WP8.1 Blue, Release to Manufacturers March, Devs – April, Users May

| January 28, 2014 | 17 Replies

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 14.13.41

This was just tweeted by Nawzil8. Tom Warren from TheVerge confirms that the source is from Mary Jo Foley. Is this update wise? As Nokia already has 8.1 devices appearing in February according to rumours.

So much is expected of WP8.1. Nokia’s done what they can and more with Amber and Black. It feels like Microsoft has slacked so much. We better see some significant improvements in 8.1.

Windows Phone 8.1 won’t be available to consumers until later this April…

…Windows 8.1 Update 1 will be focused primarily on making Windows 8.1 more useful to business users.

Mary Jo Foley - ZDNet

Cheers  WinPhan for the tip!

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. Elop says:

Thank you for your article!

I want to inform you that Nokia WILL announce new Lumia devices with WP8.1 at #MWC.

BR
    S. Elop

2. Silthice says:

End Users: July

3. Ed says:

“Users May”…be. Hope not.

4. arg0 says:

“more useful to business users”? Hope this includes more flexible virtual keyboards: sizes, layouts, etc. Current keyboards on 6″ devices are preposterously humongous.

5. dss says:

Don’t expect much..

Most of the major work is going towards the threshold update cycle where you will see RT and Windows Phone merge, so any work on the current OS is..well.. not so important since there is a big change coming.

I am hoping that the next gen devices would run on Snap 805 and have at least 3gb RAM because once they merge WP with RT the spec requirements will go up so.. you need “future proof” hardware.

• Bloob says:

I’m thinking it will similar to 8.0, huge expectations, not much of a delivery. Cortana, notifications and some small tweaks here and there seem likely. A decent update, but it won’t “save WP”.

6. Chris_Wayne says:

Business users?, WHAT?!, are you insane?, Fix the Me tile!, add notification center!, improve multitasking!, improve personalization! bring a bit of the multitasking features from windows 8 rt to windows phablets!, enough said.

• Andre C says:

“Business users?”

Read the article properly before posting. She said windows 8.1, NOT windows phone 8.1.

We don’t fully know what WP8.1 will bring to the table.

7. Jasyn says:

Thank God for Nokia since WP8 was released, since Microsoft has basically done next to nothing for the platform, other than a few very minor updates. They hardly ever even update their own Apps on the Phone..pathetic.

So 18 months to get to 8.1 since release. Lame.

8. Pathetic says:

wohoooo!! May how awesome wait a minute wich year? 2015 rigth? I hope 2015, 2016 is too much cmon Microsoft hurry up God this is awesome

9. Massis Sirapian says:

If WP8.1 is released to BUILD in April, I don’t see any WP8.1 devices presented at MWC, 2 months ahead. Tom Warren states that WP8.1 devices will be versionned XX30, like 630, 1030, etc. So don’t expect much at Barcelona, in terms of devices.