Mark Squires, an all around cool guy and Comms Director at Nokia tweeted something pretty interesting.
Mobile World Congress is a huge mobile event on the calendar where many new upcoming phones and tablets (and maybe even partnerships) are announced. For the last couple of years it has also been pretty much an Android Convention. Nokia does attend, albeit away in their own area away from the main hubbub, with not really much news in the way of devices to be memorable.
2012 is going to be different. Hopefully. Nokia are going to be in MWC in a BIG way. Nokia will exhibit at AppPlanet and Stephen Elop will also have his keynote. Flagship Nokia Windows Phones at the ready with the Nokia stamp? We know 2012 is when Nokia will finally get their Windows Phones out properly. The first batch may not actually be all that spectacular specs wise (just possibly good enough for mass market – manufactured by Compal apparently) as it takes time to make a flagship.
What to expect?
- Will we see perhaps some WP Tango from Nokia?
- Would it be too early for Apollo, the next major upgrade equivelant to Mango? Note, Nokia may finally be integrating their assets and expertise fully into Apollo.
- What about a sneaky glance at Nokia Tablets?
- Just to reiterate some past information again, Nokia Windows Phones will be coming out in 3 month waves, totalling 12 Windows Phones for 2012.
- There most definitely should be some more Symbian handsets too since they’re supposed to be delivering 6 more right? (10 in the next 12 months from June this year, of which 4 we already know about. Not sure if any TD-SCDMA handsets would be included in that number)