Nokia N8 apparently not delayed (Updated)

| September 21, 2010 | 89 Replies

Nokia today denied that the N8 has been delayed, they expect the N8 to start shipping at the end of the third quarter and that hasn’t changed, Nokia’s explanation is that customer pre ordering from Nokia directly will get the N8 at a slightly different time then to people getting the N8 from their choosen network. So basically networks will be shipping devices at different times to people buying straight from Nokia. It seems the delay comes from shipping the large amounts of N8′s around the world rather than an issue with the N8.

That report seems to  reflect that from a statement from Nokia’s official blog.

Nokia conversations, Nokia’s official blog posted an update on their website clarifying the reports that came from Engadget saying the N8 has been delayed for a few week’s.

ESPOO, Finland – There have been a few stories this morning about the N8 availability which we feel need clarification. As we have previously said, we still expect to start the shipments by the end of the third quarter. As with every global launch, when the device reaches the hand of the customer will vary by market and operator.

We have received a record number of online pre-orders for the Nokia N8. We had targeted our online pre-order customers to receive their N8s by the end of September. As it can take time from the beginning of shipment to arriving at their doorstep, in full transparency, we have advised our pre-order customers that they should expect their new Nokia N8 in October.

Update It seems the delays are in fact true according to some of our readers, Rewes mentioned that it was confirmed that the N8 will be delayed in Netherlands and another reader ekngee also has said both pre orders and normal sales have been pushed back for mid october in Singapore. I just want to reiterate that no one knows what is going on so stay tuned we are still getting both sides of the story and mixed messages it is obviously a bad day for the PR department :-D.

I am gonna stick to my theory and say the N8 will not be delayed for Nokia’s more important markets and in some country’s it will be delayed.

thanks to Endaf for the heads up

via Nokia conversations & Straits times

Category: News, Nseries, OVI, Press Release, Symbian

Hey welcome and thank you for reading my post. Well I am a student based in the UK, and try to blog about Nokia as much as I can in my spare time. I am also on twitter where you can follow me @jwf90 or also the site @mynokiablog. You can also contact us with juicy tips or suggestions at tips(@)mynokiablog.com

Sites That Link to this Post

9. โนเกียแก้ข่าว N8 ยังวางข | September 22, 2010
  10. โนเกียแก้ข่าว N8 ยังวางข | September 22, 2010
  11. โนเกียแก้ข่าว N8 ยังวางข | September 22, 2010
  1. Nocare says:

Fuck engadget

• John Wiegand-forson says:

I agree what a shame such a great site but they just can’t get their anti Nokia stance out of their head, they constantly deny it but its so obvious

• mja says:

To be honest their coverage of Nokia World was pretty good and not-that-biased. I think gizmodo is much worse in their Nokia hate and Android-ios-love.

• mj says:

lets see if the correct their story!

• A-S-D says:

I was surprised by that. Gizmodo on the otherhand was questionable, and was really pro-Apple all of a sudden.

• IMarius says:

XD gizmodo questionable ? really with great articles like

“‘why do Europeans still buy Nokia phones ?’”
            ‘”why nokia are the Macdonalds of phones”‘ and of course ”will the n8 save nokia’”

Each one just an opinion article that boiled down to , me and my mates dont own a nokia so they must be in trouble.

Did gizmodo even have any coverage of nokia world ? nope. its only the biggest phone company showing off new products.

sorry for the rant, but its clear as day how they feel.

• John Wiegand-forson says:

Oh gizmodo is gone so downhill that they are not a tech site anymore they are sooo embarrassing with their Nokia bashing and Android love. I am not sure about iOS though its cooled of a bit since the iPhone 4 prototype debacle

• Stoli89 says:

The last two podcasts from Engadget made outright statements and veiled suggestions that Nokia was somehow racist as a corporation in its dealings with the third world. That its Finnish roots suggested a fair-skinned / Aryan superiority complex. It was the first time I heard of such nonsense and frankly, given all of the programs Nokia has on-going in Emerging Markets (Nokia Life Tools, etc.), this would be the last company I would classify as racist. I was shocked how flippantly Joshua Topolsky from Engadget threw out this comment, as if it were a statement of fact, without any serious follow-up to substantiate this accusation. His cohorts then went into an attempted comedy routine describing how out of place Nokia engineers must’ve felt upon relocating to Atlanta, where the company apparently has a development office. I don’t listen to these rants much…I find Joshua’s futile attempt at trying to sound intelligent more like a frustrated nerd attempting to hit on a hottie in some 3rd rate B movie. It’s a bit sad. But the whole racism commentary really shows the degree of animosity the Silicon insiders have toward this global company with Finnish roots.

• IMarius says:

Really i have not heard that , must listen to it. damn i mean one week they are saying nokia only make any money from selling phones to the developing world , and now their somehow racist. Yea sounds like grade A tech blogging to me

2. Anil Dhain says:

Lets have a wild guess. Engadget will not publish this on their website. Any one care to email them with a link to this page?

• John Wiegand-forson says:

Actually engadget have denid this story and still stand that they got conformation from Nokia that the N8 is delayed

• Anil Dhain says:

But the thing is that Engadget is the only website that has published it, and all other websites have just quoted them. Even to say nokia has clarified that it is not true.

• John Wiegand-forson says:

I know exactly what you mean but its engadget they dont like Nokia its a fact they keep denying it but its obvious I was shocked to see them actually go to Nokia world and cover it. They probably only went to London for the HTC event and popped by Nokia World :-D

3. Endaf says:

Nokia should sue them, now that would be actuall news

4. alex68 says:

Technically, Nokia can still stick to the release announcement of “the end Sep”.

I wish Nokia will be better and more careful with their product publish and announcement in the future.

• John Wiegand-forson says:

I think they confused people, the N8 will be available at the end of Q3 but will not arrive to costumers until october due to the delivery time. Thats the problem about releasing a product at the end of the quarter, due to delivery time the consumer will not get the device until the start of the next quarter

• alex68 says:

Your analysis was correct. But there is also something behind (eg. final run for fixes) screwing up the situation further.

In addition, Nokia may face a supply and logistics problem, given there is a known problem of amoled short supply.

People who want to wait and see , and then order will likely not get their products before year end.

5. Martijn says:

Jurgen Thysmans of Nokia Netherlands also officially confirmed the delay here:

“To ensure the best possible user experience, we have decided to delay deliveries by a few weeks to make firmware adjustments.”

I don’t care what kind of spin Nokia Conversations is putting on this, but there are many people inside various worldwide Nokia departments that are confirming the delay. Even the message on the Nokia Conversations blog does that. They’re saying now that no one will receive their N8 before October. That’s clearly a delay from the oft-stated Q3 release.

• John Wiegand-forson says:

Clearly Nokia’s people are giving us mixed messages and their are trying to deny the delay even though there is one

6. Rewes says:

I wish it would be made available as soon as possible here in the UK. My wife is getting the silver one and I can’t wait to “set it up” for her. ;)

7. ekngee says:

Sorry, but confirmed in Singapore that the delay is true. Delayed till mid-October. Pre-orders as well.

8. Alex says:

As I can see now on Nokia Shop here in Italy, delivery for Nokia N8 is changed from “the end of September” to “the end of October”.
    This is just ridicolus.
    I’ve deleted my preorder and I’m going to get some Android-based phone.
    Good luck to Mr. Elop.. he’s not doing a great job anyway. I will never buy a Nokia phone again.
    Alex.

9. Nocare says:

Oh no

will nokia delay nokia e7? c7 c6-01 and n9(if there is one)

10. Georg says:

Alex :

Alex.

Wow, the guy hasn’t even started yet and you already know that he’s not doing a great job? Maybe decent? Or quite good at least? LOL

11. Georg says:

ROTFL- first everybode hates Nokia, now they all hate engadget but everybody readilly believes what they read.
    Let’s just see, I for one think that the statement with shipping end of Set and in hands of customers by Oct 3 or 4th is just- again- blowing smoke up our behinds, they are late but are afraid to say so.
    The only thing I know for sure is that Nokia is still a mess and they’ve been a mess for the last copuple of years. I hope the new management will change that and give the company a sustainable new direction and long term focus.

12. David says:

Nokia’s UK site says “END OF OCTOBER 2010″

13. Stoli89 says:

It’s clear that Elop has a lot of work to do…day one. This biggest issue, aside from the who-moved-my-cheese-external-disruptions issue, is execution. For Nokia, this is key. Leadership by example may be just what the doctor ordered. Elop needs to “execute” (dismiss) a handful of executives to streamline the organization and get rid of the inertia. That should set a new tone…to get it done yesterday…not tomorrow. The Nokia BoD was proud to hire Elop because he is culturally sensitive. Fine…feel free to drink the Finnish Vodka after hours…then fire at will.

14. ekngee says:

If they say that it is a hardware problem, we can all understand the situation. (recalls iPhone 4 antenna issues)

But software QA problems? I think Nokia totally forgot something called ‘Firmware Update’.

And I can confirm with David that the Nokia Online Shop UK states the availability as End of October. Nokia Online Shop US still says End of September, but since I’m on the other side of the world, might want to wait a couple more hours till it updates.

15. Nocare says:

Just cancel the nokia n8 project, problem is solved

move that spec to nokia n9, annouince it next year one week before it is released to the whole planet

16. Nocare says:

I wonder if nokia can give some video proof that nokia is shipped n8 to countries at the end of september

17. Nocare says:

Everytime nokia say 1 23 4th quarter for their flagship, it means the end of that qaurter

apple tell you the exact date of release

18. mja says:

It’s still possible those who pre-ordered some time ago will get theirs early October and that late October delivery is for new pre-orders. Just sayin’.

• Jim says:

hi. I’m not sure if it’s about the massive pre-order but I think they want to sell N8 equipped with Qt 4.7 which today was released. see more here: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/09/21/qt-4-7-0-now-available/

I don’t find the post for the moment, but qt 4.7 bring 4 times faster speed on arm devices and they worked with TI for this optimization. Specially on browsing the web. so I think we might see the new browser any time soon.

• Roger Johnson says:

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:

If you could have QT and the apps that use it (lots, and increasingly more) run 4 times faster on the N8 than they do today, AND have the amazing new web browser installed, would you be willing to wait the extra 2 or 3 weeks to get your N8?

• Jim says:

actually I’m not sure if this is the cause of the delay. probably it was much easier for them to release an update after. or they want to make good impressions on the first look. who knows. we shall see

• JFH says:

Yes I would gladly wait.

• alex68 says:

Yes, I would wait.

PS.

To my knowledge, it would not likely take more than 2 weeks from now for the product really READY to the market this time.

Mark my word there. Now I am now even more confident in the quality of N8.

• Aaron says:

Yeah, but I somehow doubt that’s going to happen. That would just make too much sense. They may fix a bug or two in the next few weeks, but I seriously doubt they’ll add any new features until some firmware update 6 months down the line, after all the buzz about the phone has died down already. I really hope I’m wrong, though.

• Andre says:

I’d wait a month.

• Jim says:

here it is. I found it: http://qt.nokia.com/about/news/nokia-releases-qt-4.7

“New hardware accelerated compositing in QtWebkit has accelerated QtWebkit animation rendering by 31% over Qt 4.6.0, resulting in “snappier” user interfaces”

“In benchmark tests of popular websites, Facebook pages scrolled up to 67% faster, and other, less complicated pages scrolled on average 350% faster* due to significant scrolling speed improvements in QtWebkit”

“The QPainter engine makes it possible to draw particle systems more efficiently in OpenGL”

19. chfyfx says:

It is delayed in the US. http://store.nokia.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdetail_10500_10101_-1_10000675
    Nokia really needs to confront it and give an explanation.

20. Stylinred says:

what a cluster%#*@

21. V*** says:

If there is a delayed is it possible that it’s for a CBD screen?

22. Raj says:

It is also delayed in USA. Oh Well.

23. n900 R.I.P says:

Mann nokia they want to act like apple by force who knows maybe n8 it has antenna issue lolllllllll

24. alex68 says:

Don’t be silly. As far as I know, the problem is not any hardware issue and not a big software issue either, something manageable and fixable. Everything is under control and people can expect a good quality of N8 product.