Lumia 1520 Launch Expected in Late October Rather than September

| September 14, 2013 | 27 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-09-08 at 21.00.25For a while now everyone has been insistent that the Lumia 1520 will launch on September the 26th in New York City. However recent rumors by @evleaks and Tom Warren of the Verge both match up to what we at MNB have heard, that the launch will instead take place in late October (2nd or 3rd week). We’ve also heard that the location is no longer NYC, but we can’t comment on the new venue.

So that gives Nokia almost an extra month to prepare for the 1520 and possibly the tablet launch as well, that also means there should be no excuse for further launch delays or botched releases. The only question is at the rate these leaks are coming, will there be anything left to announce?

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. techgeass says:

No event is pushed back another event is added i.e surface 2 launch.

2. jiipee says:

Which WP update was expected for 1520. Any rumours, where it is going?

3. Janne says:

Devil’s advocate: AT&T reacting to the Microsoft news?

4. Tim says:

I was so excited about the possibility of a Nokia phablet but based on the leaks I’m really disappointed.
    I don’t understand what the appeal of a huge phone is if it doesn’t include a stylus and wacom digitiser. I liked the Note 2 because of the stylus and though I won’t be getting a Note 3 not intending to go back to android and Samsung, I think a phablet with no stylus and programs that take advantage of the stylus has very little appeal, namely more screen estate, but too many compromises. What I’m trying to say is that the stylus and smart little programs built around it is what makes a phablet practical in my mind and without them they’re ridiculous. I’m sure some will disagree and I respect that.

• Janne says:

Yep, I hear you.

As someone with ThinkPad Helix hybrid, wacom digitizer and all, I think W8 has it nailed down. WP8 GDR8 won’t be *there* yet. Maybe WP 8.1 next string will be?

• Janne says:

Typo: string => spring

• Tim says:

I understand if it is a software issue but then why release it? I expect from Nokia to do smart launches, push the envelope, innovate and I was expecting this for the phablet. A Note 3 but made smarter still with more fluent software stylus interaction in a better overall package. Instead we seem to be getting a giant 720. It could have been so much more than a huge screen. Thanks for bending your ear.

• Janne says:

It could have.

But it was never going to be.

For whatever reason, I never thought Nokia would make *that* phablet this year.

• jiipee says:

They must have had some models planned earlier maybe with WP7. Otherwise it does not make any sense, when Ollila talked about phablets ages ago.

• qwerty11 says:

Are you sure that 1520 will come without digitiser?
      You are absolutely right that without digitiser this phone is a useless giant smartphone, and I think Nokia understands it too.

• Tim says:

It looks that way from what we’ve seen to this point.
        I’m still holding out hope that we haven’t yet seen
        some folding case accessory which will hold the stylus and
        maybe wireless charging too.
        That would be amazing but I think we’d have heard something
        about it already.

5. efekt says:

Good for me! More time to arrange the money to buy the 1520 unlocked… Will probably cost around 1000$ in my country (probably even more), but it looks like it’s worth it…
    Problem is, that I’ll probably have to pay the whole sum up front, that won’t make my wife too happy :-(

Owwww…. Look what I have to do for you Nokia!!! :-(

6. Janne says:

MNB. You need to fix the comment system.

Seriously.

7. Viipottaja says:

I gather most likely reason for the delay being GDR3 not being ready.

8. DesR85 says:

I always wondered why Nokia didn’t use that polycarbonate material for the 1520 on the 925 instead of that metal and polycarbonate combination. Looks better to me and gives a seamless look. ;)

9. There isn’t need to maintain DVD collections or rent DVDs frequently to
    watch movies of your respective choice. This free, open-source DOS emulator can chance a wide number of
    DOS programs, including games and utility programs.
    Vortexes in your field, spinning inside a counter clockwise direction, are powerful tools to draw
    in negative energy from you, your chakras, your aura along with your energy bodies.