Here’s an awesome app from BetaLabs – Nokia Big Screen! Basically, when you hook your N8 or other Smybian^3 device up to a TV via HDMI, the app automatically starts up to show a Media Centre like interface.
I loove these types of interfaces. Sure it’s great that Symbian replicates the whole phone screen, but this makes it much easier for the general public to make use of this picture as they can navigate the big screen better. No need to go press menu and navigate around shortcut buttons/apps. It’s all there in a very friendly Media Centre UI.
The screen becomes a navipad. Odd you might think that it doesn’t replicate what’s on the screen, but this is good since the big screen is so big, you wouldn’t want something squashed on your device screen. You can even hook up a BT remote, like a wiimote to control it.
I hope this gets more attention and development from Nokia. Perhaps for videos, pull IMDB titles for films? Perhaps give the option to similarly turn the phone into a big track pad? What about giving us a bluetooth remote accessory?
With Nokia Big Screen, you can:
- Show your photos and videos in high definition on your TV screen
- Listen to music from your phone on your home audio system
- View song lyrics in karaoke style and watch videos with subtitles
- Play music on the background while you browse your photos
- Enjoy a photo slideshow with music of your choice (change the direction with left/right arrow keys)
- Screen saver activates after a minute’s idle time to protect your TV
Note! This application is provided for personal use of legally obtained content only.
Once you’ve installed Nokia Big Screen on your phone, just connect the phone to your TV with an HDMI cable and the application opens automatically. Use the application from the phone touch display or by wirelessly connecting a Bluetooth keyboard or Wii Remote to your phone. (See More Info for how to do this.)
Use your phone as an entertainment hub you can take everywhere with you