closed, no applications , without basic functions , no multitasking , no customization, you fans hate the iphone , but do not see that windows phone is the cheap copy of iOS ? Windows Phone is the Chinese copy of iOS a fuc*k*ing Chinese copy. You say android lags, yes maybe , a desktop lags too, so what’s the point ? android can be compared to a computer for its power , windows phone with what can compare ?? maybe with a calculator

• Pathetic says:

android is the best OS in these days no matter what your mind fanatic pro windows phone tell you or make you think windows phone sucks , I do not understand how you fans are blinded by a poor OS , closed, no applications , without basic functions , no multitasking , no customization, you fans hate the iphone , but do not see that windows phone is the cheap copy of iOS ? Windows Phone is the Chinese copy of iOS a fuck*ing Chinese copy. You say android lags, yes maybe , a desktop lags too, so what’s the point ? android can be compared to a computer for its power , windows phone with what can compare ?? maybe with a calculator

• ndeep4318 says:

lol just download windows phone launcher from play store and that whole ”magical” lumia will be in your droid .. To be true wp7 launcher on my s2 is faster and smoother than my friends lumia

• StephenElop says:

Because its a badly stolen and copied product that lags, crashes, infected, incompatible apps,

• Pradeep says:

While meaning no disrespect for Android, I don’t think its closest to Symbian ‘Philosophy’. In fact, probably no mobile OS currently is.

Symbian, I believe, was mobile adaptation of Desktop OS-es. Conceived in day and time when fast speed mobile internet was not as widespread as common grass, a Symbian powered device provided me functionality like email, browser, calendar, file transfer / share etc., customization, file systems, external memory management (remember those SD cards!!!), document viewer etc. out of the box, without spending a rupee more on the device.

Android on the other hand, was never any of the above from inception. First it was Google’s BlackBerry, other QWERTY devices’ etc adaptation (earliest Android prototype weren’t even touchscreen). Than after iPhone launched, it all became touch centric with persistent focus on cloud and further feature addition in every iteration. Android was always and will remain cloud centric. Thats quite an anti thesis of Symbian!

• swain says:

“Symbian powered device provided me functionality like email, browser, calendar, file transfer / share etc., customization, file systems, external memory management (remember those SD cards!!!), document viewer etc. out of the box, without spending a rupee more on the device.”

Agree with you on above.

After spending 2-3 days with an Android device I came to know that these features are there too.

Now why it’s not close to Symbian ?

Symbian was great in it’s days and I still like my 808 more than my Android device. But, Android has all the features of Symbian. Call it a copy or wannabe but it has the features and even better in some aspects.

2. FireDragon says:

It’s an “AD” – just a correction. :) And wow for that ad maker.

3. keist says:

I still can’t believe there are people other than iSheeps that resist Android. They’d rather be stuck with a second-rate iOS than embrace the new Meego. Yes, Android is the new and better Meego. Both are Linux-based and open source. Even the N9 can run Android. So I will never understand why Meego lovers can’t love Android when it’s the closest thing to Meego.

• nabkawe says:

Meego is a fully fledge Linux OS running much like a PC , Android is built upon a Java Kernel that’ll always bottleneck its speed in favor of being installed on so many different hardware.
      We love Meego because of the UI not the Linux Kernel only.

• Noki says:

Java Kernel??? heeeeee :( do you know how many levels of wrong you just stated there??? You are free to say what you think, but don’t you also think you should know a bit before saying it?

• yourmama says:

Clueles as ever..

• stormtroller says:

Meego lovers will never understand why Android lovers (fags?) thought that they are already at the top of linux world’s knowledge when they hold android in their hand.

• Noki says:

And you think calling Android lovers “fags?” is a good argument? and the rest of your argument is even worse…
        I’m a Meego lover and have nothing against android, apart from Dalvik I don’t like to much.

• Noki says:

Well I don’t mind android to much sure prefer it to WP. I think most meego fans here are with me on that, its not our cup of tea but its ok,,,
      If some one asks me if Nokia should lunch android phones to test if the market likes them, my answer as allays been YES it should.
      Could not possibly go any worse than the wp experiment.

4. crazy for mobile says:

nokia n9 is the true multitasking phone ever.