Major Update for WP Whatsapp; Brings Chat Backups, Brodacasts, Wide Live tile and Lockscreen Notifications and Much More

| February 21, 2013 | 40 Replies

SavedPicture-2013221185235

Whatsapp for WP8 (possibly Wp7 too?- I’ve loaded my 900 to a friend so no way of checking Thanks to our readers we cna confirm this update is available for WP7 as well; but some features such as lockscreen notifications probably won’t be available); has just received a pretty nifty update. The new version 2.9.2 brings some long awaited features that have been available on other OSes from quite some time. Mainly the ability to broadcast chat messages, Backup chat history and “enter to send” option as well as the long awaited lock screen notifications. The live tile also now supports the Double wide view that takes the full width of the screen; and the icon changes to match your phone’s theme color.

I’ve also noticed a new sharing feature which uses a much nicer Metro UI to get you your options; plus you can send Screenshots now!

wp_ss_20130221_0007

After updating the app claimed to be “Optimizing chat storage” which should hopefully fix the long wait times for resuming/booting the app.

Grab the App from here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/whatsapp/218a0ebb-1585-4c7e-a9ec-054cf4569a79

QRCode

Thanks for the tip AKA_P

SavedPicture-2013221185240
wp_ss_20130221_0002 wp_ss_20130221_0003 wp_ss_20130221_0004

wp_ss_20130221_0001

Category: Applications, Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

Sites That Link to this Post

1. WhatsApp for Nokia Lumia smartphones updated new features | SymbianTweet | February 21, 2013
  1. arts says:

its for wp7 too.

• arts says:

I certainly hope that on wp8 it boots faster; cause on my wp7 i sure dont feel the difference.

• Harangue says:

On WP8 (920) it starts near instant. A little faster than before, but on WP8 it was always practically instantly.

• arts says:

Even on the lumia 620?

• V says:

How instant is instant though?

I mean, for me it takes about 2-3 seconds from finger lift off to actual display n usability. (920 as well)

In that time, it does the side flip animation to present the green pattern whatsapp wallpaper, then goes blank for a moment n then displays all the current chats.

In Symbian, instant was literally instant (since it was always running behind the scenes and just presented the UI to you on launch)

Also does anyone know if you can send chat history via email properly now? WP truncates the message to the last 600-700 or so messages (which sound like a lot, but could easily be just 1 days worth of chat log for a person)

• arts says:

more info is also being displayed per screen. More stuff to see now.

2. agusdeviurrio says:

for lumia 710 wp7.8 to :)

3. Amit says:

This is exactly what i want.

4. Harangue says:

Good update and worthy of the word update as well. Menus work better and are arranged in a more sensible way. It feels more unified with WP8 now instead of some janky app made by a subpar developer.

5. Mark says:

WhatsApp should really be more responsible. That’s one less thing for the haters to hate now!

What will they do with their lives!? Think of the children! :)

6. TK says:

You can also send your screenshots now

7. Praneeth says:

I wish it would add wifi connectivity like in IM+ for the next update really needed that on my 920 !

8. AMMAR says:

WHY WE CANT SAVE THE VIDEOS FROM OUR WHATSAPP !!!!!!!

9. pls says:

On WP7.8 we don’t get large tile size, nor any settings for lockscreen notifications. A bit of UI changes, but nothing major, really.

10. Dor says:

and still..cant send music! thay are just shamless, nothing less!

11. rishabh says:

We can now long press a contact and select to block it rather going to settings and selecting from there

12. Johnny says:

Still needs integration of Nokia Maps or Nokia Drive when someone share their location in Whatsapp..

13. Carl says:

Is this available in India yet? Please say yes!

14. Sam says:

This new version is very good because of lockscreen notifications but this new version is crashing quite often on portico, especially with contacts that you have a long chat history with.

15. V says:

Can you email FULL chat history now as opposed to limited number of messages (that get truncated by WP?)

16. eh says:

this is the biggest reason y i am no getting a window’s phone… will wait till the new lumia phones come out and if whatsapp is not fixed by then (ie. saving audio n video, and the messages appear as soon as it is received) i will not get it..
    Also hoping for pebble integration and sygic to bring out it’s software.. nokia drive is awesome but sygic still has better maps for india..

17. David says:

If i use whatsApp and close it, when i touch the volume button the same comes up, as if i was listentint to music or better yet, if I was streaming music. Not the slim but the big grey something comes down and i have back, play, and forward buttons, and under it theres a sign which indicates that i’m streaming “music” ftom the internet. if i touc it, whatsApp opens, like it would with media player od sound cloud. anybody else has the same? please reply

18. Liviu says:

With the update I experience big performance pb on 920 Portico. If I press the tile sometimes is takes 2-3-4 seconds to display, somethimes gets stuck. Hope they fix this soon …

19. nikisha says:

I m having a problem in loading earlier msg of whatsapp in lumia 520. Pls help me n email me

20. fanntastic publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite
    specialists of this sector do not notice this. You must
    continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’
    base already!

My website: adult online dates