This video was made a couple of days ago and was initially just to show Mauku running on the N900. It’s a very simple, fast and easy to use twitter application, getting you to your twitter feed and sending out tweets quickly – respond/retweet and check out other people’s posted links.
To get Mauku,
- Go to the App Manager
- Click Downloads
- You’ll find Mauku either from “Internet & Networking” category or from “All”
- Just click “Mauku”, check “I understand and agree” and “continue” (Another great thing about the N900 and Maemo 5 is that it’s so easy to install an application. No deciding whether to install on Memory card, phone or mass memory, or having to accept certificate after certificate…Click install – Done.)
Whilst it’s fantastic that the N900 can load up websites like your computer does (check out N900 with YouTube – just fantastic!), some sites like twitter.com do need a little work around for mobile and the smaller screen.
Mauku is great for getting your tweets out quickly on the go and interacting with your feeds, but it doesn’t offer the same functionality as Nokia’s favourite Twitter app: Gravity. E.g.
- cannot view replies from people you don’t follow
- cannot view direct messsages
- cannot twitter search
- cannot upload photos.
- cannot have drafts
I’d love to see Gravity for the N900 or Perhaps another Twitter App, perhaps an updated Mauku or a new one that offers the same functionality as Mauku.
Whilst we wait, because the N900 does have a powerful browser, it can load web clients for twitter. So it’s just a case of how well the site is optimized to be as simple and intuitive a user experience as possible.
- Mark Guim from The Nokia Blog showed us Hahlo, which looks great on the N900. It’s one of my desktop bookmarks now.
- TwitHive and twitter gadget are a couple more examples.
Do you know a better web client for twitter that’s better than Hahlo?