More Leaks! Lumia 820 & 920 Side By Side

| September 3, 2012 | 83 Replies

Whoever @evaleaks is he seems to pose a serious problem for Nokia, as in the last two minutes he’s shown off Nokia’s new Wireless charging pad for upcoming devices, as well as both upcoming device is a glamorous side by side press shot. The yellow one (920?) seems to carry a more profound resemblance to the Lumia 800, with seemingly curved glass, while the red (820?) looks to be slightly larger, but an overall solid device. Pictured in the middle is the Luna headset announced last year (or perhaps an updated version of it?). Either way there doesn’t seem to be too many surprises left for us on the 5th (hoping that I’m wrong though).

Personally I can’t make up which one I prefer more, both look stunning as they rightfully should, hopefully their internals match the beauty of the outer shell.

*Also note both Nokia Logos are on the right of the device, making place for a carrier logo? I’m sure the red 820 would look smashing on the walls of Verizons big red store?

Admittedly though the 820 does look quite similar to the leaked HTC WP; but with a bit softer corners and a wider screen, but before anyone can cry foul neither have been released so calm down.

HTC Accord

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. Joris Bos says:

These look absolutley stunning!

• Honestly says:

Am I really the only one who is not impressed?!?!

Seeing the same design for the FOURTH TIME in a ”new” phone.

1 – N9
      2 – Lumia 800
      3 – Lumia 900
      4 – Lumia 920?!

Way to keep things original. Thumbs up for innovation. Showing us colours you haven’t done yet.
      The red phone looks like an LG

I really hope they announce something better than these two phones.

Otherwise, I see Sony becoming the new Design King

• Honestly says:

What’s more disturbing is the location of the nokia logo.

Does nokia not matter anymore?! It’s been brushed to the side like it’s some unimportant thing.

It’s be centered.

Bad omens..

I fear for wednesday. The only thing they’ll probably pull off will be the accessories.

• poiman says:

The Nokia logo that really matters (the biggest one) is in the back of the phone. For me the 920 should have the Nokia logo placed in the black empty/wasted bazel under the capacitive buttons. Maybe that’s where the carriers logos are going on the 920.

• julius says:

One can just imagine the design team at work: “ok, so we need to make phones with gigantic screens because that’s what samsung does and look how well they are doing (elop). Ok, but then we have to move up the buttons because otherwise the phone will be impossible to use with one hand (Ahtisaari). Ok, but then we have to make the top bezel supertiny so we can fit the screen (random dude). Ok, but with that thin bezel the nokia logo can’t be centered (random dude 2). Ok, don’t worry, we’re gonna cover the device with carrier logos anyway (elop). Ok, we need to wrap up, i’m about to announce these products right now, at least one quarter ahead of launch (ballmer). Fin(n)ished! (everyone)

• Dronex says:

That “finished” kinda joke was not neccessary. First of all neither Ballmer nor Elop come from Finland, second if Nokia was pure finnish company you would see a lot more awesome stuff, third these phones are still amazing (though I’d prefer to see them running MeeGo. Yop, I’m helpless dreamer). Why to change the design when it is great, people love it and it differs Nokia from the ocean of asian-designed phones? Nokia rocks! Well, except the Windows thing…

• Grendell says:

Hey Elop! How about a Maemo Harmattan variant for those so inclined?
              I love the N9 and although the L800 and L900 left me cold, the 920 leaves me positively salivating! Particularly in this lovely color!

• Honestly says:

I sincerely believe that the meeting went èxactly like that.

You weren’t actually present at that meeting now were you?!

• Bloob says:

That design has been in evolution from at least the n8, this is just the next step, and as the design has been praised, its no wonder the steps are smaller now.

• Brad says:

Haha no one complained when Apple did it

• SLAYER says:

There are many people who didn’t get any of these phones. and no one would get them as they are outdated now, it would be a waste not improve on a very desirable and still fresh design.

and this particular design hasn’t reached a saturation level as with the iPhone4/4S/5, so comparing nokia to apple is wrong IMO.

• Joel says:

New Xperia= Zune HD

• andy says:

i felt the same.all same design on a new phone.even samsung change their desgin.nokia is getting lazy.i am not impress.or else they give it quad core.

2. t t says:

Those looks very nice but is there anymore anything new to announce on wednesday?

3. schumi1331 says:

we still have Symbian Belle Feature Pack 2 on Wednesday ;)

4. et3rnal says:

3 devices, 2 yellow, look at the wireless charger picture, definitely another device

I think it the smaller one which we get its back picture lacked few days ago

5. noki says:

the L920 looks Ok not revolutionary and a bit FISHER PRICE like, the 820 I don’t like at all…is it my impression or are they glossy like?

6. Janne says:

Those might be 4.5″ and 4.3″ (right) screens?

Design sure is fine.

• dss says:

with that huge space under the screen ? Great design indeed.. if you want great design, look at the N9. These are mediocre..the Ativ S has nothing to be worried about if they look like that..

• Just Visiting says:

@dss- Are you still pissed at Nokia for going with WP?

The ATIV-S is an afterthought! The boring Samsung design will only be purchased by those uninformed, or those who are WP Samsung fans (who are far outnumbered by Nokia WP fans)!

• deep space bar says:

how is the N9 look not getting boring…stop KISSIN ASS AND FAVORING shit here….the N9 design has been destroyed since they’ve using it in too many phones already soo sudden

• dss says:

I was never mad @ them for doing what they did, I didn’t like the how.. and the whole things still doesn’t make sense to me.

Also.. We lost the Nokia we loved, now we have an OEM with no character… that is very sad.

Also, to have an amazing technology like the pureview system on the 808, which is a great way to differentiate, and not be able to use because of the OS is enough to make anyone that likes Nokia a little mad. They can’t even put Xenon on their phones, and they’ve been doing it for years! And then they want me to believe that the pureview system is not OS depended.. right.

• andy says:

i still very pissed at nokia for going with wp.

• Bloob says:

Ativ S isn’t that great, metallic paint is the ugliest thing you’ll ever see after a bit of wear and tear. N9 no buttons -approach was indeed brilliant.

P.S. those screens look the same size to me

• Anders81 says:

I made a quick comparison between the tiles in paint :) and the result was that yellow tiles were a tiny bit bigger than the red ones.
          I am looking forward to / hoping for a 3rd device…

7. shallow ocean shoal says:

Nokia definitely wins the award for Company Most Unable to Contain Leaks

8. lumia says:

metro looks suprisingly look good.. But really hope for 21mpx pv.. Reaaaally!
    Please nokia dont mess this up :/

9. Edgar Mkrtchyan says:

I do not know why but I feel that the nokia lumia 820 supposedly is nokia lumia than 720, and the supposed nokia lumia 920 nokia lumia 820 is, and the real nokia lumia 920 remained in the shade with PUREVIEW its technology, I hope to be right because the design of 720/820 too I like the 820/920 it gets better, but it did not PUREVIEW, so I expected September 5th to get my answers

• Edgar Mkrtchyan says:

I do not know why but I feel that the nokia lumia 820 supposedly is nokia lumia than 720, and the supposed nokia lumia nokia lumia 920 is the 820, and the real nokia lumia 920 remained in the shade with PUREVIEW its technology, I hope to be right because the design of 720/820 do not like it, the 820/920 it gets better, but it did not PUREVIEW, so I expected September 5th to get my answers

• Poosana says:

I had the same thought! I feel that this was a controlled leak. The 920 looks so much more like an upgraded L800 to me.

10. incognito says:

The right one, 820 or however the leaks/rumors named it, has an awful HTC flair stamped all over it. I have no qualms with the other design, even tho rehashing will become boring at one point. I’m disgusted by the contents on their screens, but that’s a whole other topic.

• dss says:

the design (if those pics are real) is pretty bad actually.. lines all over the place, proportions are off because of the huge plastic under the screen for the wp buttons, and overall.. mediocre.

• Bloob says:

I’m not a fan of the design either, but there are a surprising amount of people who seem to be. Well, how it looks and feels in real life is the deciding factor.

11. open_douche says:

Lumia 820 has rounded corners! Lawsuit! ^^

12. dss says:

nothing really exciting if they look like that.. just another Windows Phone painted something else but black.

Good luck selling those..

• Doffen says:

They will sell if heavily promoted and subsidized. At this point I seen nothing specially attractive about these compared to Samsung’s offerings. However, Nokia may some interesting hardware features of software.

• Johnny Tremaine says:

The Lumia was heavily promoted, and so well subsidized that they were selling for $0-on contract. How much more subsidized can they get, unless they give one away for free off-contract with the purchase of an Xbox or something.

• Johnny Tremaine says:

The Lumia was heavily promoted, and so well subsidized that they were selling for $0-on contract, and those didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

• Matti says:

Well, at least Nokia has mastered the bright toyish colour technology. The purple one looks like its fit for my 6 year old niece.

Could be that its just the renders. Have to wait and to see what the real ones look out in the real world. They could be OK.

13. i dont know may be it is because i have never used a Wp phone,the tiles always appear childish to me.But i do like the designs of the two.

14. i dont know may be it is because i have never used a Wp phone,the tiles always appear childish to me.But i do like the designs of the two phones.However,it haven’t stopped me from MeeGo crazyyyyy.

15. Viipottaja says:

Not too crazy about the 820 design – looks almost as if it could be waterproof! :) Might be better in person of course.

The 920 looks very nice indeed, and thin, looks like the managed to reduce the top bezel area and have a bit more at the bottom, which should make for a more ergonomic and balanced feel in hand and use experience. On my L900 I sometimes do feel the touch buttons are a bit too close to the edge/too low on the device. I gather the 920 will have the PureMotion video stabilization tech – hopefully the still camera quality is also better than on the N9/800/900.

16. masood says:

nokia xphone thats wat i want

17. Francis says:

From the picture i think WP Metro UI is very difficult to bring up some more impressive looks, if we compared the UI from WP7.5 to WP8.

Nokia is quite capable to improve the handset, but it seem that WP UI needs a lot more to catch up to the degree of hardware improvement.

Personally i hope MS will be able to re-design and introduce new fresh UI soon, it may drastically improve both Nokia & WP’s public image too, and create better momentum.

• twig says:

You need to use it before you know what you can do with it. You add pictures from wallpaper and wiztiles, pin videos,apps and web pages. You can do more you can with Symbian,android and you’re stuck in ios. The nice thing about windows is its all right in front of you,you don’t have to go searching.

• twig says:

Wallpaper app has the best pictures I’ve seen and I use 5 on my front page 4 tiles large. It look like a mix of windows and Symbian that way.

• jiipee says:

That’s not really true. The few weeks I had with L800, it took time to go to settings. The basics can be reached via tiles, I agree.

The leaked HW specs havent really been anything special. Im much more interested on the software side and what Nokia has been able to do there.

18. Janimatik says:

Is someone able to measure the screen ratio from these leaked pictures? I know its isometric view but I think it is possible to estimate that is the resolution 1280×720 (16:9) or 1280×768 (16:10)?

Btw. that other picture where 920 is laying on the charging pad and we can see the mini-usb port, is it be possible to estimate the whole thickness by the aid of usb port?

19. KF says:

so what about the leaked white one in live photos??? it looks much better than the 820(?)

20. lordstar says:

So 920 with the curved screen and the 820 flat? I wanted them both to get those curves!

21. viktor von d. says:

guys there is still that device with the curved corners that is missing. the one that got leaked a few weaks ago from the company that is producing the digitizers.

22. Doffen says:

Is it possible to set the background color of the tiles to black? The UI would look less cluttered that way. The colored tiles are visually noisy for me.

23. julius says:

One can just imagine the design team at work: “ok, so we need to make phones with gigantic screens because that’s what samsung does and look how well they are doing (elop). Ok, but then we have to move up the buttons because otherwise the phone will be impossible to use with one hand (Ahtisaari). Ok, but then we have to make the top bezel supertiny so we can fit the screen (random dude). Ok, but with that thin bezel the nokia logo can’t be centered (random dude 2). Ok, don’t worry, we’re gonna cover the device with carrier logos anyway (elop). Ok, we need to wrap up, i’m about to announce these products now, one quarter before launch (ballmer). Finished! (everyone).

24. migo says:

Ugh, asymmetrical design for both of them. I thought they got that sorted with the Lumia 900 and wouldn’t be messing it up again.