Windows 8 reaches over 60 Million licences sold

| January 8, 2013 | 70 Replies

windows_8_tablet(1)

TheVerge reports that Microsoft has sold over 60 million licences of Windows 8. Not an exact reflection of users as this is the numbers sold as upgrades and OEM licences. But still apparently on the same track as W7. Whilst PC was very strong with cheap netbooks all the rage, new PC’s are fighting tablets and less of the urge to upgrade after only just moving or buying a W7 computer. On the upside, for those with recent enough purchases on W7, there is a discounted W8 upgrade which has enticed quite a lot it seems to make the early move to tiles.

I’m not too fussed on W8 myself at the moment (not much use without touch, I think but then again I’ve not really used it) but it’s success is definitely critical to assisting adoption of tiles/Metro UI, the soul of WP/WP7.5/WP8 in Nokia Lumia.

Should Nokia ever bring out the much rumoured tablet in Windows flavour, it would be good to have a receptive audience to try their bigger screened innovations.

Source: TheVerge

Category: Nokia

1. n9 says:

welcome to mymicrosoftblog

• hellohelloigor says:

get over it

• Mark says:

So leave. Why hang around and be miserable?

Unless that makes you happy? :)

• shallow ocean shoal says:

Yeah exactly, you tell ‘em!

We should be talking about Ovi Services here.

• Jiipee says:

There should be a lot more Microsoft related postings in the future here. The integration between different MS consumer related technologies is still quitr weak. If/when MS gets act together there will be more to post eg about xbox, MS store, MS mobile wallet, media services etc. Then there will be some info on small Nokia exclusivities. There should be more info on the different MS events (tech, financial) here too. Im missing a lot of information, where the MS ecosystem is heading, since it woulf tell a lot, what could be expected from Nokia (I doubt others than MS will get a change to introduce mobile xbox gaming devices though)

I doubt many here are interested, if NSN gets a big deal or makes tech breakthrough, or there are small changes to Here UI or if they have a deal with Fiat on having mapping data on their cars. AR devices could be interesting from Nokia as well as S40 if it keeps improving towards actual smart devices.

2. keist says:

what’s its significance to nokia? are they making laptops now?

3. Mark says:

I use W8. It’s Ok but there is absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade from W7 on a non-touch enabled device.

• Bloob says:

This is my experience also. There are some minor improvements from W7, but nothing really that warrants an upgrade ( especially with some of the driver issues, etc. ), unless you are a geek like me :D.

• Janne says:

This is not my experience though. I had Windows 7 on my home computer and after a month using Windows 8 at work I found myself missing all that stuff at home. Now I’m sporting Windows 8 at home as well and much happier for it. I like the flat desktop look. Computer is more fluid now too.

I have no desire for a touch laptop at the moment yet Windows 8 is a real improvement over Windows 7. Also, main gestures work great on my non-multitouch trackpad, but I mostly just use the mouse interface which is very fluid once you get used to the new paradigm.

I have tried a Windows RT tablet and agree that the touch gestures are really nice on a tablet, but I think the mouse/trackpad experience is excellent too.

• sunnyvale says:

I do agree if we only count the graphical part of the OS. However, let’s not forget w8 carries a more mature Windows kernel and better underlying security enhancements. Example the anti malware start up mechanism, which combines with the advantages of uefi BIOS to allow malware scanning in the bootup stage. That’s just one of the many enhancements.

Honestly i just upgraded solely for that reason

4. Mike says:

What has this got to do with Nokia?

• twig says:

Nokia windows8 phones, possible tablets, Phones and tablets working with phone, tablet, laptop, computer and Xbox and car…..and homes. All part of the ecosystem.

5. twig says:

Wow, there’s a lot of U.S, media that’s going to choke on the news. I see Microsoft is going to make 2 minute Windows 8 Phone commercials for pre movie releases. Next James Bond could have a Nokia ad before it. Also Microsoft bought their own studio for content for the Xbox. Reality shows, dramas, etc.

• dss says:

Microsoft are going to put everything into this… and having Nokia as a their assistant is awesome for them.. I feel pretty confident about their strategy, which wouldn’t be the case if Nokia wasn’t there.

Too bad I can’t say the same about the Finish company..

6. Ere oli aliarvostettu says:

Yes, Nokia has always been “very good” at evaluating operating systems.

In this interview from late 2009, Mary McDowell says that Android is not as tough competitor as iOS is.

At the time of the interview Symbian was already declining. In just a few months Symbian started to collapse.

Just a little over a year after that manufacturers were selling more Android than Symbian phones and.

This is how competent managers Nokia had at the time. Please don’t blame Elop when the real mistakes were made by the old management.

7. UNC says:

I work in IT @ a university & we have licenses for EVERYONE so I d/l Win8 on an old laptop this weekend & been tinkering. It’s different but not hard to get the hang of.

8. arts says:

So.. Blogging about jolla is ok, but not about w8. Ok.

• KeiZka says:

My exact thoughts. Hypocrisy, gotta love it.

• Fadi says:

At least Jolla has something to do with mobile phones (as it is okay to talk about new competitors in the same business area), not to mention that SailfishOS is basically the offspring of MeeGo (so that’s also interesting to read about what’s going to happen there).. This article has nothing to do with Nokia in a sense that it has nothing to do with their current business model..

9. Quantom says:

Funny, I thought it was the other way around. There was something on tomshardware that said that W8 is currently being used less than Vista when comparing its usage since the release date.

10. stylinred says:

those are good numbers… im surprised since the media was making it out to seem like msft wasn’t selling windows8 at all

as for most being upgrades etc its expected when there was the loophole (that remains) for new users to buy a full version of windows 8 for only $15

• dss says:

well… see here is the thing. As soon as Microsoft’s advertising business picks up (it doesn’t have to be on google’s scale) they can practically make Windows “free”.. the same way android is “free” or at least they can bring the cost down so low that it won’t matter.. like 10-20 bucks per copy.

As far as the OEMs.. they can lower their prices as well.. if they can make enough money from bing that is.

11. NokiaFan says:

J, you’re one hell of a blogger but sometimes, like everybody else, you suck too!

1). How many people are actually using Windows 8?
    …So how many copies of Windows 8 are on family room desks, and how many are collecting dust on a Best Buy back shelf?

2). How much of that is from Microsoft Stores?
    …So how many of those license sales are directly attributable to Microsoft’s 65 North American shopping locales?

3). How will it sell when the price goes up?
    …both because Apple OS upgrades have gotten so cheap and because it helps ensure strong sales figures out of the gate. But what happens when the price goes back up?

4). What are people upgrading from?
    …So who’s upgrading, who’s converting, and what does that mean for Windows 8′s long-term chances?

5). What kind of hardware is selling?

Read it all here:

• shallow ocean shoal says:

How will something sell if the price goes up? More or less?

How many will sell from a handful of specialty stores vs how many from a bunch of international chains?

Are people finally upgrading their Commodore PET? The average life of a PC is now 3.8234 years.

Is special sauce really just ketchup and mayonnaise?

Why do they say the phrase “fighting fire with fire?” That seems like it would just create a whole lot of fire.

Important questions for your readers.

12. dss says:

I am liking Windows 8 a lot… Microsoft did a really good job.

13. Peter L says:

I upgraded to W8 just for the Live Tiles. Finally something far more useful than grid of icons for my desktop.

• dss says:

Best of both worlds. Metro (or whatever its called now) is the media consumption side, touch oriented.. works very well.. the desktop remains untouched for some serious productivity.

Its the only way to merge the two.. there is no way to have one single UI and satisfy both worlds in an efficient way.

• Janne says:

True.

I don’t use the “Metro” side much, beyond starting and searching for stuff (the search is blazingly fast to use) but I still love it when it pops up after boot or log-in or when doing the things above. It feels so much more inviting than being dumped straight on the desktop or navigating some small text menu.

I don’t think it hinders the experience at all. It is a new an improved Start Menu for me when it comes to using desktop apps. So fast to get to, so fast to use and beautiful too.

That said, I expect the “Metro” way gaining more prominence as applications I use start making use of that side, and that’s cool too. I am already very used to switching between full-screen apps, my trackpad supports the swipe from left gesture too, which is nice – although most of the time I just click the relevant corner and get where I want fast.

I think the ability to do stuff by reaching for the corners is really intuitive once you get the hang of it. Moving the mouse or trackpad to a corner is so much easier than targeting a button. You just “throw your hand” towards the corner and that’s it, no fine pointing or anything, jut results.

• dss says:

Reading the news, weather.. calendar, mail, the people hub..i also use the travel app.. reddit to go is also very good, BofA, the big picture, espn FC, the “metro” side has a lot to offer actually.. I use quite a bit.

I wish I had a touch screen.. that would make me use the “tablet mode” (metro) way more.

But he most important part for me, by far, is the fact that my old system feels faster overall compared to 7. Faster boot, faster file transfers… its just smooth operation, I also get better battery life..

All and all its the best OS I’ve had the chance to use, and I’ve gone trough mac OSX, couple of Linux distros, XP, 7… never dealt with Vista, which is a good thing I guess.

• Jiipee says:

I wish the windows UI will fly for Nokia’s sake. It could help with WP adoption.

I might skip this round, keep using W7 until Office and some professional tools are available on other platforms and/or there is soon new non-touch gesture devices coming.

I havent dig deeper to the ubuntu story and reality, but I like how they present their story. I dont think it will take long that I could live with just one mobile device that replaces phone+non-work laptop, tablet, tv, car stereo, stereo, home cinema etc equipments. One device, several UIs on top for different screens. Microsoft will be strong here Apple will implement it lot faster, Android will be a mess, but could provide the basis for hw adaptation that those players, who are not part of certain locked down ecosystem could use as the basis for standardization. If the above is the future, Nokia will have trouble to position themselves or find lucrative niches where to operate. As an oem with foothold in only one or two MS ecosystem product categories, there is a long way to go.

• arts says:

I would love to see ubuntu’s vision of one device mutli screens/function take off. I alway dreamed of something like that.

• migo says:

I’d say it’s less touch oriented than small screen oriented. I really liked Metro on my laptop, but I just bought a new desktop with a 24″ 1080P screen, and it’s a bit more of a pain to use that way.

I think if a touch interface isn’t detected, they should move the charms closer to one of the corners.

14. Sam says:

In other news on other website, i don’t know who to believe now
    Now start bashing how this site owner holds stocks in apple.

• Noki says:

They are, each one of them, true, 60 Million of sold licences is not the same as sold computers many of the OEM’S by them in bulk numbers, and Microsoft offered the cheapest ever upgrade program for windows 8…

On the other end, retail sales have been remarkably low and a lot of the OEM’s are complaining about Microsoft W8 being a turd in the expected PC sales boost. Microsoft says its the OEM’s not shipping exiting enough hardware.

Sales wise W8 represents a low point from Microsoft retail point sales, selling worse than windows vista.

• migo says:

That’s an issue due to the different market now compared to when Windows 7 launched. Tablets weren’t really a thing back then, and while Netbooks had driven regular laptops down to $500 for a 15″, making buying a new system particularly attractive, now we’ve got tablets selling in the $500 range, as well as down in the $200 range. People are starting to question if they really need a PC when a tablet does most of what they need (or sometimes everything they need).

Certainly Windows 8 isn’t doing anything to reverse that, since part of the appeal of tablets is their price, and you can’t get a great Windows 8 laptop for the same price as a tablet.

15. dss says:

The problem with Vista was drivers… 8 has no such issues.

What people are misinterpreting is the fact that the whole PC market is shrinking, which has nothing to do with 8. If anything, 8 is probably helping to slow that down.. it makes all those new form factors possible, like the Dell XPS12, hp envy x2, asus taichi, Lenovo yoga.. asus transformer book, surface..

Its brining convergence in the PC market.. I don’t even know what to call a tablet and what to call a notbook.. the new stuff is basically both.

And .. considering what Intel are brining with Haswell (10w TDP) we are going to see some really cool stuff..

Check this reference design for example: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/intel-north-cape-haswell-reference-design-eyes-on/

Its awesome..

• Fadi says:

I stopped reading after tge first sentence. Windows 8 does have issues with drivers.. Especially with Laptops and older PCs.. At least in Windows 7 you could install drivers from previous Windows versions..

16. anon2 says:

Windows 8 is a very good OS. Much better than linux, apple OS or android jellybean for tablets.

17. utopium says:

If you have a touch device, Win 8 makes a lot of sense. I think the best hardware for Windows 8 is a hybrid tablet/ultrabook. It still needs some service packs, but I like my Win 8 hybrid tablet so far. Of course, things will get better when the new quad-core Atom will be ready, later this year. The current Atom supports only 2GB of RAM, and Intel i5 tablets are on the heavy/thick side.

• migo says:

actually, it makes a lot of sense on a desktop without touch as well, you just don’t use metro much. it boots faster, has extra utilities that are very handy, uses less ram. if windows 8 were purely the desktop upgrade with no metro at all, it’d still be a very good buy.

18. akse says:

Same track as W7?

Why do I keep reading that its doing worse than Vista

Many net traffic statcounter sites report that there are less actually sold W8 licenses than Vista had in the same time period :)

• Viipottaja says:

Perhaps the difference is in the number of licenses sold to OEMs and number of actual W8 sold to end consumers? The latter is likely sluggish given overall slump in PC sales (due to tablets being all the rage) as well as not enough and not enough affordable W8 touch screen devices in the market. And perhaps also lack of attractiveness of W8 to some customers (again, in particular for those buying a non-touch device).

• Sam says:

You mean because of that msft is doing all this, PC market is going down, let’s start making phones and tablets.
        Windows phone, win rt, win 8, pro and what not.