Recently we’ve heard rumors that Microsoft might be planning versions of WP and Windows RT that do away with the the licensing costs, and instead make back the money by in-app ads, and pushing their bundled services such as Skydrive and Skype. Microsoft and Nokia however have never actually commented on the individual cost of each WP/RT license, making many wonder exactly how expensive/cheap each device costs to push out the door.
However we at MNB can report that a source familiar with Microsoft’s licensing scheme have shared the prices of the respective licences with us. A single Windows Phone 8 license costs close to $25 per device (or £15); a Windows RT license with the Office suite (like what the Lumia 2520 would come with) costs $90 per device (or £55).
Although $25 might not sound like much for a $500 device, it certainly makes a huge impact at the lower end of the spectrum, with devices such as the Lumia 520 and 525. Effectively getting rid of these licensing fees could drop the price an extra $25 without affecting the profit margins for Nokia; and seeing that the Lumia 520′s biggest selling point was its price, imagine what would happen if it were $25 cheaper. Currently Amazon are running a promotion on the Lumia 520 selling it for only $50 off contract), which could theoretically be $25 if the licensing fees were removed.
Although WP8 already reached a very low price-point this price-point could still be pushed further, without compromising on the performance of the devices; provided Microsoft change their licensing strategy. Something that would benefit OEMs greatly, and make WP a more attractive choice for budget smartphones; we’ll have to wait and see if Microsoft will indeed slash their prices, but at least we know what it costs to make a WP device.
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, my name's Ali- Currently a fifth (and final) year Dental Student from Chicago; studying in Jordan. I love all sorts of gadgets almost as much as I love my cookies! Be sure to follow my Twitter handle @AliQudsi and Subcribe to my Youtube for the latest videos - no pressure. Thanks.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Claim: Windows Phone license fees currently cost $25, Windows RT $90 | WMPoweruser | December 17, 2013
- Claim: Windows Phone license fees currently cost $25, Windows RT $90 : WPFans | December 17, 2013
- WPDang || 授权费到底多少钱？每台WP手机25刀，每台RT平板90刀 | December 18, 2013
- “授权费”到底多少钱？每台WP手机25刀，每台RT平板90刀 | December 18, 2013
- Windows Phone License Fees Stands At $25, Windows RT $90, Says Source | Phone Chronicle | December 18, 2013
- Il prezzo delle licenze per Windows Phone 8 è di 25$ e di 90$ per Windows RT? | December 18, 2013
- Estos son los precios de las licencias de Windows Phone 8 y Windows RT | December 18, 2013
- Of course Microsoft should stop charging for Windows Phone - SmartPhones | December 18, 2013
- วงในเผย ค่าลิขสิทธิ์ของ Windows Phone และ Windows RT อยู่ที่ 25 และ 90 | December 19, 2013
- Current Windows Phone License Cost | December 19, 2013
- WP8和Windows RT授权费爆光，比收取Android专利费贵几倍 | 平板电脑网 | December 20, 2013
- رسوم ترخيص الويندوز فون والويندوز RT تتراوح بين 25 و 90 دولار - مدونة ندى هوس | December 20, 2013
- Berapa Biaya Lisensi Sistem Operasi Windows Phone Dan Windows RT? | hp tekno | December 21, 2013
- Of course Microsoft should stop charging for Windows Phone | Pocketnow | January 2, 2014
- Microsoft sarebbe intenzionata a tagliare i prezzi delle licenze. | January 7, 2014