Lumia Tip: Instantly Install Apps/Games on Your Lumia Wirelessly Via PC

| January 18, 2013 | 28 Replies

Screenshot (67)Here’s a cool feature I just discovered on my 920 (it’s possibly available for WP7.X devices as well); using WindowsPhone.com while signed in allows you to remotely install apps on your Windows Phone device without even unlocking the phone.  This feature is great for the lazy ones of us (likes your truly) or when you discover a new app online and want to install it on your phone (it saves you the step of scanning/generating a QR code).

All you need to do is sign in at Windowsphone.com then head over to the Apps+Games section; from there you can browse all the apps in the marketplace and remotely install them onto your phone by hitting the big black install button

Then it will either install automatically or if the app requires special permissions it will ask for a confirmation first before carrying on.

After that it’ll take a few second to “contact phone” (all without you lifting a finger) and then the app will magically begin to install on your phone.

The coolest part about this is that it doesn’t require you to have the phone connected to your PC or even in the same room; pretty awesome if you ask me. So what are you waiting for? Get downloading (without getting up).

Tags:

Category: Applications, Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. aboodesta says:

I love windows phone. I have 2 wireless charging plates within 3 metres of each other in my room, and now this :p Level level 99

2. Vladimir says:

for some reason that method often doesn’t work. every other time I receive an email that app wasn’t installed.

• Keith too says:

That happens to me too. I think it worked a lot better when we could browse and buy apps within Zune. I find I’m buying a lot less now because it is so cumbersome to buy an app just by browsing like we could in Zune. Buying through the marketplace doesn’t work for many us and half the time those email links don’t work either when they do fail. They should go back to Zune until they fix it.

• Rem says:

I’m never had a problem and actually love downloading from windowsphone.com. The only time it doesn’t work for me is when the battery saver is on, but that’s to be expected.

• MadridKing says:

It works just fine. You can install an app to you phone from any computer in the world through a browser, as long as there is data connection. how is that not good?

• nabkawe says:

Go to Find My phone in Settings and allow Push apps option … ( Seems Ali didn’t notice this.)

3. spacemodel says:

I assume this only works with free apps?

• Myggen says:

Works with already bought apps also, like if you have to reinstall you can do it from web :)

• spacemodel says:

Oke, so it’s working just like Drop on S^3, thanks for the answer.

• Just Visiting says:

Yes, it’s similar. But thankfully, you don’t need to launch an app/conduit (i.e. Drop) in order for the app to be sent to and install on your Lumia.

Thanks Ali for this tip! I just tried it with an app called Accurate Tuner-worked very quickly and installed immediately. Lumia 900.

• Henning says:

No. It works with paid apps too – you have to log in with your Microsoft Account (and hence your billing details) for this to work in the first place.

4. Jigar says:

Its a old feature
    Just 2 c find my feature is checked on
    I have been doin this for past 6 months and from there now
    Its awesome just click on install nd done

5. MadridKing says:

This shows Ali is really new to Windows Phone since this feature has been here since Mango update and it works perfectly for all apps.

• Just Visiting says:

I’ve had my phone for about two months, and didn’t know about it, primarily since I never use the windowsphone.com site, until today. Also, I was reading on a forum, just this week, and someone asked if this could be done – if you could install apps without being connected via wire – the responses to that persons question was ‘no’.

I’m going to go back and try to find that thread to see if someone gave them the correct answer.

6. EthanVijay says:

Hi dude, Let me know the next updates from symbian belle .

7. kiprotich says:

IS THIS NEW??? I thought this can be done with a 5 year old symbian phone via nokia suite!!! :))

8. DC says:

This is not just for Nokia or Lumia Windows Phones. I have been doing this since Mango came out.

9. Confusedguy says:

hey what abt data charges that we may incur for receiving the app through pc.. isnt it better to download apps on your phone itself.. why bother for the pc stuff then ???

10. Janice says:

I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and
    exposure! Keep up the good works guys I’ve added you
    guys to my blogroll.

11. In addition, he can smell and touch the virtual objects within The World, as well as feel pain.
    Later, Sony also sued American sellers of PS
    Jailbreak. You drop back a little bit more than usual and scan the potential receivers
    as the sting of recent events still echo in your
    head.

12. While Black – Berry Storm 2 GPS hack information
    is helpful, you may want to do more changes to your phone.
    The notification option, should you enable it, will inform you by phone or
    by E-mail (A backup Email address you have) in case your security password has
    been changed, or a suspicious logon has been attempted.
    ‘ Browse their online catalog for the syllabus for each offering and you guessed
    it’if you want pricing, be prepared to offer up some information about yourself via an entry form.

13. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be
    book-marking it and checking back often!

Feel free to surf to my web blog; jurassic park builder Hack

14. Hi there colleagues, how is everything, and what you wish
    for to say about this piece of writing, in my view
    its truly remarkable in favor of me.

15. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that
    you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more
    formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you
    shield this hike.

16. No matter if some one searches for his required thing, thus he/she wishes to be available that
    in detail, thus that thing is maintained
    over here.

17. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to
    be exactly what I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
    I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on a number of the
    subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!