Popular WP Twitter App “Carbon” Pulled From MarketPlace, Developers Say Farewell to WP

| December 12, 2012 | 30 Replies

Carbon is a well known cross platform Twitter app (there was a WebOS version available, as well as the currently available Andorid version); last year carbon released its sleek interface to the Windows Phone world were I personally enjoyed it. Unfortunately today Carbon developers announced that they are pulling the app from the Marketplace and ending all WP development. The reasons stated on Carbon’s blog:

We had big plans for Carbon on Windows Phone, we listed some of them in our previous posts. Yet, given the state of volume of sales and Twitter’s continious pressure on third-party client developers it has become less encouraging, and given that we barely covered costs(no profit) with Carbon on Windows Phone we slowed down development and re-evaluated our next steps. Then came our re-write plan for Carbon, decided we had to re-write the app as it was based on a slow base & it was non-performant. That was the time we were in looks for WP talent here in Dubai to rewrite and start over, that turned up to be costly and not even feasible given the volume of sales.

Most of the other apps that are on sale(paid apps) on Marketplace are of a side-project nature, our products are not side projects and they are actually our bread & butter.

Blogs jus’ jumped the gun with News about us pulling  the app off of the Marketplace, without even a line of e-mail for at least a simple clarification, which is a bummer given that we have been in direct contact with them before.

Since we stopped updating the app long ago, it is the best way to stop sales, there are no options for us to keep the app in the Marketplace and only stop new Purchases, so to further stop dissatisfaction of new users who won’t get support or updates we pulled it out of the Marketplace.

I guess that’s it for Carbon :’( read the full post here: http://carbonwp7.com/blog/2012/09/23/end-of-the-line/

Category: Applications, Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. SmoledMan says:

Rowi is the #1 Twitter client on WP, no need for any others.

2. Pdexter says:

It’s kind of shame because they came in with a lot of fanfare to the platform, but now there’s many Twitter apps that are simply better.

3. Frankie says:

I personally prefer Gleek or Cowlick!.

4. JGrove303 says:

How do any of these preform better than the official twitter application. Our of curiosity. Any WP8 optimized yet?

5. Elboo says:

m.twitter.com

Give it a break already with these website apps.
    Its like people go retardo mode like they never used a web browser before.
    herp derp i need an app for a website whaaa whaaa

• dss says:

I would say that a pretty good % of the apps in the app store are.. a less functional replacement of the websites they are representing.

Considering how good the browser on iOS is.. its amazing to be that people still download them..

• Harangue says:

This is exactly what I never understood. Most apps are repackaged web content, some make it easier to use a service others are downright useless. What should happen is a move towards more touch and phone display friendly sites, you immediatly target all the mobile platforms out there and you have next to zero issues with all the different screen sizes or processors or whatever.

Some apps are good and deliver a better experience than what the web can offer, but in many cases this is down to poor design of websites.

• AdiS says:

Notifications ?

• Keith too says:

Obviously you don’t use Twitter.

6. Juan Donis says:

I prefer Mehdoh, Gleek and Twabbit. If want an light twitter app is time to test Tweet it! and Metweet.

7. air-dex says:

There is a mistake in the article. Carbon has not been released on Android yet. :-(

8. Keith too says:

The fucntionality of Twitter apps is lot the same so the thing I liked best about Carbon was its nice, custom designed icon.

9. StefanP says:

Looking at the bowser stats, I can’t find a clear upward trend for WP, except in Finland. Even declining in Norway. In other countries not so clearly visible because hidden between other meaningless OS. So where do all the millions of sold phones go? I can understand that they give up.

10. Hypnopottamus says:

I only use a twitter(or Facebook)app on very rare occasions. Otherwise, I find the native integration in the People and Me Hubs do almost everything I need.

11. Mahesh says:

that’s all because of stupid twitter API rules

12. Pierre says:

I observe Lumia and Marketplace from some time. Sadly I admit that the software offer there is for me pretty poor, as mentioned only side-projects which makes artificial crowds, and I agree with those developers they will not have bread and butter from this. But from the other hand seems that MS has policy to hold all main software: they have own Twitter client, Facebook, bought Skype – so they will become over-developer delivering all soft which generate any incomes, and for all the rest of developers will remain meaningless (incomeless) software pieces. This will be a semimonopoly situation where however there are no entering barriers, but overall background make the enter not worth any efforts – I would call this situation a kind of dead zone market. However interesting business perspective for Microsoft first of all and mostly.