Nokia looking to push CDMA handsets??

| March 22, 2011 | 12 Replies

One of the questions asked of Nokia CEO Stephen Elop after the Capital Markets Day debacle was whether Nokia would be making a larger push towards selling handsets in North America. Many thought, rightfully, that Windows Phone 7 would be the vehicle to conquer that market and it looks like Nokia agrees. Forbes is reporting that Nokia is looking to not only deepen carrier relations in the US  as was evidenced by the attempted partnership with AT&T with the X7 and the recently announced Astound for T-Mobile, but to issue a number of CDMA devices with Windows Phone 7 in the coming years.

One of  interesting quote from the interview - “We will have high-end Windows smartphones, but with Nokia’s scale, Windows will have to play in all parts of our portfolio,”  intimates that not only will Symbian and Windows Phone 7 co-exist, but the hardware capabilities of the devices running each platform could be rather similar to one another.

This of course doesn’t explain the mysterious Verizon compatible device Engadget spotted last year.

Thanks to  Shymon, Farooq and everyone that sent this in.

Via Nokia Ecosystem

Source

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Nokia

So you've read something I've written. yay!! As you already know, my name is Andre and I'm currently a student based in Atlanta. Much like Jay, I pretty much blog here in my free time. Follow me on twitter @andre1989 or contact me directly at Andre(at)mynokiablog(dot)com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

1. bluechrism says:

I hope this is true. I can’t do AT&T and if the buyout of T-Mobile is approved, hopefully there will be some Nokia goodies on Sprint/Verizon to use instead.

2. chfyfx says:

The AT&T and T-Mobile deal will screw everyone up…
    Please, Nokia, keep it unlocked, we want freedom…

• bluechrism says:

There are a few (less than 5) small regional GSM carriers in the USA that have their own towers etc, but basically everyone else uses AT&T or T-Mobile networks and resells it. So there is effectively 2 national GSM carriers.

If there is only national 1 GSM carrier, an unlocked phone in the US isn’t much more freedom than a locked one. Sadly, freedom means locked CDMA devices with other carriers as well.

• chfyfx says:

Agree, I was just thinking about that too. But at least you can get away with unlimited data at a feature phone rate, if you keep it under the radar… But the merge might make it easier for ATT to control that..

3. inept says:

CDMA is dead. US carriers are deploying LTE for 4G, apparently including Sprint after having mostly given up on WiMax, as are most carriers across the globe.

Why would Nokia make CDMA phones for a select few using end-of-life networks when it can make LTE for everyone, including Americans?

4. deep space bar says:

i swear CDMA was dead like 5 years ago even bell,telus,virgin and solo switched to GSM/HPSA cause SIMs are much easier to handle why is the US forcing nokia to go backwards