PureViewClub: Initial Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Nokia 808 PureView comparisons

| August 12, 2013 | 17 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 09.43.46

A couple of posts from PureViewClub where there are some comparisons between the Nokia Lumia 1020 against the Nokia 808 PureView.

In the first shot the 808 is apparently set to ‘vivid’

Macro

Marc wants a bit more time with the Nokia Lumia 1020 to really take advantage of it, as he has learnt with his 808. But overall, he’s very pleased.

I feel quite sure you don’t need me to come to your own conclusions, but to me in this case, most interesting fact is that you’ll be able to zoom in quite a bit closer with the Lumia 1020 than with the Nokia 808 PureView.

Also, I’m really impressed with the amount of detail the crop of the Lumia’s full resolution shot offers. I’m not saying which one “is better” however – I’ve written before I need much more time to get to know all the possibilities of the new Lumia 1020 (like if I know all of the 808 PureView…).

In these pretty basic shots, the results from the Lumia 1020 are very satisfying to me – it appears to perform better in detail in this case, but maybe less realistic in color. Please remember however, that the shots were not made at the exact same time, and there is a humble photographer behind each shot.

Category: Nokia, PureView

1. stylinred says:

if you check out the forums there are many more comparisons between the 808/1020

2. milojko says:

non-macro full res shots show more details on 808 than 1020, @Werner?

• Werner Ruotsalainen says:

Will check out promptly… have been working on my iOS camera article series lately…

• Werner Ruotsalainen says:

Nope, they are pretty much egal… prolly the 1020 is a BIT more detailed, by not much. For example, “Germany” is a bit more readable on the 1020 shot at http://pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Small-harbour-3-crop.jpg?f82e68 than on that of the 808 ( http://pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-808-PureView-Small-harbour-3-crop.jpg?f82e68 ). The difference is, however, pretty small.

The hi-res comparative shots I’ve seen so far have shown a definite lead for the 1020 in the detail / resolution dept. Well, these shots are pretty much different.

BTW, the comments under the article also show this. An example:

“For the first time I can finally see a good comparison between the 808 and the 1020. Every other comparison I have seen seems to be a bit biased towards the 1020, and for some bizarre reason the 808 image compares were soft. This is not the case with your shots!”

What I’ve also noticed is that the 808 seems to show significantly less highlight clipping in many shots; for example,

808: http://pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-808-PureView-Small-harbour-3.jpg?f82e68

1020: http://pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Small-harbour-3.jpg?f82e68

Compare the clouds’ details and visibility in the top right corner.

Another pair where the 1020 exhibits far worse highlight clipping than the 808:

808: http://pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-808-PureView-Small-harbour-6-crop.jpg?f82e68

1020: http://pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Small-harbour-6-crop.jpg?f82e68

Check the white hammer(?) in the center of the lower half of the screen – on the 1020 shots, it’s marred by highlight clipping. On the 808, not so.

This doesn’t necessarily mean the 1020 has worse DR. Generally, the 1020 seems to choose somewhat larger EV’s to shoot; this is why, in general, the 1020 shots are a bit brighter. This also means you’ll want to shoot with a constant exposure compensation of -0.3 or even -0.6EV on the 1020 to avoid highlight clipping. Fortunately, it’s possible on the 1020 – unlike, say, on iOS ;-)

Finally, in the noise dept, the 808 is clearly better.

• Werner Ruotsalainen says:

(Notice to mods: feel free to delete this post as soon as you accept the above one. I’ve quickly re-posted the same post so that it can immediately be published, without having to be moderated – without links.)

BTW, the comments under the article also show this. An example:

808: pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-808-PureView-Small-harbour-3.jpg?f82e68

1020: pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Small-harbour-3.jpg?f82e68

Compare the clouds’ details and visibility in the top right corner.

Another pair where the 1020 exhibits far worse highlight clipping than the 808:

808: pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-808-PureView-Small-harbour-6-crop.jpg?f82e68

1020: pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Small-harbour-6-crop.jpg?f82e68

Finally, in the noise dept, the 808 is clearly better.

• milojko says:

“Nope, they are pretty much egal… prolly the 1020 is a BIT more detailed, by not much. For example, “Germany” is a bit more readable on the 1020 shot at pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-Lumia-1020-Small-harbour-3-crop.jpg?f82e68 than on that of the 808 ( pureviewclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nokia-808-PureView-Small-harbour-3-crop.jpg?f82e68 ). The difference is, however, pretty small.”

the difference in those letters is negligible(I can read both without fuss), however look at the stains(or rust points) in a top left corner of that blue object, there are a LOT more visible on 808 photo…

3. aklanai says:

your links are linked to the same… link! Change the macro one =)

4. tom says:

I like Marc, and love his site..but I have come to realize that while he seems like a very nice and great guy.. he is more of a novice when it comes to taking pictures and photography, so whatever conclusion he comes to here, I would not put a lot of expert photo credibility behind it.

just saying…

5. dss says:

The only way to get the maximum out of the 1020 is to shoot in full res and resize/adjust on a PC later.

You can max out the 808 by putting in the 8Mpix pureview mode and set the jpeg quality to superfine, which is 95% . You can also add a bit of sharpness if you so desire.

In terms of color.. you can make them pop on the 808 by switching to vivid + add 1 or 2 points of saturation.

6. Junnior Reis says:

Both 1020 and 808 are weak in macro mode and this is easily explained by the optical assembly and sensor 2 devices in this giant !

Incidentally macro mode is my only complaint about the 808 certainly is the only point that could be improved, but not by the way that Nokia has managed to improve in 1020 !

Also this comparison 808 fared better, with more detail, better exposure and less noise !

Sorry to disappoint, but you will make comparative 1000 and 1000 the 808 will do better !