S40 browser making big gains in Finland?

| February 18, 2013 | 11 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 22.43.24

Quick heads up. Janne has noticed that S40 has been making strange gains, all appearing to be at the cost of the other OSes; Windows Phone, Android and iOS.

I had always wondered why S40 browser wasn’t as high as it was in Finland. Perhaps now it’s being counted properly or there may be an error.

What is going on with StatCounter in Finland, I wonder. Series 40 has been making unrealistic gains in the recent days. I wonder if Xpress Browser proxy servers are located in Finland and StatCounter recently started counting proxied requests as originating from Finland…?

Series 40 attributed to 20.34% of mobile traffic in Finland yesterday, according to the “data”. Everyone else dropped respectively, with iOS dropping the most… Unless Asha became an overnight hit, something is way off here. :)

- Janne

Cheers Janne for the tip!

Category: Nokia

1. Jerry Warootch says:

Former Symbian users has bought new mobiles. Obvious.

2. AdiS says:

” I wonder if Xpress Browser proxy servers are located in Finland”
    Yes, they are.

• Marc Aurel says:

Only in Finland? One might think that geographically distributed servers would make more sense, especially since most Series 40 devices are not sold in Europe (let’s not forget that all current and many past S40 phones can run the Xpress Browser, not just Asha branded phones). Then again, Finland has pretty good internet bandwith to most parts of the world and due to compressing the bandwith requirements from the server to client device are not great.

On a related question: does anybody know if Opera’s servers are still located in Norway exclusively?

3. KT says:

S40 is the underdog. If nokia engineers make multitasking possible on it then it will be very good. Asha series is has been the true success story so far for nokia in the last few year.

4. twig says:

I’m saving 91% on data using Xpress,??????,over Bing or google. Nokia rules!!!Nice update on Xpress last time made it even faster.

5. Marc Aurel says:

Did some digging at StatCounter and Worldwide statistic show a similar jump for iOS in roughly the same timeframe, whereas all other Mobile OS’s expect Android seem to take a hit:

So perhaps there have been other changes in StatCounter’s data gathering and analysis algorithms?

6. Janne says:

The anomaly seems to have been fixed/removed now.