Nokia Pure , the new typeface , which was launched recently during the design week has garnered a lot of attention. The Brandbook blog has given us a glimpse of the new type face in this screenshot comparing the old Nokia Sans font and the new Pure font.You might have seen a tutorial for changing the fonts (kind note : for symbian^3 devices only *including E7*) earlier, but there was a flaw , Qt apps broke. But now, after the release of beta Qt 4.7.2 those issues are gone and even Qt apps are sporting the new font. For example , the ovi store ,which used to break while it was in Qt 4.7, proof here :
If you are not familiar with changing the font on your Symbian^3 device, check out the full tutorial here
A quick tutorial :
Here’s what you should do :
[For symbian^3 phones only,for other Symbian devices (V5,V3) use FontRouter]
1. Make sure you have a memory card in your Symbian^3 device ,use mass memory for the E7 .
2. Then get any True type font you wish ( should be of extension .ttf ) . for example Nokia Pure.ttf
3. Now navigate to the Resource folder in memory card’s Root ( for example if M: is memory card , navigate to M:/Resource , if its not there, create one)
4.Now create a Folder called Fonts in M:/Resource ( So the folder path should be M:/Resource/Fonts )
5.Now this is the most important step :
Make four copies of the font you have and rename the same font to the corresponding filenames. ( for example: if you have helvetica(01).ttf rename it to nosnr60.ttf , like wise rename others to respective filenames given below )
6. After you have renamed to the above filenames, Copy them to the Fonts folder In M:/Resource/Fonts.
Now reboot the phone and enjoy your new fonts
Update : It works for Nokia E7 too, just use mass memory instead of memory card.
Again , if you cannot understand the above tutorial , do check out the full detailed tutorial here
Some screenshots, and limitations explained :
The limitations, for now , the only Pure font available for download is the webfont which does not include certain symbols , for example :
So, similar icons like space bar and other display just boxes or some garbage value. This is mainly because the font you downloaded is a web font which is not optimized for our devices. Also in list view, like in messages and contacts and wherever list is implemented, the font is slightly bolder.Example here :
Again all this trouble attributes the fact that it is indeed a webfont, not a mobile optimized font. I recommend setting the font size to small in the display settings.
One more problem is, the OS cannot read the fonts if your device is connected to the PC in mass storage mode( Your theme changes if u had installed that theme in mass memory, like wise applications turn into question marks ) but don’t worry , it will be all fine after removing the cable.
That’s it for now, do let us know if you have any trouble installing the fonts.
Quick trouble shooting guide :
- Make sure you have Qt 4.7. 2 installed. if you can run Kasvopus , you already have Qt 4.7.2.
- Make sure you give correct names for the fonts in the M:/Resource/Fonts directory.
- Always double check the tutorial if you get any error
- Do not forget to reboot once,after installation of Qt 4.7.2, also again,after the copying of those fonts.
Via Nokia Brandbook
About the Author (Author Profile)Hi there, thanks for reading my post ! Am passionate about mobile devices especially Nokia, just like you ! Follow me on Twitter(@bharadc23) if you want quicker updates of my interests. We at MyNokiaBlog have twitter and facebook accounts too : Follow @mynokiablog and facebook.com/MyNokiaBlog. Tip us : tips(@)mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- Font: Nokia Pure | March 27, 2011
- Die neue Schrift „Pure“ nutzen « S60inside | March 28, 2011
- Nokia Pure | Change to Nokia Pure font now! [Tutorial included] : My Nokia Blog | Hardywise | March 28, 2011
- Nokia Pure, now with more purity « Off the record - Craig Box | March 28, 2011
- How to Update to Nokia Pure Font | March 30, 2011
- Changer la police de votre téléphone Symbian^3 (Nokia Pure ou autre) | March 30, 2011
- HowTo install the new Nokia Pure font with Qt 4.7.2 | mobilelivingroom.de | Font | March 30, 2011
- My Nokia Pure Around in The World | Art4Symbian | March 30, 2011
- Problem mit OVI Store,beim Fontwechsel.. | April 20, 2011
- Belle Style update for S40? : My Nokia Blog | June 13, 2011
- Episode 67 – Tim rettet die Show » Google, iOS-App, Motorola, Tipps » Podcast macpcnux.net | August 19, 2011
- Nokia N9 Fonts | October 19, 2011
- How to Update to Nokia Pure Font | Blog intoGsm | December 1, 2011
- Nokia 808 PureView – My Impressions So Far | KARTHIK82.COM | July 8, 2012
- Schick: Pure – die neue Systemschrift von Nokia | Symbianlounge | July 12, 2012