Slim, Svelte, Light, Aluminium Nokia Lumia 920 successor in the works. Codename: Catwalk

| January 3, 2013 | 72 Replies

Tall, slim, light, beautiful and elegant. Things you may associate with a Catwalk and something hopefully we’ll see in the high end Nokia Lumias this year.

Whilst people are loving the innovation, the one main criticism seems to be thickness and weight. Well, no more if rumours are to be believed. Nokia may move partially from the Polycarbonate body back to aluminium.

Not only is it slim, but it’s meant to be the 920′s successor. So that puts away some thoughts that it’s just slim for the sake of it. There should be some nice innovations there too.

I love polycarbonate. I’ve found it to be much more durable than the aluminium on my N8. Reception is also better through a premium plastic body. But the cool, cold touch may please many.

Source: TheVerge

Cheers Muerte for the tip!

Category: Lumia, Nokia

1. Toni says:

– I just think that if Nokia (and other manufacturers, of course) will outdo Apple on this front, the metrics for “luxury” will once again change to better suit its very definition, i.e. iPhone. Maybe Nokia shouldn’t be chasing a golden goose that is luxury as it is not defined by the features but by the mind-share. And what better way to gain good mind-share than to produce good phones.

Thus, if there have to be sacrifices in order to achieve a thinner phone, I am not entirely sure whether Nokia currently is in a position to make those. On the other hand, maybe risks are really what Nokia needs to take and only through them they can actually gain a market share. By putting together a phone that has internals matching those of upcoming Samsung flagship and the “metal luxury finish” of the iPhone there could no longer be a pundit arguing that there is something missing from Nokia product.

2. omar says:

is this image true

3. AJE says:

Since so many of us want so many different things from our mobile phone, NOKIA will either have to select its battles or build up a large portfolio in order to be all things to all people.

As NOKIA has already demonstrated with the N8 (and where Apple failed with the iPhone5), aluminium can be very durable and scratch/chip resistant. But, because of the reduced reception, some plastic would also be required. I think that only the black N8 aesthetically got away with the two materials as the other colours never came close to matching. Perhaps the approach shown in the photo above is the best compromise – contrasting colours. That said, I find the N8 very slippery and easy to drop without the case, which is not as slim or snugly fitting as the one for the Lumia 800.

As for the hump, it’s not pretty and does bulk up the phone; but, because the quality of the camera was crucial for, I was willing to put up with it.

However, polycarbonate can look great and even professional. With the exception of the tacky metalic frame for the camera module, the matt black Lumia 800 is as attractive and professional-looking as any phone on the market, including the iPhone. It is a thing of beauty. And reception is much better than my N8 in poor-reception areas.

Personally, from my mobile phone I would like a top quality camera (more akin to v1 than v2 of Pureview), a SatNav that is as useful and useable as on my N8 with full maps intergration (SatNav on Lumia 800 is rubbish) and more of the inovations that make daily use of the mobile that much more easy and pleasant – such as Clear Black Display, super-sensitive screen, etc.

4. rstyknight17 says:

Muerte , according to the Verge , Nokia`s actually working on this . Could this be one of the 10 series Luias finally ?

• Muerte says:

Yes, I know, I tipped this :)

But omar asked if this phone in the article’s picture is real, and the answer is no, it is not, as it is a fan concept.

5. Caesar says:

Don’t tell me that will be true by the end of the year, I was planning to buy a 920 when it will be available here in Belgium

6. Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m ѕure
    they’ll be benefited from this site.