Lumia Tips: Find your Nokia Lumia with Find My Phone, + Remote Ring/Lock/Erase

| August 14, 2012 | 10 Replies

I’ve been meaning to film this a long while ago and I’ve finally got around to it this morning. In the video I show some useful remote features (not all, will demo remote app install another time) where you can find your phone’s very precise location, ring it, lock it and erase it.

You might have a situation where you’ve lost your phone or had it stolen. You can use Find My Phone on WindowsPhone.com to locate your phone on the map. Remote ring is useful if you know where it is but have just misplaced it. You could ring it with another phone, but if you haven’t got one, you can ring it remotely. Other two features I haven’t tried out myself is remote Lock and remote Erase – wiping your phone’s contents so no one else will get it.

It’s been a while since I did set this up so I forgot to mention it in my video. You’ll have to enable this feature by going to

1. Settings>Find My Phone. You’ll then get some instructions to authorise this.
  2. Go on WindowsPhone.com and under your name (once signed in) click accounts
  3. Click the Find my Phone
  4. From here you can find your phone, or give it a ring, remotely lock or erase

You can get email notifications when your phone is found. There are additional settings that make ‘Find My Phone’ work faster, but it does warn that it might use more battery. The map location can be very precise. Not just down to the street but the position in your house/building etc.

Additional uses for this include spying/tracking. Ha. Actually you could use it to keep an eye on where your kids are going.

Tags:

Category: Nokia

1. shabarish ail (@s_ail) says:

Well it doesnt seem to be available in India.. we have only got ring , lock and erase feature… we cannot locate the phone on a map… :(

2. Martins says:

Nice features. But once your sim card is removed thgere is not much you can do. I know it very well, because my lumia 800 was stolen in Airport and with all those options I just could find my phone.

3. FireDragon says:

Going off the topic, this is post just now.

Nokia Philippines
    The Filipino spirit is waterproof. The Nokia X2 is BULLETPROOF. Read the story of how it stopped a bullet and saved a man’s life. http://mynokiablog.com/2012/08/12/nokia-x2-vs-bullet-a-life-saved-and-x2-a-real-hero/

4. Michael Faro-Tusino says:

I used it to track my mum, to plan a surprise party for her

5. jerome says:

thats very handy function

• jerome says:

I wonder why Nokia did not bought the dutch company Track&Protect i think their app is a must have for every smartphone in my opinion

6. David Yates says:

Hi – really need to question the validity of Find my Phone functionality on my son’s Nokia Lumia 620. He left his phone at a friend’s house a couple of days ago but as we knew where it was (and was being looked after by the friend’s mum in the house) we thought we’d try out the feature as a ‘test run’. We knew the functionality worked at home perfectly well (confirming its location in our front room !) but in this case, it located it almost half a mile away. We’re in a well connected city but pinpointing its location to a completely wrong road and post code gives me no confidence whatsoever if I had to put it to the test on a ‘real’ case scenario. Very disappointing …

7. nitin says:

Hi sir I m use my phone nokia lumia 800 but it stolen in metro in delhi so how can I find my ph pls tell sir

8. Miz says:

Sometime I lost my keys and phone. When I am in too hurry and I had to find them that time I felt so angry with myself. Device finder is best solution for this I think. It’s very easy to use with Bluetooth connectivity.phone location finder

9. xolani soni says:

i lost my phone nokia lumia 610 , i would be happy if i can track it caise i need its back