Last Symbian shipments this summer

| June 11, 2013 | 89 Replies

Red Nokia 808 PureView(49) Red Nokia 808 PureView(48) Red Nokia 808 PureView(51) Red Nokia 808 PureView(50) Red Nokia 808 PureView(52) Red Nokia 808 PureView(53)

FT.com reports that Nokia will stop shipping Symbian devices this summer. The Nokia 808 PureView was the last device Nokia had worked on with Symbian.

Full force now on WP (but then also Asha, which they kinda have to tinker with but possibly not to the same extent)

Nokia may still support Symbian up to 2016 with updates and such.

Source: FT.com.

Cheers AucraRLX for the tip!

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Symbian, Windows Phone

1. Raj says:

So I should really get my 808 before they run out. I hoping to get it by end of summer. But looks like I will have to change my plan.

• dss says:

I heard that they stopped production around December of last year.

• Rio says:

25th January was the particular date Nokia announced that – they are not going to make any Symbian phone further. Now, here comes the news of Nokia stopping shipment. Whether the phones produced in January-February takes this much time to ship out? We can’t find any 808 in the shops now. All the reps say that it is no longer in production. We are really clueless about this.

• megapack162 says:

Mine’s on its way, currently at Heathrow in UK customs.

2. nokiaaa says:

so this is the end :(

• Marc Aurel says:

It was always known that EOS will replace the 808. All other Symbian devices stopped shipping at the end on 2012. Or should I say the 500 stopped shipping, since the others seem to have been discontinued already in Q3 2012.

This pretty much confirms that EOS will be announced some time during the summer and it will probably be available before the end of Q3.

By the way, I don’t believe the 808 was the last device Nokia worked on with Symbian, but obviously it became the last device that was finalized and launched. In 2011 there were very clear signs of other devices being developed, and Elop himself said after the Q1 2012 results (which showed massive drop in Symbian sales exceeding normal seasonal variations) that they had accelerated the transition. That was corporate speech for canceling the last generation of Symbian devices in the pipeline.

• xconomicron says:

• tom2345 says:

The problem is that 920 doesn’t help Nokia, and any other EOS doesn’t help too. Many people forget that Nokia lost 9/10 clients so far (from Q1 2011). In 2010 there were more than 50% rise of new clients. Many companies prefer symbian, and shipment of symbian phones has been halted in Q4 or Q3 2012. We wanted few hundreds E6 in December 2012, but shipment has been halted earlier – information from the carrier. Does anybody listen to clients in Nokia?

• beelzebub says:

Yes, not saying that Nokia should have stuck w/ Symbian but they jumped ship a little too fast. How could Elop have thought that Symbian sales would have declined slower than they did? He basically announced that it was dead. The fact that Win sales are slow to rise shows that those faithful followers went to another OS. If they had only kept working on Symbian for a few more years while Windows got off the ground …

• dss says:

Most went with the spyware, but now even iOS7 is starting to look like an alternative to Symbian.

There is also BB10, which is in fact the closest you will get to Symbian on a kernel level.

• Marc Aurel says:

Why would you care about kernel level? I have been using Linux on the desktop since before KDE and Gnome even existed, and yes it was sometimes painful, but never stopped me from enjoying Linux. Does that mean that I should automatically choose Android? (The other Linux-based alternatives being still unavailable in practice.)

I agree that BB10 looks like a good alternative from a purely technical and UI point of view, but there are issues with availability where I live. BBs also tend to be rather expensive.

• titania says:

Ignoring the OS, the thing I miss mos about Symbian over Lumia is the variety of styles they had. The Lumias have a strong family resemblance whereas Symbians were all over the map from the sleek & professional N8 to the high-tech sci-fi looking X7.

• matthew says:

REALLY expensive.

• dss says:

Good thing they managed to ship the 808… it would’ve been such a waste to can the project. I am glad Elop couldn’t get to it earlier..

• steelicon says:

Someone made up an acronym meaning of Nokia EOS = Nokia End Of Symbian. :(

• lalaland says:

actually people wtill buy symbian phones…and nokia push WP so hard! a lot still choose the good old symbian over WP..

nokia didn’t even cut the price of their 2010 N8, 2011 701 and others. still on the same price. while the lumia phones, they are getting price cut (in my country, nokia lumia 900 is only 20,000 philippine pesos, the lumia 820 at 13,000 while 701 still at 16,000, the N8 is also 16,000. also the MeeGo N9 is at 25,000! they dont cut the price of these magnificent devices)

• BIGBNE says:

NO TODAY PEOPLE ARE BUYING NOKIA LUMIAS WINDOWS PHONES OVER DEAD SYMBIANS.

• GordonH says:

Nice logic /s
          Announce/strangle/kill/cripple a product and then shout aloud that customers are not buying it.
          Karma’s a bitch … it’ll bit back WP one day.

• GordonH says:

Tell me when I go wrong on this statement. It’s been over 2 years and it still stands .

“All Nokia products that compete against MS products will be strangled, killed or crippled. MS will not allow anything in Nokia to compete against or threaten it’s products.”

3. ron says:

its great that Symbian bids farewell with one of the best phones, the best exemplifying display, THE BEST CAMERA OBVIOUSLY, and ofcourse the best brand !!!

• v.s.i says:

Amen to that. Because of old times mismanagement, Symbian has to go, but at least it puts up a mighty last stand. I know I’ll never forget the Nseries – for me, the world’s very best smartphones, light, stylish and feature-packed for their time (well, apart from the N97).

I fondly remember swiveling displays and rotating cameras. Imagine an Eos with those. Legendary music quality with N91. Even a MAME port on my N81, which WP doesn’t yet have :P. Titanic imaging. Multitasking to infinity.

Yes… Nokia was big in the 2000s. I hope that, one day history repeats itself.

4. gojia says:

Even if they stop shipping I imagine that there will be some lingering on Amazon for a while – there cannot be but so much demand in the US for this phone, especially after a year. Hopefully the price will also go down from the ~$400 current point … then I will have my last Symbian phone ever.

5. Deaconclgi says:

That 2nd pic of the 808 is amazing. The red 808 is simply gorgeous!!!! I have a white 808 and I took it out of its red case and showed it to my friend over video chat and she was upset that the phone looks so good. Her exact words were “WHAT PHONE IS THAT????????? Followed by “hmph, nobody cares if your phone l,oops better than mine!!! (Rolled her eyes)”

I laughed so hard!!!! All in her pixelated video chatted face! She has an iPhone 4S and like most people in the US, we are used to similar designs and nothing that stands out. The 808 with its curves, contrasting lines and colors stands out and immediately evokes the “What phone is that????” Question because people have never seen anything like it, especial from the backside view.

Well Symbian, you went out in top form, the best that you have ever been.

• Deaconclgi says:

Looks…not l,oops….blasted iPad keyboard/user error ;)

• wiishesh says:

Exactly.. I m fed up with all these flat n slim looking devices. These devices, no matter what of materials they use, they all look like Motorola L6, L7 to me. I want 808 just for design and shape not for its capabilities or hp veer. At least I would hold something different than what others are holding..

• NCF says:

Same here! I feel like I’m the only one who has a Nokia 808 PureView in our city somewhere here in SE Asia. Exactly one year ago since I bought this phone and I still have to meet someone who has an 808. It’s crazy because I’m often at the mall and coffee shops and the first thing I look at a person is their phone and to this day I have yet to see another person using an 808! It makes me sad and at the same time I feel special for being one of the few people on earth who owns a Nokia 808.

There’s something more to the 808 than the camera. It’s the thought that you are using a device so special and so complete for an OS that has been around for over a decade. It’s definitely the perfect phone to close the show.

Bittersweet. :( <3

• NobleScarlet says:

I have only seen one other here in my city who owns an 808 (aside from my dad). Very rare though. People also say “what phone is that?” when they see mine. Other reactions were “what?! 64GB microSD?”, “built-in micro HDMI port?!” and “FM transmitter?!”

• dss says:

deaconclgi I know that you have a white one.. you should get a black cover for it.. I did get one for mine, and the black hump blends in nicely with the black cover.

Its also nice to have the option to switch :) I am thinking about getting a red back cover as well.

here is how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/nUsJmRO.jpg

• Deaconclgi says:

Thanks for the suggestion! Where did you buy the back cover? I’ve been trying to find a red back cover since I got my 808.

6. joyride says:

What about the 150M phones Elop promised to investors? Just one more thing to chalk up to how delusional Elop is/was with his Windows vision.

• Symbian was not responsibe for everything says:

Planned, not really promised. There is a difference.

The problem was that Nokia planned to sell 140 million low end Symbian phones and Android started to eat Symbian in the low end faster than anticipated.

The end of Symbian sales was pretty much Android’s fault. It was just too cheap and too good.

• Marc Aurel says:

And of course, Elop publicly badmouthing and EOL’ing Symbian had nothing to do with it… ;-)

• Bye bye says:

Elop badmouthing Symbian had very little to do with collapsing sales. Elop’s memo was in tech blogs and the regular customers hardly even knew about Elop talking about it.

The biggest issue was Android becoming too cheap.

• tom3256 says:

28 mln record in Q4 2010 (N8 – increased profit, and sales record), and then collapse without any reason? Wake up. The sale depends on carriers, when you do everything to scary them, your sales drop as fast as possible. I’ve never seen symbian sale decline before Elop. The android was winner, but symbian position was stronger than BB OS or WP. Elop badmouthing destroyed Nokias market position. WP becomes stronger that symbian for Q4 2012 (1.5 year of destroying symbian position, and clients still wanted symbian instead of WP, how do you want to explain it?), but remember Nokia stopped shipment of many of popular symbian phone last year, and there were no successors.

• Janne says:

February 11th did hurt Symbian sales somewhat, of that I’m sure. How much? Hard to say. I think February 11th EOL of Symbian was a mistake. Symbian should have been EOLled but differently. It would have fared better for a quarter or few, however Symbian would have failed (like BB7) quite soon anyway.

Symbian had lost the high-end and Symbian^3 was not winning it back. MeeGo was not a direct replacement for high-end Symbian either, nor was Symbian^4, because both were incompatible with Symbian^3 software (most of which was not Qt yet). In any case, Nokia was looking to start with a new ecosystem. The question then became, which ecosystem would be the best to replace Symbian^3. I think MeeGo could have worked, but that’s pretty moot by now.

But Symbian^3 was failing fast and hard. S60v5 and low-end Symbian sales were propping the numbers, until the apocalypse that is cheap Android hit.

Really, blaming it all on February 11th or the strategy that followed would be insanity. In 2010 Nokia had fired its CEO and lost all Symbian partners (except one Japanese company) because Symbian just was not cutting it.

• joyride says:

BB7 was bigger than Windows Phone until last quarter with NO NEW DEVICES! And Symbian towered over BB7.

• Peter L says:

1) Burning platform memo was a leak – it was NEVER intended to be public like that. Symbian was not supposed to be publicly scrutinized like that.

2) Q1 2011 results were not affected at all by the strategy shift announcement. It happened way too late for that (device shipment deals already made and signed up till March).

Q1 2011 decline was the final turning point and Symbian started to crash on it’s own.

• Janne says:

I do think “Elop badmouthing Symbian” has some truth to it, though. The memo was one thing (mistake in its own right) but during spring 2011 (including at the AGM) Nokia chose a deliberate strategy to discuss why they EOLled Symbian. I am firm believer of the notion that they didn’t have to do it like this. They could have executed differently. And I do think that discussion of Symbian not only Osbourned it, but indeed did, to an extent – to quote a famous Nokia analyst – Ratner it. And this discussion hurt Symbian’s sales to the channel and to an extent consumer and media perception. This was all avoidable with a different strategy, even if that would have eventually morphed into the situation we have now.

That said, the end-result of that was far less than some make it out to be. Symbian was toast, just like BB7. The new offerings were just too competitive and it would have fallen on its own too. Just a little slower.

• Peter L says:

They “chose” to discuss it because there was no other option left anymore. Press had been discussing it so much there had to be some official recognition of the situation from Nokia’s end too.

• Janne says:

I disagree, though. They could have decided to only replace high-end MeeGo with WP and played it from there. Symbian cards could have been left open until after Lumia was in sale.

• capedonut says:

I think that although the EOL:ing of Symbian didn’t affect end users perception of the OS directly, it certainly affected carriers and retailers

• Bye bye says:

I haven’t seen any proof that Elop’s memo resulted the collapse. It’s more likely that Nokia saw Android becoming too strong and decided to change strategy.

• zlutor says:

“Elop badmouthing Symbian had very little to do with collapsing sales.”

Even Elop himself admitted the damage in front of shareholders…

“Elop’s memo was in tech blogs and the regular customers hardly even knew about Elop talking about it.”

But operators DID care about it. After that memo Symbian was effectively a no go for any operator. No support, no ads, nothing…

• zlutor says:

And Android was attacking, of course…

• This was it says:

Most of the collapse happened very probably because of Android becoming too good.

Operators are not that interested to really push low end devices. In the end there were very few high end Symbian phones and even those were no match for Android or iOS devices.

7. Harangue says:

That 808 looks awesome in these pictures. That matte red, it looks so touchable and soft. I want that exact color on a Lumia, it looks damn nice. Also does a bang on job of hiding the thickness of the 808.

8. Grodelj says:

So long dear symbian..years spent with you were wonderful!

9. Derrek says:

The way I see it, if they will no longer ship the 808, then the EOS has to be launched this summer, or “in the coming weeks”, as Nokia loves to put it.

10. stylinred says:

end of an era to an OS that is still ahead of some of the competition sigh

11. sh says:

“Nokia had apparently said that it took them 22 months to get phones out with Symbian but less than a year with WP as they no longer have to tinker about with the deep-lying code and spend more time on elements that make a difference to experience.”. But it took 5 years to sell 10 milion specific wp device but the n8 took one year.
    Waiting for Nokia-Jolla to cooperate

12. Jason says:

I have N9 and Nokia already stopped support in terms of updates and such.

13. sbw44 says:

The back of the 808 looks way better than the leaked EOS! I would definitely buy a 808 like this running WP8 with the latest specs!

14. nn says:

Still depending on when the 808 Lumia variant is finally out, but with this can we say with confidence they didn’t start the work on it before last quarter of 2012?

Sure, they don’t seem to tinker with the OS code, deep or surface lying. And neither is anybody else. But I guess staying years behind competition is not a bug but feature.

• Marc Aurel says:

That is on average. I am pretty sure many of the Symbian devices with very similar specs to earlier phones did not take 22 months to develop, but some of the flagship devices may have taken longer than that.

Then again, Elop has been known to bend the truth (just look at the burning platform memo), so it’s quite possible that the 22 months is a number just for high end phones and the true average could be lower.

• Janne says:

22 months refers probably to the likes of N8 and N9 which were severely delayed?

And yes, Elop has been known to offer simplified arguments that can be misleading. Evaluating those goes to motive and understanding – were his motives benevolent and did he understand the big picture. If yes and yes, then he just communicated in simplified terms to get the message across. Or were his motives malevolent and/or understanding lacking (believing his own simplified version), in which case things are worse off.

We know everyone has made their own mind about that. :)

• nn says:

In other words Elop is fudging the facts so that they fit into his “big picture”.

Actually I can agree with that and it’s the main problem. Instead of updating/evaluating theories according to the incoming facts, he is ignoring/changing/inventing facts so they agree with his pre-existing theories. And he is not the only one doing this.

• Bye bye says:

Nokia started to work on N8 in 2007.

15. timpo says:

A part of me just died

16. Diazene says:

why not just release it as Open source, like webOS

• Marc Aurel says:

It was available as open source back in 2010, but nobody outside Nokia was really interested. They could of course release the latest versions and UI parts that were not open as open source now, but I don’t see Elop doing that, since he is a closed source man and has worked all his life in companies that worked with the traditional closed source model. Part of that mentality is keeping the source closed even after it has become obsolete “just in case” there was something in there that the company could still use. Microsoft for example has never opened the source of Windows 3.x or 9x/ME, although both are long obsolete in general use.

17. dss says:

This a good article on Symbian in 2013, and how it looks from a long time user..

18. steelicon says:

I’d hate to say this but it looks like my next Symbian phone is coming from Apple *sigh* :’-(

• Bye bye says:

Apple making Symbian phones? I that will never happen.

I fail to understand your point.

Did Apple add more features than you anticipated?

19. Francis says:

Finally… last year i still dreaming Nokia will release 1 or 2 high end Symbian Phone, but now seem this dream was long gone.

WP needs to be improved faster. The current generation of WP8 is poorly perform, and the minimalism concept is not at the acceptable level. The Metro UI is been proven not popular and required revamp. Most of the criticism now is on WP OS but not Nokia’s Hardware, whereas in Symbian time both OS and Hardware was under fire.

For those don’t like WP than this is right time for you to move forward. IMO, Samsung S4, Note 2 and HTC One is a good buy and most likely you wont disappointed. If you like WP Metro UI or just because you love Nokia so much, please buy Lumia to support them, even you just put the phone in shelf ! Nokia present CEO needs full support (not just talking only and no buy !) from you to continue current strategy and get through this difficult time, otherwise it will be worse for Nokia for time to come.

My self had chosen SG Note 2 as my main phone now (very satisfied and will buy Note 3 too), and 808 as second and camera phone. Seem iOS7 also not too bad, may consider replace the 808 once next iPhone using 13Mpix or better camera.

Cheers !

20. Janne says:

RIP Symbian. You were great for a time. 808 is the most fitting send-off imaginable. Now it is best to let others carry the torch forward. :)

21. Grendell says:

Symbian has been a part of my life since the 2110 first attracted me with its awesome looks and its text messaging. I’ve always had a nokia with me throughout. From the times I passed pllaying snake and watching movies to those fun times texting with my girlfriends. Sending and receiving files and sharing them via bluetooth, radio or big screen. Emergencies, joyous moments, important life changing calls and text messages and taking pictures with the one camera you always had on you. Fun moments while engaged were capture by my Nokia which also served as a back up camera (I lent to the photographers at my wedding). Two of them liked it so much that they bought their own. My two sons also came into this world under the watchful eye and faithful recording of my trusty N8. They both developed in the womb while my xm5800 played classical music perched atop my wife’s belly. An 808 is now capturing precious images of my two sons day to day antics while the N8 acompanies me out pf town for work with its invaluable joikuspot to keep me tethered to my family via facetime. Even those few times I strayed from Nokia’s products were still with the SE P800 and SE P900. Too many memories with Symbian and many still more to come. Here’s hoping Nokia can create something that will again complement my life the way their Symbian devices do.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

• Janne says:

Grendell:

Nokia 2110 wasn’t Symbian. 2110 is the predecessor of Series 30, which is not Symbian – it has many names but I guess many call the OS just “Nokia OS”. (7110 was the first Series 40 phone, again which are not Symbian either.) Series 30 and Series 40 are today known as the Nokia 1xx and 2xx and Asha line of phones – and still go strong. The “Nokia OS” was developed by Nokia internally and has nothing to do with Symbian.

The first Symbian from Nokia was 9210 Communicator in 2001 and the first Symbian smartphone the 7650 in 2002. Symbian is based on EPOC, developed by Psion, and was not dweveloped by nor originally owned by Nokia although Nokia much later bought it.

22. Asert says:

So goodbye Nokia then! You were my trusted supplier of mobiles almost all my life, it is a pity you have retired. You should learn from Microsoft how they were carrying for their system, no meter how hopeless it is – they will prey for it. Perhaps you could use their experiences, not necessary system, Nokia’s system were better.

23. playboy says:

Its really sad tat nokia is dng this…they should have continued Symbian is lower models instead of stupid s40 wic they using in asha series…Its funny the 1st best smartfone OS SYMBIAN is still the best till date in days of ios,android,windows and all and I started with Symbian frm 7650 days till now iam using Nokia 808 as my main fone then note 2 and using bb 9900 for bbm wic I will chuck wen bbm is launched in android…I knew one day 808 will go out of stock..so I got another 808..808 is true collectors item..Love Symbian for ever…imagine wat nokia gave us many years ago…iphone and android r giving us now…If u see android is a full copy of Symbian just with lot of app support…all Symbian needed was developer support with quality apps and more publicity by Nokia…still ppl r amazed how good nokia 808 is…iam gonna use it for longtime for sure..The only lumia iam interested in is Nokia EOS wic will have 808 camera in it with latest quality apps…I hope nokia can change windows to match Symbian time usability…Symbian will always live coz we will keep using them…thinking of buying one more 808 wat say ppl…3 808 in the kitty…

24. Athletes and Bodybuilders – buying Steroids Online
    is made easy at Doping Service – your No Prescription
    Drugstore. Buy Domestic Steroids, Body Building Steroids,
    Anabolic Steroids, Dianabol Steroids. We ship discreetly,
    internationally, secure checkout

sustanon steroid, buy domestic usa steroids,
    online steroid supplier, buy anabolic steroids
    online body builder, musclediscussion, buy axio labs,
    Doctor Prescribed Steroids, http://www.Dopingservice.com,