Nokia is aware of “cog wheel” issue plaguing Lumia 920, PR 1.1 supposed fix? Some updated users still suffer

| January 4, 2013 | 51 Replies
Courtesy of Jamie Haggett

Courtesy of Jamie Haggett

Not too sure if the Lumia 920 “cog wheel” issue has ever been posted here, most likely as I don’t think Ali or Jay have encountered it, and since I have the Lumia 820.  If you are not aware, the “cog wheel” issue is caused by the Lumia 920 freezing, and needing to be “unfrozen” by using the hardware keys to perform a battery pull (like the 8sec power hold on Symbian apparently), anyway, it is this that makes your Microsoft Account (and linked social networks) stuff up.
To fix it, you need to do a reset. It is this reset that causes the screen to display the image you see at the beginning of the post, and not respond to anything. Most people took their devices to Nokia Care points to be fixed, however the more courageous simply used Nokia Care Suite’s Software Update Tool to reflash the device on their own. It seemed to fix it, with the vast majority of users reporting it happening again.
Since this has been a relatively widespread issue, I figured it was about time we reached out to Nokia about it. Below is their official comment on the situation.
You might have already seen that we have started to deliver a software update to the Nokia Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 just before Christmas. You can read the full story in the Nokia Conversations. I’m happy to let you know that the issue of the phone occasionally freezing up will be fixed with the software update. The delivery of the update has started for the AT&T and Rogers customers and it will be made available to other countries and consumers during February.
So it seems that the PR 1.1 (Portico) update is supposed to fix it. That’s great! Well, it would be if it weren’t that there are still some users who have the update and still having issues. Admittedly, it seems the number of affected handsets has dramatically decreased, but why have all devices not been “cured”?
Have you gotten the update and still suffering? Please get in touch
EDIT: Just wanted to add some extra info, based on what I saw in the comments (easier than manually replying to all). Yes, the Lumia 920 has an issue, most likely caused by Nokia modifications/add-ons, as the issue isn’t present on HTC 8x/8s or even the Lumia 820. In saying that, the Lumia 820 and 8X have had their own issues. With users of both reporting spontaneous reboots. I haven’t heard anything with the 8S yet, but who knows what issues that has. Either way, my point is, it isn’t Nokia’s fault, nor is it MS’ fault, solely. They each have their own share of the blame. No point in choosing who to blame, as it won’t solve anything. WE JUST WANT DEVICES FIXED!

Category: Nokia

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. steelicon says:

“…and needing to be ‘unforzen’ by using the hardware keys…”

unfrozen? unforeseen?

2. Siko says:

I’m on Rogers and received this update. It didn’t fix the issue I was having. Every 2nd day or so, my phone would go into a deep sleep and the screen would not turn on, but the phone is still on. I have to reset it (volume down + power button) and it reboots like normal. Very annoying as I don’t know if I’m missing calls or emails as my phone won’t ring/vibe when its like that.

3. Ajit says:

Having a nice time with the Burnt Platform?(Windows Phone)

4. Elopasskicker says:

Loooool poor Windows Phone users

5. rustyknight17 says:

Yet another issue with the 920 and the update failed to fix a widespread problem ?!? Definitely not good !
    I realise WP ‘s not mature yet ( another year proably ) , but Nokia simply doesn’t have the luxury of such mistakes. Given these serious issues and that the fact that the 920′s is barely ahead of several rivals , possibly inferior to several more ( the high end Xperias and the Droid RAZR MAXX series ) and certainly inferior to the 808 , N8 and N9 , I strongly suspect that at least part of WP8′s success is , with the exceptions mentioned above , a lack of credible challengers . That ‘s not going to continue for much longer ; RIM’s BB10 , for instance , is coming out in a few weeks and it’s shaping up as a dangeroud opponent ..

• Bloob says:

The update didn’t fail to fix it, it failed to fix it for everyone, likely because it is a different bug with a similar end-result.

While it is unacceptable how bad shape WP8 comes in, while most likely better, I doubt BB10 will be bugfree (nothing ever is) either. I wish both BB10 and WP ( and Sailfish, and Ubuntu ) all the best, I don’t want Google – Apple -duopoly, or worse, Google monopoly.

• rustyknight17 says:

In all fairness to WP , it`s still immature , takes 3 years to work enough bugs out and enough features in , to make a new OS reliable .
        Nothing is bug free but it looks like RIM , unlike MS , is taking the time to do it right . That`s` good !

• Noki says:

+1 fully agree

• Bob says:

Haven’t had a single issue on my 920, nor anyone l know. These can be isolated incidents.

p.s. not a WP issue as particular to 920 (i.e HTC etc no issues).

• Bloob says:

There were multiple reports of 8Xs crashing on WPCentral though. I don’t know if it had the same circumstances, also I think HTC already rolled out the update.

6. Jiipee says:

I dont know how widespread this is. Still, I have to admit that it looks very mature taking into account it was just released.

7. Weirdfisher says:

Loser

8. MooCoo says:

Nokia is fixing things so no worries. And it’s not users fault with these phones, is it?

9. JGrove303 says:

I’ve only had my 920 stick a couple times. But a quick reboot and its going again. No big deal. It doesn’t crash nearly as much (by a long shot as my fiancé’s iPhone 4s, her iPad, her iPod, my N8-00, or any of the Android devices I’ve used. The laptop and desktop blow it more often than my 920 does.

Considering the age of WP8, it’s quite solid.

10. leo says:

My 920 freezes all the time.
    i did the update with nokia care but still…screen will not respond.
    it really sucks.
    sometimes, when I have to make a call the phone is block, have to reebot and time and date are back to september/2012
    come on!!

11. Since I updated my 920 to PR1.1 I have had zero issues with freezing, or anything else for that matter, but as Michael knows, I had a couple of issues prior, so for me at least it seems to have resolved the problem, so far !

• Michael Faro-Tusino says:

Yeah, I am glad you’re all good now SQ! My 820 seems to have been cured by the 1.1 update too

• DesR85 says:

Thanks for the info. Might as well wait for the 1.1 update before considering the 920, since I’m from Malaysia, and the former is not released yet.

• arts says:

+1. im more keen on what new magical phone nokia produce on feb thou. =x maybe the 808 successor?

• DesR85 says:

An aluminium 808 running WP8 (read a rumour that they’re working on an aluminium body for future Lumia devices)? I have no idea what that’ll look like, but would be interesting to see if that is confirmed.

But given that Nokia confirmed a new device specifically for Verizon, I’m not sure if that device will be widely available worldwide as the 810 (T-Mobile) and 822 (Verizon) are not.

12. leo says:

my lumia 920 died today.
    the screen freezed since 8am and im still waiting (6pm)
    i did the hard reset combination: nothing.

the physical buttons work but the screen and the capacitive are “block”

(btw, i can take pictures! ¬¬)

bye bye nokia.

13. wafa says:

hello well i ve got a big issue with my NOKIA LUMIA 610 my phone is doing a regular reset every 24 hours so i lose all my photos and videos and even phone numbers i really don’t know what to do to fix it plz can u help

14. shahid khan says:

Fix to spinning gears Nokia Lumia
    Watch solution at followilng youtube video :

15. puja says:

Fix to spinning gears Nokia Lumia
    Watch Solution at following youtube video:

16. I’ve learn a few good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting.

I wonder how so much effort you put to create the sort
    of great informative site.

Also visit my homepage; luxury watches rolex

17. Also, read bout how to usee blending modes inn Paint. Acquire Microsoft Points Generator
    right noww and purchase anything you want from xbox 360 retail store.
    Points2shop is designed around a points system
    here by you earn points simply by doing Freee Offers.

18. Why Target places himself in such dicey situations is anyone’s guess, but he seems genuinely oblivious to the danger.
    None of these constitute cheats or hacks, so you won’t upset any of
    youyr fellow gamers. Consequently, muultiplayer annd single-player gaming experiences
    are nearly identical with the primary ifference being that single-player lacks a fuunctional ally.

Have a look att mmy weblog: battlefield 4 hack (http://gamecheatshacks.com/space.php?uid=&do=blog&id=)