Video: Nokia Sleeping Screen from Nokia Beta Labs/Nokia Research Center #N8 #C6-01 #E7 #C7

| March 31, 2011 | 29 Replies

One of the really nice features in Symbian^3 is the AMOLED screen can always show the time even when the screen is locked (or you can have some other screensaver).

I find this incredibly useful – when checking the time, I can just glance without unlocking. It will also show any notifications, like missed call or new messages. At night or first thing in the morning, there’s no struggle to find my phone as there’s light shining just where the numbers are showing. Being AMOLED this doesn’t eat up too much battery (though you can completely disable v. quickly by putting in power saving mode). I really miss this and find the plain black screen annoying on my Omnia7.

Nokia Beta Labs are taking this always on screen a little further with “Nokia Sleeping Screen”. Check out the whole family of Symbian^3 devices with it.

Nokia Sleeping Screen makes your phone stand out from the crowd by painting beautifully crafted images on the sleeping screen.

It is not only about aesthetics – Nokia Sleeping Screen is highly useful, too. With just a glimpse you’ll be able to see missed calls, unread text messages, and reminders presented with clear icons and animations.

Nokia Sleeping Screen gives you an enjoyable view to sleeping phone while it maintains the battery operating time of your phone.

Available for Symbian^3 phones, such as C6-01, C7-00, N8-00, and E7-00. Nokia Sleeping Screen has been verified on latest S^3 SW versions and is known to work with the latest Qt versions 4.6.4 and 4.7.2.

Nokia Sleeping Screen is a product of Nokia Research Center.

Happy tuning!

Features

* Personalization by selecting the appearance of the phone.
* Time & date always visible with a glimpse of the phone.
* Rich visual notifications of missed calls, sms, and calendar events.
* Night clock mode setting to dim the appearance for night period.
* Very clear battery charging indication with animation.
* Low power consumption, decreased even further by turning screen off when phone is covered, for example in a bag or your pocket << Nice.

Cheers Adam and blackidea for the tip!

Category: Applications, Cseries, Nokia, Video

1. Aaron says:

This kind of stuff is genius. I hope Nokia has more stuff like this up their sleeves for a future firmware update. I’m loving my N8 with every little experimental thing they come out with. Why are they abandoning Symbian again?

2. lifebloger says:

The Nokia Beta Labs is a very good initiative indeed !
    I wonder if it will disappear with the release of the WP7 Nokia phones…
    I suppose that it will !

• hary says:

I don’t think so, as I think that Nokia would like to make such unique apps for WP7 for Nokia phones at least.

3. Deaconclgi says:

The new beta labs website is nicely done!

4. satanlovesyou says:

It is awesome app! If they include Sleeping Screen and Bubbles in a firmware update that will be great!

5. stylinred says:

sigh i love nokia/symbian

such a shame they just started making so many strides and then Flop comes along

6. joe says:

The sensor with screen covered is not working for me.

7. inept says:

Wow, I saw this quite a while ago from a friend at Nokia and it’s been so long that I completely forgot about it – perhaps 12 weeks have passed. Taken a long time to come to fruition.

Anyway, it’s really cool. Now bring back Bubbles! :D

Beta Labs has got to be the best thing going on at Nokia right now.

8. James says:

Nice touch to an already great phone.

9. Mike Wilson says:

Absolutely Brilliant… Nokia Innovation at its best

I don’t think any other phone manufacturers out there have anything close to a useful feature like this. It’s annoying having to turn on the screen all the time to check the time or if you have a message.

I love using the Standby clock on my N8 to check time while it’s sitting on the desk.

It takes about 30 secs for the screensaver to turn off while the sensor is covered. Another great idea to save even more battery life.

10. Zak says:

awesome and very cool looking screensaver. Hope they come up with bunch of other cool stuff for symbian phones. and oh betalabs please give us the Ovi Chat with the yahoo videochat functionality =D

11. David says:

Brilliant little app, one suggestion would be alow us to customise the colours and size of the clock.

The best feature is using the sensor to darken the screen. “It makes sense”

NOTE: if you want to use the battery charging icon on it… instal it on the phone not mass memory.

12. Syed A says:

where have u been sleeping nokia?
    All of a sudden you come out with pure genius stuff!
    Situations,Bubbles and now this!now my iphone toting colleagues will envy me more :)

13. vlgr says:

great app. It doesn’t seem to affect battery life at all..

14. Zarsky says:

The recent Beta Labs has been very original and impressive!
    Where has all this innovation been for so long?

15. blackidea says:

Big screen, bubble, sleeping screen was very nice apps.
    Where u can find apps like them on other os?
    Nowhere except symbian & meego with Qt!
    Nokia should use symbian as primary platform for smartphone.
    And use MeeGo for future platform and superphone.
    And with Qt,
    nokia have an ecosystem with unrivaled for 2011 and 2012 (not transition time to wp) with full Qt integration in core os and native apps.
    No need wp!
    No need burning platform bullshit!
    Just cook these apps into symbian and meego.
    Nokia can make a fluid & intuitive ux for these apps, so i think they can make an good ui too to replace s60 based style

16. deep space bar says:

hey jay, over here in canada we just got the 3rd symbianOS device on BELL canada it’s the Nokia C6-01

17. cgf says:

when will it be out of beta?

18. delanz says:

The mistake that is N97 has been corrected with beautiful hardware and genuis software under the Symbian^3 tree..

-Still using N97 as a backup phone, now on N8-00 full time.

19. h3csc says:

Nokia Betalabs, turns s60v5 user crazy since 2011

20. Amey says:

How to get/install Mobility qt and qt for C7?

As the Betalabs says “Download and use this Nokia Sleeping Screen installer only if you are clear that you have all preconditions met in your device and if you do not have network connections during installation (required by SmartInstaller).
    Preconditions: At least Qt 4.6.4 and Qt Mobility 1.0.2″

21. Schneider says:

What happened to Nokia Studio FX?

• Greg says:

you’re talking about this http://vimeo.com/13672837

A basic guide to the workings of FX Studio, an upcoming mobile and web-based application that allows people everywhere to add a range of Hollywood-quality special effects to their video clips.
      FX Studio is being produced by Framestore & Nokia.

they are working hard now ontthe development
      follow them on twitter http://twitter.com/FX_Studio

22. j.gray! says:

For some reason, the Qt version on my N8 is purportedly have been updated to 4.7.2. Is there any way to check it? It says so in the ‘About’ page of the Sleeping screen. As far as I remember I only have up to Qt 4.7.1 as I use TwimGo (not the latest). Maybe I’ll check by installing Kasvopus.