How to: Downloading Ovi Store .sis installation files from Desktop Web Browser for offline phone install
Here’s a very quick and useful tip from Iain Wallace of doitdifferent.wordpress.com on how to download the .sis/.sisx installation files directly from Ovi Store. Now why would you want this? Well you might not have WiFi or mobile data on your phone but may have access to a desktop with internet.
I’d sure as heck like a PC download and installation of apps as my uni accommodation this year has pants signal and NO WiFi. (Come on Ovi Suite!)
Installation instructions after the break!
- Go to http://store.ovi.com/ from your desktop web browser
- Sign in with your Ovi Account.
- Make sure your mobile is selected if it’s not already:
- Browse to the app you want, e.g. Nokia Battery Monitor. Note that when finding an app from search you’ll get “http://store.ovi.com/content/61776?clickSource=search&terminalId=N8-00“. Click on the application name to remove the source info so it will appear like this >> http://store.ovi.com/content/61776. Or just manually delete from “?”
- Add “/download” at the end of the URL: http://store.ovi.com/content/61776/download
- Install as you wish! You can use Ovi Suite/PC Suite to install via cable/bluetooth or you can send the files over to your phone (again via cable or bluetooth) to install directly from your phone. I like the latter as then if I store that on memory card, I have copies I can reinstall later.
Some notes from Iain:
This only works for free apps, doesn’t seem to work for bought & paid apps. Still handy though!
If I can be bothered, I might write a bookmarklet to do it for you. Would this be of interest to anyone?
I’d be interested in a bookmarklet. More so if Nokia were to just make this an easy PC experience.