How to: Getting more apps to your N900 – Adding application catalogues to app manager.

| December 18, 2009 | 64 Replies

[Update: Be warned, some apps from this catalogue may harm your N900]

As a N900 user, you might be aware that although Ovi isn’t yet officially ready for the N900, you can still get buckets of apps via the app manager.

[App Manager>Download>Refresh]

With the app manager you can download lists of applications from predefined “Application Catalogues”. (If you haven’t already, make sure all preloaded catalogues aren’t set to “disabled”.)

If you’re new to the platform, you might not know that you can add application catalogues to the N900. A great one to try is

Maemo.org extras testing“.

To create a new catalogue go to:

1. App Manager
  2. Hit settings, i.e. the bar that says “Application manager”
  3. Click “Application catalogues”
  4. Click “New”
  5. Enter in details as shown in screenshots below.

• Catalogue Name: maemo.org extras testing
  • Web Address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing
  • Distribution: fremantle
  • Components: free non-free

You’ll get access to a bunch more apps than what’s available by standard ( – I think I must have tried out at least 20 in an hour),  and I think this catalogue gets updated more frequently.

EXTRAS DEVEL

For PR1.2 firmware:

Application manager --> Application catalogs --> New
Catalog name: maemo.org
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Distribution: fremantle-1.2
Components: free non-free

BEFORE PR1.2 firmware

Application manager --> Application catalogs --> New
Catalog name: maemo.org
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Distribution: fremantle
Components: free non-free

[There's also "Red Pill" mode for some more settings and packages, but if what's said above is new to you, you most definitely will not need to check that out. It isn't even intended for majority of developers or power users.]

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: How to:, Maemo, Nokia, Nseries

1. mike says:

what is the maemo.org extra testing website? can you please pst the full site. on the pics above only show up to ”extr” what is the rest please?

2. mike says:

3. llaadd says:

that just instantly added 5 updates for apps i have as well as 2 I did earlier today!!!

nice 1 m8

4. llaadd says:

nice 1 m8

5. llaadd says:

I can’t believe someone made an app to see how high you can throw your N900!!!!! don’t believe me…check out n900fly on this new app catalogue

6. llaadd says:

7. Matt Walsh says:

Hi,

My N900 is ‘searching for updates’ and it has been like this for about 20 minutes now. Do you happen to know how long the updates can take?

• Jay Montano says:

Hi Matt,

It doesn’t take long usually. Under a minute – 20 seconds mostly.
      Just checked now and it does seem to be slow – though where I am it’s only a 2G signal.

8. Matt Walsh says:

Hi,

• Jay Montano says:

Hi Matt,

It doesn’t take long usually. Under a minute – 20 seconds mostly.

9. Matt Walsh says:

HI jay,

Thanks for the info matey.

I have just checked my phone and its back at the application manager page, where can I find the new updates if there are any?

Cheers

10. Matt Walsh says:

HI jay,

Thanks for the info matey.

Cheers

11. Raj says:

Awesome, thanks for the Quick Tip, I got lot of updates for my apps and also saw new apps, please post links to more websites that have apps for N900, sucks that OVI does not exist for N900

12. Raj says:

13. Rob says:

Nice one, some decent stuff there and got faster access to updates on decoders which is nice.

BRW, I notice you have the mozilla catalogue there. Hunted around but cannot find the details to enter to get that.

14. Rob says:

15. Michael says:

To Rob
    If you go to the mozilla website, i fink its mozilla.org/m but not honestly sure, on your n900 then you will be able to download the Mozilla Catalogue from there.

Hope this helps.
    Michael

• Rob says:

Yeah, sorry, had forgotten that I posted that last month. Found it a while back but cheers. I’m sure the info will be handy for others.

16. Michael says:

To Rob

Hope this helps.
    Michael

• Rob says:

17. Topcat says:

I added the maemo catalogues to my N900 a while ago…..now the standard Ovi / Nokia ones are blocked. Anyone got the full catalogue details for these so I can check mine are correct…? Ta

18. Topcat says:

19. TiagoTiago says:

What is the difference between using just fremantle and using fremantle-1.2 for the distribution? I mean, i know one is for pre 1.2 and one is for 1.2, but what changes?

20. Dom Q Gowan says:

how to remove nokia start up logo

21. hani says:

great
    thanks all :)

22. Nikhil says:

buy an i phone..:p

23. hajjali says:

my full apps catalogue was erased.how can i install that

24. Honey says: