Freeware: Dad's Cab – Taxi Meter for your freeloading kids/friends/spouse! For the Nokia N97, 5800, Samsung i8910, Sony Ericsson Satio.
Are your kids treating you like a taxi service? Maybe it’s your girlfriend/wife or your mates who are using you as their own personal chauffeur?
Using this free application from the Ovi Store, Dad’s Cab, you can now start “charging” those free loaders for some well earned fares as you drive your kids to school or pick your other half up from a night out with the girls. It’s more parent to child oriented but it’s fun for all I guess.
Dads Cab uses your GPS to calculate distance and thus the fare
- When you click “New Journey”, you have the usual start rate of £2.20 (that’s around in Cardiff anyway – it doesn’t seem to have other currencies at the moment)
- Using GPS on your phone, it adds accordingly to the fare (it actually stopped at £7.20 for approx 3 miles which is actually a fair ride. You’ll see why there’s 20p extra)
- The fare also goes up by 20p about a minute at a time.
- When you’re done, press Stop. Dad’s Cab will then give pop up suggestions for slapping on some extra charges. As well as what you can see in the screenshot below, the list also includes “back seat driving”, “Are we there yet” charge, “cleaning” surgarge, “groans at my jokes” toll, “mocking my music” toll and “texting friends” fee, each with their individual prices that gets added on to the meter.
- These charges mount up with each journey until your “customer” has paid you.
- What are these payments? If you’re a scrooge, you can actually charge money. But here it’s your typical “things that embarras your child or your child hates to do” activities. With each selection, the payment owed is reduced to the minimum of zero. By clicking “Payment Options” you can see these activities below, as well as “Tell me about your day”, “Clean your room”, “Bring me breakfast in bed”, “Let me watch my show on tv” and “no more socks for christmass”
- Quitting the application has a little advert suggesting that you should try your one week free trial of Ovi Maps Navigation
I’ll update this tonight with the video portion.