New Firmware for Nokia N8/Symbian^3 PR1.1 coming in a couple of weeks? New Browser?

| November 17, 2010 | 89 Replies

Your N8 may be receiving a firmware update in a couple of weeks time according to resident Nokia guru alex68

That’s the same guy who’s shown us the new browser, dragable homescreen and portrait QWERTY keyboard (as well as other Nokia info). So he’s seated himself quite a reputation.

Currently we’re on firmware 1.0. But look at the comment on Andre’s post yesterday about Engadget Editor In Chief being saved by the Nokia N8 (above screenshot):

Alex68 doesn’t want to spoil all the secrets, but he does mention that the new update will bring:

If you guys don’t believe my “by the year end”, wait and see…

• Alex says don’t expect anything revolutionary in this update yet.

The Major N8 update might be the one coming next year. (Which Alex adds will bring lots of themes)

So what do you think the other “secrets” maybe? :p

So two weeks. .That’s around early December (1st in fact, from today but around that day because it doesn’t mean EXACTLY a couple of weeks). Alex notes that the E7 will have the new firmware at release (which is also expected to be December 2010, further strengthening the notion of a firmware update before the year’s end).

Whilst you’re here, why not also check out http://mynokiablog.com/symbian-features-wishlist/

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Nokia, Symbian

1. Aaron says:

I’d absolutely KILL to see a Maemo-esque theme on N8. To me, Maemo 5 is easily the most jaw-droppingly gorgeous OS I’ve ever seen…it’s a shame Nokia isnt duplicating its looks everywhere…

2. Jonofthon says:

Hi Alex,

Other than some of the previously mentioned ideas, I would also like to see support for movies to be shot at 24fps to really get the cinematic effect to my home made videos. If possible i would also love much fast film speeds too, 60fps for example as I would love to shoot slow-mo videos. The original LG viewty had this and I thought it was a great feature!

Jon

3. gruik says:

According to dailymobile.se this is the next changes:

* removed Show open applications from the top of menus
    * disabled Charging notes
    * removed FM transmitter on/off notifications
    * bluetooth stays on when switching to offline mode
    * added fixed FileBrowser S^3 (full access to filesystem) **
    * Lock screen and keyboard replaced by Reboot phone
    * starup tone and mbm animation moved to C drive
    * my own installserver for installing unsigned with all capabilities

here http://dailymobile.se/2010/11/16/nokia-n8-first-modded-firmware-cfw-is-here/

• Emmanuel says:

gruik :According to dailymobile.se this is the next changes:
      * removed Show open applications from the top of menus* disabled Charging notes* removed FM transmitter on/off notifications* removed Leave offline mode query to access network. Only for power key event! ** bluetooth stays on when switching to offline mode* added fixed FileBrowser S^3 (full access to filesystem) *** built-in File manager can see sys, resource and edit private folders. also can see root of C drive.* Lock screen and keyboard replaced by Reboot phone* starup tone and mbm animation moved to C drive* my own installserver for installing unsigned with all capabilities

As said on dailymobile.se these are changes for an un-official mod, not for the upcoming PR 1.1

• benzas says:

guys!! all those changes are in N8 modded firmware by CODeRUS

so it is not an official fw update.

4. Iain Coleman says:

Well, again I was sent an MMS yesterday at 8pm.

Today I thought my phone had been quiet for a while, so I cycled the power and suddenly 12 unread SMS and MMS messages magically appeared in my inbox!

<<<>>>

What’s the point of having a phone that can’t perform the basic functions properly?

• jogo says:

Same thing I have noticed. Also lots of other bugs, email appication is hanging and such.

I want three things in the 1.1 release: (prioritized)

1: Stability updates
      2: stability updates
      3: stability updates

And I hope they let the stability updates keep coming after too, and not go silent until the 2.0 release. The phone needs to be stable. I’ve har the interface freeze on incoming calls, so I coouldn’t answer it. That’s what I call annoying.

5. Iain Coleman says:

There was supposed to be text in those brackets.

The point I am trying to make is that the basic functions need to be fixed as a priority before the developers even think of looking at making cosmetic changes.

I’m surprised that Nokia have even let this phone out with such a major bug. (if you don’t know what i’m talking about, see my post from yesterday).

• Clint says:

Iain are you certain this is not a problem related to your network? I often get delayed MMSs and it is a common thing on the network I use here in SA. It seems strange that there has not been much talk from others experiencing this problem.

• Iain Coleman says:

Positive, this is a problem with the phone. The phone is receiving the messages, but doesn’t display or notify you of them. I have tested this theory by sending an SMS to my phone while it was in that condition with delivery reports turned on. I got the report confirming that my device had received the message, but no notification. I have also tested that sending an MMS to my phone stops incoming SMS notifications and have been able to reprodce the result repeadedly.

• Andre says:

I’ve had a similar bug happen to me on my 5800.

Turned out there was an application that I’d installed at some point that messed up my phone quite a bit.
          Only after hard-resetting did it work properly again. And attempting to restore the back-up file that you make will only bring back the problem.

Often times these sorts of bugs are due to user mistakes as opposed to firmware bugs tbf.

Catalog the programs that you’ve installed on the phone, copy all relevant files, contacts etc off the phone and perform a full-on wipe.

Install one-by-one to determine which is causing the problem.

NB the app causing the issue is likely to be an incorrectly written S^1 app

• Iain Coleman says:

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the advice.

I’m an IT professional by trade, and have already performed the steps necessary to eliminate the possibility of it being a third party app. The testing I have done clearly shows this is a bug in the firmware, even when it has had no additional software installed.

Try this yourself. (I’d be interested to see if it happens on all N8s).

Get another phone capable of sending MMS.

Send an MMS to your N8.

Wait 10 minutes. You should have received it by now. Have you?….I didn’t.

Now sent an SMS to your N8. If the sending phone and network support it (in my case I used an N95 on Orange UK). Enable delivery reports.

Wait another 10 minutes. Have you received the SMS on the N8? Did you get a delivery report on the sending device?…..In my case, I didn’t receive the SMS on the N8, but DID get a delivery report on the N95.

Now, reboot the N8.

Do you have any messages now?….In my case, I had 3. The MMS I sent, the SMS I sent, and one other from a friend who happened to text me while I was doing this test.

Just to note, I did the test with a totally clean phone. No additional software or any changes to configuration had been done. It was completely default.

If anyone does do this test, I would really appreciate if you posted the results here just to see how many people this problem is affecting.

Cheers

Iain :)

6. Daniel Valdivia says:

Hi Iain:
    Im with the same problem and i agree with you.
    I think Nokia has to fix all the basic functions as a priority.
    My n8 cant display SMS notifications i dont know why. Its very annoying. And its not just the SMS or MMS but the emails too.
    Sometimes i have to open my emails (hotmail and gmail) twice to get them as read.. i think there is something wrong with email client. Sometimes i dont get my emails so i have to so a manual sync (even when i choose the soonest option).
    Im glad im not the only one with the problem and i hope Nokia fix this bugs in the next update.
    Sorry for my english.

Daniel V.

7. Adesh Patil says:

A customizable Equalizer in the music player should also be included in the new firmware..the older music edition phones used to have that…its really irritating not to have the equalizer..

8. Mario says:

The portrait T9 keyboard seems to have an issue with getting up the question mark.

9. Nitish Kumar says:

I hate to say this but finally Elex was wrong and Eldar was right. Nokia is sure that slow as Eldar says

• Jay Montano says:

Ha there’s still tomorrow :p

But seriously – it was supposed to come with E7 release, which was DEC 2010 according to not just Alex but Nokia themselves (albeit from twitter).

Maybe there’s more pressure to perfect the big firmware rather than release a little update just meet the December date.

It is disappointing – though as we’re nearly here, we’ll forget it. Remember the annoyance of waiting and waiting for Maemo 5 update? No? Well :D

• Nitish Kumar says:

Yeah mate… we so wanted Alex to be right but :(

Hope it fixes the following at least

1. Blank screen on receiving calls sometimes
        2. MMS Bug that keeps MMS in outbox in deffered state and couldn’t be removed.
        3. Sometimes it doesn’t get caller ids even if number is registered once. Probably due to ContactDS crashing.

Obviously, Camera, Browser, Portrait qwerty etc are among other things that we might be waiting for.

• Dexy says:

Most of them are resolved in the new version Symbian Anna version 022.014(PR 2.0)
          Its officially released today. You can update it through Nokia OVI Suit its available.

Haven’t explored completely running few test its seems to be working fine.

10. I liked as much as you’ll obtain carried out right here. The caricature is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you would like be delivering the following. unwell definitely come more formerly once more since precisely the similar nearly a lot continuously inside of case you defend this hike.