Rumor: Sony to Possibly Launch a WP Device in 2014

| December 31, 2013 | 18 Replies

DSC01507Following up with the latest AdDuplex stats which pinged Nokia for over 90% of WP devices on the market; which once again raised the question of their not being much competition from other OEMs. Recently however new rumors have risen, pointing at the possibility of a Sony Windows Phone device in 2014 (still 2013 over here). Sony has been one of the manufacturers that has never released a WP device, be it 7 or 8 (Dell, LG and others flirted with WP7 back in the day).

One of the reasons Sony never went with WP was because of the WP integration with Xbox, which is of course a direct competitor to Sony’s own Playstation; the reason for the change of hearts is unclear, perhaps Microsoft was able to work something out with them? If launched the device is rumored to be marketed under the “Vaio” brand name; the popular line of Sony laptops and Windows machines that have had some mainstream success and popularity.

Should Sony make the plunge into WP it could only mean good things for the OS, as variety is the spice of life, and WP is in dire need of some spice. Hopefully however they would give their devices a proper push unlike the half-assed techniques HTC and Samsung have gone with.

Via

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. Janne says:

Now, that’s what I call mediocre progress.

Anyway, happy 2014 to all our MEA+R friends!

Finland welcomes 2014 in 28 minutes or so. :)

2. Windows phone is perfect. I love u Nokia

3. james says:

Happy new year 2014 in finland to all :-)

4. JGrove303 says:

Dear Sony:

PLEASE start making Vaio quality level Windows Phone devices. Sumsung’s ATIV line is an afterthought, HTC is garbage these days and ASUS could be strongly compelled to bring out a VIVO Phone as well.

As a Sony Ericsson fan of the past and a current fan of the soon-to-be-assimilated Nokia, I can not think of another brand I would go with, should Microsoft botch and Bork their handling of Nokia’s hard work and progress.

Sincerly,

A Happy Vaio S-Series Owner, Jason G.

• Carbontubby says:

Maybe I can call myself an unhappy and deeply dissatisfied Vaio owner.

Late updates, junk drivers, default configs full of Sony bloatware, that’s been my experience with Vaio laptops. Sony charges Apple-level prices for Acer-level service for what essentially are cheap machines. There’s not much software or hardware value adding that goes on with Vaios to justify the steep prices.

Lenovo Thinkpads are the only Windows laptop lineup I would buy nowadays. Proper business level service, robust-as-hell build quality as from the IBM days, and not much crap installed to slow down the system.

Anyway Sony can go and build WP phones for all I care. I won’t be buying any of their junk.

• JGrove303 says:

Lenovo is the king of laptops. Built like a Nokia 3110. For top level hard on those you will pay big money, too.

I also have an AMD powered 17.3 ” Acer that was inexpensive, well built and never gives me issues as well. But it does have a backlit keyboard with metal keys, a magnesium chassis or 12GB of DDR3 RAM like the S-Series has. Plus a MUCH FASTER processor for only a few hundred more.

Sony Customer Service does suck. That’s a Japanese institution, across the board.

Toshiba is bad with laptops. Construction is horrendous. Same customer service.

• JGrove303 says:

Doesn’t*

• Janne says:

I agree. Lenovo is really the best Windows laptop and hybrid maker. There are occasional stars from others (e.g. some niche products), but Lenovo has the most consistent line-up.

Indeed something that Windows desperately needs too, considering the often craptastic line-ups from many other manufacturers.

• DesRed says:

I always view Sony’s laptops as overpriced and tend to avoid them. That’s why I recommended Dell’s laptops to both my sister and brother over the former since they are cheaper, despite being filled with trial products and bloatware.

As for Lenovo, I don’t have much of an opinion on them yet, but if they are that good, then I will consider them for my parents.

• Noki says:

Lenovo’s consumer grade ideapads and Co are crapish like all of the rest, the thinkpad line on the other end is good really good.
          The carbon X1 is a stunning piece of hardware.
          Dell I used to used them, its not great…

• DesRed says:

“Dell I used to used them, its not great…”

I actually find them decent, but, like you, not great. My sister’s Inspiron laptop did last her 6 years before it kicked the bucket sometime in August last year. My brother’s more beefy laptop (can’t remember the model name) is still going strong in that same period, albeit with slight hinge problem.

But as for Lenovo, I’ll do some checking around at their Thinkpad line.

5. We’ve Gene Hackman as Jimmy McGinty; the coach who provides in Shane Falco (Keanu Reeves) to steer as quarterback, a participant infamous for his former match at Ohio State. I’ve never ever been a huge admirer of Keanu Reeves but I have to state that the part in this film suited him quite nicely. I discovered the antics and performance of their kicker Nigel “The Leg” Gruff (Rhys Ifans) to be an additional delight..
    [url=http://www.covavee.be/include/tiffany.asp?p=221]tiffany’s bracelet heart[/url]
    tiffany’s bracelet heart

6. (1) Invest in choices which might be created alongside the downward route with the automobiles because they glide, tumble, or free-fall to the (undefined by calendar partition) monitor of time. It is almost certainly smarter to ride in the types that present warranty safety in the type of dividend payments, a background of profitability, a low P/E, and high fundamental excellent rankings. Even this kind of stalwarts, regardless of their intrinsic worth, will sometimes turn into accessible at fire-sale prices; so don’t even consider shopping for them until they’ve began down the hill by at the very least 20%.
    [url=http://www.covavee.be/include/tiffany.asp?p=14]tiffany e co outlet milano[/url]
    tiffany e co outlet milano

7. Uniforms and emblem clothes are especially suitable for some sectors. As an example, shippers globe wide know UPS by their distinct brown attire. If this really is the case with your provider, make sure that the uniform demonstrates up in the trade display.
    [url=http://www.covavee.be/include/tiffany.asp?p=110]tiffany 325 articles[/url]
    tiffany 325 articles

8. Erkenntnis:had been Sie aus dem Geschenk Ihres Lebens machen, crown für Ihre Seele eine große Bedeutung. durch Ihrem Herzensbekenntnis geben Sie Ihre Kraft und Liebe dorthin, Wo die-off Seele sich entfalten kann,
    prix lunette de soleil ray ban