Video: CAMERA BATTLE! iPhone 5 vs Nokia Lumia 920 – Soldier’s Tech Battlefield

| November 28, 2012 | 22 Replies

Here we have a camera battle between the Nokia Lumia 920 and the iPhone 5.

The Nokia, even with its relatively limited camera options in comparison to the 808, is still superior in comparison to iPhone 5 according to this video. Front camera performance as well as rear camera is given to iPhone – surprisingly for having less saturated colours and better in low light. Seems like bizzaro world to be in that situation, no? As for the lens flaring, I get that on all my Nokias when there’s something on the camera glass.

The iPhone 5 did a pretty good job. Perhaps Nokia needs to tone down the colours slightly? It was weird to see earlier comparisons crowning iPhone for its “wonderful” saturated colours that users love but now, the iPhone is less saturated, it’s all about having more “natural” colours (Which people are just going to maul in instagram back to oversaturation anyway). Or perhaps Nokia just overdid the saturation?

I am concerned with the continuous refocusing on the 920. It does mean that its continuous AF is ridiculously fast but I don’t like that pulsing sensation it appears to give.

My camera experience with the 920 is that it’s been great. I don’t find it to be consistently over saturated, but it does occur, giving a warm tone. It’s a breath of fresh air over the 800/900. Any time I take the camera out to take a picture, I get something worth saving. Any performance tweaks welcome though; reduce saturation perhaps, fix sharpness/focusing…

by

Category: Lumia, Nokia

1. Doug says:

The only thing going for Nokia nowadays is its PureView technology. Windows Phone sucks!

• Iva Biggun says:

That reply is really constructive. Can we move on from Windowsphone sucks it is getting really boring.

• Ajit says:

Windows phone sucks, Big time! THere.. is that better?

• Jay Montano says:

Your antagonistic trolling comments is not welcome on this blog, Ajit.

• Ajit says:

You keep calling me a troll but want to turn a blind eye at what Elop is doing to Nokia now… He’s slowly poisoning it… Now the latest victim is Damian Dinning…

You’ll see the fate of Nokia under Elop hands soon… He is not a good guy for Nokia, thats for sure….

And besides my comments are FOR NOKIA! I am passionate about this brand…. You guys will never understand until Elops done with his work…

• Jay Montano says:

I did not call you a troll. I called your comment prior to this one antagonistic and trolling for which it was. Don’t act all high and mighty here as if your insulting comment is for the benefit of Nokia. If what you think you are doing is for the benefit of Nokia, I’d rather it go without your support.

• Ajit says:

I dont have to defend myself on what I have said, I have been blogging since 2006 on Nokia phones… I was even featured by Ed on e-series.org… But due to my work I couldnt continue to blog, my blog still exists though… I know in my heart that I want the good of Nokia, thats it…

• nabkawe says:

Windows Phone 8 rules … Go buy a Jolla phone if you don’t like it. :)

2. ndeep4318 says:

what was that app that he used for recognsing book cover and capture texts of book

3. kan says:

Fair review. So after touting its camera brilliance Lumia falls flat. Dinning left or was he pushed?

Seems like Nokia shipped great hardware but let down by software.

Perhaps a software update can alter the post processing images.

4. Andrew_b says:

Jay, it’s possible you need to review the punctuation of the first two sentences in you second paragraph, starting: The Nokia – even…

• Andrew_b says:

Replace:

With:
      The Nokia (even with its relatively limited camera options in comparison to the 808) is still superior in comparison to iPhone 5. According to this video, front camera performance as well as rear camera is given to iPhone – surprisingly for having less saturated colours and better in low light.

5. ms.nokia says:

seems like the 920 needs a software update for it camera,

6. WhiteAdy says:

This is a FAKE BS! Don’t believe it! I tried them both myself and the 920′s camera beats iPhone5′s camera big time. Both in bright daylight and low light. Watch other video samples of the 920 on YouTube and see the difference… I can’t believe that he actually managed to ruin the 920′s camera quality so much that it made it worse than that icrap… iPhone handles nighttime videos and photos better? SRSLY?!? I cant imagine how much oil and smudge he put on 920′s lens to actually make so much lens flaring. This guy is a huge Apple fanboy btw, and his reviews are always biased. Jay please share with us your honest 920′s camera review soon and show that fanboy liar how much “lens flare” does the 920 make with a CLEAN camera.

7. Weirdfisher says:

Never thought iphone could stack up with nokia in terms of camera quality

8. dss says:

I said this months ago.. as soon as they published that white paper on “phase 2″ it was pretty obvious that the 920 will be on par with most smartphones out there, but not better.. there is only that much you can do with a 1/3″ sensor. Apple are extracting more out of it during the day, Nokia are doing the same at night.. that is all.

As a camera package.. I will always take the 920. OIS for video + the HAAC mics are more than enough to pick it over the iphone 5. The sound recording on the 5 is pathetic, so is the flash at night.

9. joza2006 says:

it is obviously the best all round camera on the phone. Or at least it will be once that sw update resolves these few issues.
    - IOS
    - Android
    - BlackBerry
    - Bada
    - Tizen
    - Symbian
    - Meego
    There’s plenty to chose from if you don’s like WP.

10. Xavier says:

Im curious about those “light problems” he mentions the Nokia 920 has at night. Those flares are very commonly caused by smudges in the lens of the camera. It can happen to any phone if you pass a dirty finger over the lens. i wonder if this is what actually happened?