I’ve come across plenty of compass apps before on several platforms but this one’s the most useful for me because it overlays the compass over a map. This can be centered either at your position or anywhere. The compass will rotate the map around you so it’s easy to get your bearings as roads/streets are aligned with what you see.
Nokia maps used to do this (though only if centered at your position). You can change the compass styles and even remove the map if you just wanted the compass itself. Apparently it’s even more responsive on gyro enabled 900. As can be seen in the video, it is very responsive and accurate. At times you may need calibration (which is that simple 8 figure swing).
Compass is a beautiful, free, and easy-to-use compass for your Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango). It allows you to pick a theme from one of the available themes to customize it to your liking.
NOW with Gyroscope sensor support to improve real-time motion detection. NOTE: Gyroscope is not required for the Compass to function though you would get better responsiveness in case the phone has one.
- Enhancing fluency even further
- Supporting Gyroscope to improve real-time motion detection (tested on Samsung Focus S)
- Show map and compass as an overlay with support for both North-up and map-rotating modes
- Show your location on the map
- Improved smoothness and accuracy
- Displaying angle and heading
- Rotating compass face