HERE Drive & HERE Drive+ Differences Explained (Updated 3/12)

| March 11, 2013 | 86 Replies

HERE-portfolio

There was a lot of confusion regarding the type of navigation experience included in the Lumia 720 and 520 from our last post; so we reached out to the Nokia HERE maps guru, Pino requesting a bit of clarification. So here are the gritty details about the two and what it all means.

Hi Ali, as promised I have some answers for you.
So, first of all the only difference between HERE Drive and HERE Drive+ is the regional or global license. HERE Drive+ is providing voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation in almost 100 countries, while HERE Drive only in one country or region.
Let me give you few examples: US is a stand-alone country in this model, Canada too, but UK is in the same region as Ireland; Spain, Portugal and Andorra are one region; Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Lichtenstein another region and so on. In the specific case of Jordan, you would get the driving license only for your country.
The license selection is done automatically the first time you launch HERE Drive and it’s based on the SIM card in the smartphone. Without SIM card, HERE Drive won’t start. Let’s say you buy a Nokia Lumia 520 in Spain and put a Jordan SIM card in it, you will get the HERE Drive license for Jordan.
Some more remarks:
  • Although the car navigation license is for a specific country/region in HERE Drive, you can still download maps for the whole world to use e.g. in HERE Maps or 3rd party apps, you can still have walk navigation everywhere in HERE Maps, etc.

• When HERE Drive/HERE Drive+ will get out of beta, it will be possible to upgrade from HERE Drive to HERE Drive+

• As an overview, HERE Drive (with country/regional license) is available for Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 720 and non-Nokia WP8 smartphones

The major point here being that the location you purchase the actual phone in isn’t an issue (relax online shoppers); as the region is set by the SIM card in the phone. Hopefully this made it a bit clearer to some of our readers.

Update (3/12):

A lot of our readers still had some more questions, so Pino was kind enough to comment down below regarding the whole upgrading from Drive to Drive+ situation, which should be a very minimal fee:

Pino says:

Hi everyone,
I see a lot of follow-up questions and I’m more than happy to answer to all them too.
- We didn’t announce any further detail on how to upgrade from HERE Drive to HERE Drive+, please bear it with us, you will get all details soon, including the price.
- We believe that HERE Drive, with its global reach (around 100 countries) and robust true offline capabilities (to know more, read http://nokia.ly/Y2sIzt) its unmatched by any competitive offering. The regional license is covering 90% of the use cases. The price you pay to upgrade to HERE Drive+ is going to be less than any roaming cost you will ever encounter when leaving your home country and searching for a place on any competitive free offering.
- Keep in mind that all our smartphones are a unique set of features, design and services. On Nokia Lumia 520 and Nokia Lumia 720 you will get HERE Drive. If the regional license isn’t enough for you, you can upgrade or buy any of our other smartphones that offer global license out of the box

Category: Applications, Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. Kiraly says:

What a dumb move from Nokia!
    You are confusing Customers one phone has other no .

2. paisan says:

im just read this thread trying to become unconfused
    but it didnt help
    i just bought a 520 in Vietnam i took the sim out and went out of wifi range and located myself on the Here maps . .good.so now i wont get lost driving in the country side.my phone only appears to have “Here” . .i dont see Here drive . .and dont know the difference between Here and Here+ . .can someone explain me the capabilities limitations of the 520 navagation??

3. Karteek says:

Hi,

If I purchase lumia 720 in India and launch here drive with Indian sim for the first time.. and later move to an other country (say UK) and insert UK sim, will here drive works in UK ???

• Paul says:

I believe No.

The Here Drive app. will be locked to the country/region it was first activated in, so if you first started/activated the Here Drive App in India with an Indian SIM it will be locked to that region and will not work in the UK.

I am not sure what a factory reset on the phone will do the trick and whether it can be reset and started again with a “fresh Install” to a different region but I think the phones IMEI will be used somehow to lock the device and stored on the Nokia server to keep that phone locked to the first region.

I actually just bought a phone in the UK for my girlfriend who lives in Colombia, I started it in the UK with a UK SIM and it is locked to the UK region now, but will soon be traveling to Colombia to give her the phone, so will see what a factory reset does when her SIM is inserted.

4. Vaibhav says:

What if one resets the device to factory settings. Can we switch primary countries then?

5. 4d says:

The big question is – what licence will it be to upgrade a device from HERE DRIVE to HERE DRIVE+?

- same as on lumia 620 – i.e. lifetime drive+ usage
    or
    - temporary (you will need to pay again to prolong the use)

anybody got some info on that?

6. Slawek says:

I was determined to buy 720 as soon as it will be available in Poland, but now I will go back to Samsung (alreadt have 2 years old s2).
    One more think – I have nokia navigation in my second phone e52, but now nokia does not support it and I cant update maps with nokia pc suite, so I will not trust nokia second time and pay extra for so-called “live-time” navigation…

7. LS says:

Does HERE Drive on Nokia Lumia 720 still have voice navigation?

I’m just assuming it does…but the way I’m reading it sounds like only HERE Drive + has voice navigation…

8. marc says:

I want to upgrade from a lumia 800 to a 720(because of it’s design and battery), but NO full navigation pre-installed???
    So the one thing you always advertise with and was a pre for buying nokia instaed of htc, now you want us to pay extra???
    I always defended Nokia in favour for android and Iphone, but now i’m dissapointed in nokia.
    I don’t mind the price but 820 and 920 are to big.
    Now I think there’s no nokia for me that I like.
    620 is different marketing group for you but has full nav,
    720 better design, more expensive no full nav????????

I thought I really had to let you, and probably thousands of people think the same way. Stupid descision.

greetings, Marc

9. Thanks , I’ve just been searching for info about this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have came upon till now. However, what about the bottom line? Are you positive about the supply?|What i don’t realize is in reality how you are no longer really a lot more neatly-preferred than you may be now. You are so intelligent.

10. Rakesh says:

Hi All, any luck on factory setting to reset licence to current country. I used HERE Beta of Lumia 510 in SA first but actually I stay in India and I am not able to use it here.

11. tummaladharani says:

Sir my hand set is lumia 720. Am not able to download apps, games from store , it is showing error code . Tis problem am facing from past one week on wards.

and also am not able to download songs from nokia music, but i have unlimited subscription for 6 months. Please help me ssir

12. Habib says:

i want to know what is the region covered if the sim inserted in the lumia 520 is an United arab emirates one or at least where i can find this kind of info since Nokia .com & Here is not helping me at all

13. Alexei says:

Hi.
    I’ve a Lumia 720 that I bought and activated in Ukraine. Did I get you right that when I’m moving to USA I cannot use my phone for navigation at all. With or without HERE Drive+. Or with HERE Drive+ license it’ll become available?

14. sandip says:

I have lumia 710.
    Can I upgrade to here drive+

15. james s says:

have a doubt ,Why the arrow in here drive + rotates at rest (i mean outside road / inside home

16. Gwendolyn says:

The media for downloading hasn’t been this fast and simple as it is now.
    Instant availability is precisely what is triggering ebook piracy too.
    Body Language is nonverbal, usually unconscious, communication by using postures, gestures, and facial expressions.

17. This does not mean that you are devoid of your favorite and the most lovable dream machine.

Often, private owners are not as aggressive when it comes
    to talking about numbers and the process. You will be also entitled to examine that any information equipped is secured
    (preferably electronically) and, when appropriate, securely disposed of.

18. I’m highly impressed using your producing skills as intelligently similar to the structure to your blog page. Is the the settled theme as well as did you change the idea yourself? Anyways maintain the nice high quality publishing, it’s scarce to take a look an excellent web site exactly like it today.